Pro Wrestling Only

1997 Recommendations

Loss

NJPW Samurai TV 11/14/97 (Pg 1969)

Jushin Liger & El Samurai vs Shinjiro Otani & Koji Kanemoto (NJPW Maebashi 09/13/97)

This matchup happened a lot but most of the time it just didn't click (especially in '95). The 9/13/97 iteration, however, is good.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds and ends '97 stuff. Seeking opinions, if anyone has them:

Ueda Tribute on Samurai TV 01/01/98 (Pg 1919)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Masakazu Fukuda (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Yoshihiro Taijiri & Minoru Fujita vs Shoji Nakamaki & Ryuji Yamakawa (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Satoshi Kojima (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Yuki Ishikawa & Naohiro Hoshikawa vs Daisuke Ikeda & Mohammed Yone (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Ikki Kajiwara Memorial Comm 10/12/97 (Pg 1888)

Tiger Mask I & Tiger Mask IV vs Tiger Mask II & Tiger Mask III (Ikki Kajiwara Memorial 10/12/97)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger (Ikki Kajiwara Memorial 10/12/97)

Wrestle Dream Factory Samurai TV 09/10/97 (Pg 1950)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Masaji Aoyagi (Wrestle Dream Factory 08/09/97)

I know 1997 isn't talked up much for Big Japan, but these look interesting:

BJPW 06/03/97 comm (Pg 1916)

Takashi Ishikawa & Kengo Kimura vs Shoji Nakamaki & Takashi Okano vs Yoshihiro Taijiri & Yuichi Taniguchi vs Kendo Nagasaki & Satoru Shiga vs Gedo & Jado (BJPW 06/03/97)

BJPW 06/07/97 comm (Pg 1916)

Jushin Liger & El Samurai vs Shinjiro Otani & Yoshihiro Taijiri (BJPW 06/07/97)

BJPW Samurai TV 06/12/97 (Pg 1984)

Yoshihiro Taijiri & Zumbido vs Black Warrior & Chicago Express (BJPW 05/29/97)

BJPW Samurai TV 08/03/97 (Pg 2003)

Yoshihiro Taijiri & Seiji Yamakawa vs Takashi Ishikawa & Kishin Kawabata (BJPW Tokyo 07/23/97)

BJPW Samurai TV 09/14/97 (Pg 1967)

Yoshihiro Taijiri & Seiji Yamakawa vs Gedo & Jado (BJPW Tokyo 07/31/97) (This is the 60 minute draw FLIK mentioned)

Odds and ends '97 stuff. Seeking opinions, if anyone has them:

Ueda Tribute on Samurai TV 01/01/98 (Pg 1919)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Masakazu Fukuda (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Yoshihiro Taijiri & Minoru Fujita vs Shoji Nakamaki & Ryuji Yamakawa (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Satoshi Kojima (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Yuki Ishikawa & Naohiro Hoshikawa vs Daisuke Ikeda & Mohammed Yone (Ueda Tribute 12/23/97)

Tiger Mask I & Tiger Mask IV vs Tiger Mask II & Tiger Mask III (Ikki Kajiwara Memorial 10/12/97)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger (Ikki Kajiwara Memorial 10/12/97)

Wrestle Dream Factory Samurai TV 09/10/97 (Pg 1950)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Masaji Aoyagi (Wrestle Dream Factory 08/09/97)

I just ordered all of this. It will be fun to go through it all, even if not all of it is yearbook-worthy.

Anyone ever see this show? It was the first super indy show of its kind, but I'm not sure what to include from it.

ACW Great 8 Tournament 12/13/97

1. Devon Storm vs. Super Nova

2. Billy Kidman vs. Ace Darling

3. Adam Flash vs. Steve Corino (this kid gets the most heat)

4. Reckless Youth vs. Don Montoya

5. Steve Corino vs. Super Nova

6. Reckless Youth vs. Billy Kidman

7. Reckless Youth vs. Super Nova (AWC Title Match)

I know 1997 isn't talked up much for Big Japan, but these look interesting:

BJPW 06/03/97 comm (Pg 1916)

Takashi Ishikawa & Kengo Kimura vs Shoji Nakamaki & Takashi Okano vs Yoshihiro Taijiri & Yuichi Taniguchi vs Kendo Nagasaki & Satoru Shiga vs Gedo & Jado (BJPW 06/03/97)

I uploaded this one online a while ago. Awesome match and for sure a must have for the yearbook i'd say.

