Pro Wrestling Only

What do we know about what went down in Florda in 83-85?

Matt D

It amazes me a little more everyday how little I actually know about the history of pro wrestling in the 80s. I grew up with it in MA starting in 90 and by then there really was just WWF and WCW and a hint of GWF for me and later on ECW. I've been going through old observers and listening to a lot of shoots lately and one thing has come up a few times and I'm curious just how much we know about it.

Eddie Graham's Florida Championship Wrestling was one of the top territories in the early 80s. They had a big show at the Orange Bowl. Dusty felt like he got screwed on the house/payoff. He went to a two-bit Crockett promotion that had been barely drawing, taking a big chunk of the Florida talent with him and shortly thereafter raiding some of the Mid-South talent. Florida Championship Wrestling withers. Eddie Graham kills himself. Various owners/bookers come out of the woodwork, including Dusty and take charge of the company/booking. JCP prospers.

I've pulled this together from Barry Windham, Bill Dundee, and Billy Jack Haynes shoots, mainly. I would not call this the best oral history of wrestling I could possibly get. Do we know much more of the puzzle?

Eddie Graham's Florida Championship Wrestling was one of the top territories in the early 80s. They had a big show at the Orange Bowl. Dusty felt like he got screwed on the house/payoff. He went to a two-bit Crockett promotion that had been barely drawing, taking a big chunk of the Florida talent with him and shortly thereafter raiding some of the Mid-South talent. Florida Championship Wrestling withers. Eddie Graham kills himself. Various owners/bookers come out of the woodwork, including Dusty and take charge of the company/booking. JCP prospers.

I think Dusty spent so much on talent to get a huge gate that the show wasn't as profitable as you would expect, which is why he felt screwed on his payoff. The talk about JCP barely drawing is a big exaggeration, two of JCP's biggest shows ever (Slaughter & Kernodle vs. Steamboat & Youngblood cage match, Starrcade '83) happened in the year immediately prior to Dusty getting the book.

JCP was in a down period before Dusty took over in the late summer of 1984 here is an example of a card before Dusty took over.

JCP @ Greenville, SC – Memorial Auditorium – June 11, 1984

Mark Fleming d. Kurt Von Hess

Sam Houston d. Doug Vines

Kamala d. Gary Quartenelii

The Assassin & Paul Jones d. Rufus R. Jones & Jimmy Valiant by DQ

Don Kernodle & Ivan Koloff d. Renegade & Mark Youngblood

Buck Robley took the book from Dusty after he left but he didn't last too long and I'm not quite sure who replaced him but I think it ended up being Mike Graham. Eddie Graham had some bad business issues outside of wrestling especially in real estate and Blackjack Mulligan is positive that Eddie was murdered in a hired hit. Mike took over as owner and they would have some good talent come through with Wahoo doing some booking throughout 1985 that was fine but it wasn't the glory days. Kevin Sullivan came back in the fall of 1985 then Lex Luger exploded which was the last good business run in Florida. The talent kept getting worse and worse where you had cards like this in a 4 year span.

CWF @ Tampa, FL – Sundome – December 6, 1983

Anthony Charles d. Mr. Olympia

Sam Houston d. Mike Fever

Florida Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hector Guerrero d. Denny Brown ©

Mike Davis & Mike Graham d. The Zambuie Express by DQ

Mike Rotundo d. Kendo Nagasaki by DQ

US Tag Titles: Blackjack Mulligan & Dusty Rhodes © d. Ron Bass & One Man Gang by DQ

CWF @ Tampa, FL – Spartan Sports Center – December 4, 1984

King Cobra d. Angelo Mosca Jr.

Mike Graham d. Madd Maxx

Koko Ware d. Jay Youngblood

Brian Blair d. Jesse Barr

US Tag Titles: Krusher Khruschev & Jim Neidhart d. Sweet Brown Sugar & Pez Whatley ©

Street Fight: Dutch Mantell d. The Saint

CWF @ Tampa, FL - Spartan Sports Complex - December 10, 1985

Frank Lang d. Jack Hart

Hector Guerrero & Tyree Pride d. Cuban Assassin & Rip Oliver

Ron Slinker & Kevin Sullivan d. Mike Graham & Kendall Windham

Lumberjack: Wahoo McDaniel d. Maya Singh

Southern Heavyweight Title: Barry Windham d. Lex Luger © by DQ

Steel Cage: Blackjack Mulligan d. Mark Lewin

CWF @ Tampa, FL – Spartan Sports Complex – December 2, 1986

Brickhouse Brown vs. Jerry Grey

Bob Cook vs. Mark Starr

Dewey Forte vs. Sir Oliver Humperdink

Bahamas Heavyweight Title: The Falcon © vs. Sean Royal

Dewey Forte & Ron Simmons vs. The Sheepherders

Bad News Allen vs. Kendall Windham

The Fabulous Ones vs. Ed Gantner & Hacksaw Higgins

2 out of 3 falls: Lex Luger vs. Mr. Kareem Muhammad

Look at the difference in your lead heels there. Telling signs.

JCP was in a down period before Dusty took over in the late summer of 1984 here is an example of a card before Dusty took over.

I thought Dusty took over the book immediately after Starrcade '83. So who was in charge between Starrcade and the late summer of 1984? Was it still Dory Funk Jr.?

The down period stuff is definitely reflected in Mid Atlantic TV at the time, as there was not much going on and the crowds were smaller and less heated than you usually consider Carolinas crowds to be.

But they were coming off of a huge show that drew huge money, and in fact, had a really strong 1983 if you also consider the Steamboat/Youngblood vs Slaughter/Kernodle match months earlier that did turnaway business. How did they switch from Starrcade to business downturn so suddenly? What happened to JCP during the 1983 holiday