Dylan reviewed it earlier in the thread

Pimping this

Kengo Kimura & Takashi Ishikawa vs Shoji Nakamaki & Takashi Okano vs Kendo Nagasaki & Satoru Shiga (Shadow WX) vs Yoshihiro Tajiri & Yuichi Taniguchi vs Jado & Gedo - BJPW 6/3/97

Holy fuck this was all kinds of wonderful. Just a totally crazy clusterfuck but in the absolute best possible sense of that term. This has all kind of good shit. You've got old man Kendo Nagasaki holding court with a chair and falling over dudes, coming across like a dangerously senile Verne Gagne type let lose onto the World for the final time. Tajiri doing Asai's into the fourth row, kicking out of the entire offensive playbook of Jado and Gedo, taking multiple lunatic bumps onto the floor and getting into a slap fight with Kimura. Powder throwing and guys in suits getting waffled with chairs. Nakamaki and Ishikawa bleeding and exchanging barbed wire shots. Fans almost getting trampled. Nakamaki taking a spike piledriver on the floor and actually sellling it. Ishikawa and Kimura being awesome as fuck all match, taking control during the final stanza, crushing Okano with all there brutal looking shit and then winning in a completely decisive fashion yet still looking like guys who had survived a brush with death. Absolutely great freakshow match.

Not a "must have" lvl match but I thought it was really good.

Should be noted that Misawa decided he was too cool for school and refused to re-don the hood to be a part of this so TM2 is played by a very young Yoshinobu Kanemaru instead. Great Sasuke doing the Black Tiger gimmick is is the special guest ref

None of the Taijiri matches are yearbook worthy except the one Dylan recommended. The rest are clipped, although they do appear to be good. Even the 60-minute draw was clipped. Only 20 minutes of it aired on Samurai TV, and it's good wrestling, but nothing to get excited about.

The 6/3 match is definitely a great, worthy match that will be unlike anything else on the yearbook, so there will be something. The closest thing to something yearbook-worthy was Liger/Samurai vs Otani/Taijiri. The match is excellent actually, but every three minutes or so, they cut ahead. There are going to be plenty of Liger tags on this set, and I'd like to limit it to the stuff we have in full.

Still need to go through the Ueda Tribute, Wrestle Dream Factory and the Kajiwara memorial.

Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Norio Honaga is tremendous, and not in the typical New Japan junior way. Watch Wagner's awesome lucha matwork where a lost Honaga has no response except to BITE his way out of it, watch them have eyepoke contests after Honaga mocks Wagner's showmanship, watch Wagner swing a chair at Honaga and scream "MEXICO!" and watch Wagner totally heel on the crowd and start screaming at them to shut up. Not a great match by any means, but too entertaining to not make a yearbook.

Looking at the matchlist I THINK Montoya vs Reckless and Reckless vs Kidman were the good matches.

Here's a Reckless vs Montoya match from 1/17/97 that Dave Prazak uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yF9Q_h5UUk

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but it seems like something worth checking out atleast

Watched this today, liked it a lot but wouldn't rec it for the year book. Stylisticly it would have fit right in on an ECW show with it's mix of technical stuff, crazy highspot dives, hardcore spots & 2.9 kickouts done by 2 dudes wrestling in grungy jean shorts & t-shirts. Good match but when comparing it to what was going on in ECW or WCW or Japan or any # of other companies, there's nothing about this that makes it stand out above the pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Definate no vote from me on a 40 disc set. 30 is already comprehensive. Surely people can just get the Raw and Nitro sets from that year if they want to see every angle.

Here are some Joshi matches not mentioned which I recall liking a lot:

AJW

6/17/1997 LCO vs Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada

6/18/1997 Tomoko Watanabe & Kumiko Maekawa vs LCO (WWWA TT)

8/9/1997 Manami Toyota vs Kaoru Ito (JGP)

8/9/1997 Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue vs LCO

8/10/1997 Kyoko Inoue vs Aja Kong (JGP)

8/20/1997 LCO vs Tomoko Watanabe & Kumiko Maekawa (WWWA TT)

8/20/1997 Kyoko Inoue vs Yumiko Hotta (WWWA)

10/18/1997 LCO vs Kumiko Maekawa & Momoe Nakanishi (WWWA TT)

Jd'

4/20/1997 Lioness Aska vs Bison Kimura

JWP

2/9/1997 Devil Masami & Hikari Fukuoka vs Mayumi Ozaki & Reiko Amano (JWP TT)

9/20/1997 Hikari Fukuoka vs Commando Bolshoi (JWP)

11/16/1997 Yasha Kurenai & Carol Midori vs Hikari Fukuoka & Commando Bolshoi

12/6/1997 Hikari Fukuoka vs Yasha Kurenai (JWP Title)

012/6/1997 Kanako Montoya & Dynamite Kansai vs Shinobu Kandori & Mizuki Endo

LLPW

1/5/1997 Eagle Sawai & Michiko Nagashima & Miss Mongol vs Michiko Omukai & Mitzuk Endo & Rumi Kazama

11/9/1997 Yasha Kurenai & Mikiko Futagami & Carol Midori vs Harley Saito & Noriyo Tateno & Mitzuki Endo

The yearbook definately needs at least one helping of Yasha Kurenai, who people may not be familiar with but I think will like.

Speaking of Joshi, I just received all of the 1997 non-AJW Joshi that had been recommended prior to that post, along with some things I've seen praised on various match lists. I plan on going through it fairly soon. I'm pulling insane hours at work right now, but when things settle down, I want to try to make sense of it. Right now, there is way, way, way too much Joshi. We need to cut about a third of it.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone point me to where to find these matches? They were recommended, but don't seem to be on TV or comm releases.

Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue & Takao Omori vs. Kenta Kobashi, Johnny Ace & The Patriot (AJPW 05/18/97)

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Jun Akiyama (AJPW 05/27/97)

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue (AJPW 11/28/97)

Also, can anyone provide some guidance on these?

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Kenta Kobashi & Johnny Ace (AJPW 11/15/97) AJPW TV 11/23/97 - Is this the best source?

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Hayabusa & Jinsei Shinzaki (AJPW 11/27/97) AJPW TV 11/30/97 - Is this the best source??

Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Kenta Kobashi & Johnny Ace (AJPW 11/28/97) AJPW TV 11/30/97 - Only last 9 minutes on TV, is there a better source?

The first set of questions, all the disk are referenced from Dan's 1997 sets:

http://www.crazymax.org/index.php?showtopic=53387

* Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue & Takao Omori vs. Kenta Kobashi, Johnny Ace & The Patriot (AJPW 05/18/97)

DVD #6 (of the AJ 30 set)

All Japan 30 on Nippon Tv 5/25/97

(taped 5/18 Tokyo)

Ogawa/Shiga vs. Sabu/Rob Van Dam

Kenta Kobashi/Johnny Ace/Patriot vs Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue/Takao Omori

DVD #8 (of the NTV Satalite / Samurai set)

AJ on NTV Satalite

6/20/97 (t. 5/18)

1. Kikuchi vs. Asako

2. Sabu/Rob Van Dam vs. Ogawa/Shiga

3. Allbright/Duncum Jr. vs. Kimala II/Honda

4. Williams/Lacrosse vs. Misawa

6/27/97 (t. 5/18)

1. Richard Slinger vs. Kanemaru

2. Baba/Kimura/Momota/Daisuke Ikeda vs. Fuchi/Eigen/Masao Inoue

3. Kobashi/Ace/Patriot vs. Kawada/Taue/Omori

The second one would likely be the more complete, if not full, version. I have it, but haven't watched it.

* Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Jun Akiyama (AJPW 05/27/97)

DVD #7 (of the AJ 30 set)

All Japan on Nippon Tv 6/22/97

(taped 6/6 Tokyo)

Hayabusa/Jun Akiyama vs Takao Omori/Kentaro Shiga

(taped 5/27 Sapporo)

Mitsuharu Misawa vs Jun Akiyama

Appears to only be available in the AJ 30 version. That's too bad since it shares that program with another match. Might check with Ditch to see if he's ever run across a full version, perhaps on commercial tape.

* Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue (AJPW 11/28/97)

DVD #22 (of the NTV Satalite / Samurai set)

AJ on Samurai TV

1/31/98 (t. 11/28)

1. Kikuchi vs. Masao Inoue

2. Smith/Hawkfield vs. Honda/Omori

3. Kawada/Taue vs. Misawa/Akiyama

John

On the rest:

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Kenta Kobashi & Johnny Ace (AJPW 11/15/97) AJPW TV 11/23/97 - Is this the best source?

That appears to be the only source. It took up the entire show. I think the match date is 11/23/97.

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Hayabusa & Jinsei Shinzaki (AJPW 11/27/97) AJPW TV 11/30/97 - Is this the best source??

6:30 appears on this:

DVD #23 (of the NTV Satalite / Samurai set)

AJ on NTV

January 98 (t. 11-12/97)

97 RWTL 12/5

Kawada/Taue vs. Ace/Kobashi (t. 11/27) 5:36 of 30:00

Misawa/Akiyama vs. Shinzaki/Hayabusa (t. 11/27) 6:30 of 12:34

Misawa/Akiyama vs. Kawada/Taue (t. 12/5) 3052 complete

I don't recall if the full version ever came out on commercial. Probably pretty similar to what aired on AJ 30. Might have Will analyze it to see if there's any extra that can be spliced from one onto another... but that's a pain in the ass.

Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Kenta Kobashi & Johnny Ace (AJPW 11/28/97) AJPW TV 11/30/97 - Only last 9 minutes on TV, is there a better source?

That appears to be it.

Only other option that I could think of is if any of the matches appeared on either of the Kobashi or Misawa marathons. I don't have the match lists for either of those.

John

Confirming most of what John said...

-The 5/18/97 6-man is Lynch #853.

-Misawa vs Akiyama from May is only available JIP from NTV. It aired like a month later.

http://www.slambamjam.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...gory_Code=JTV10

-Misawa/Akiyama vs Kobashi/Ace is only available in the clipped NTV version.

-Misawa/Akiyama vs Team FMW was released in full on the big Misawa Memorial deal. For instance:

http://www.slambamjam.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...;Category_Code=

-Kawada/Taue vs Kobashi/Ace is only available in the super-clipped NTV version.

-Misawa/Akiyama vs Kawada/Taue 11/28/97 is Lynch #1040.

Amazing how much crud was aired on Samurai in full while so many really good matches were clipped up.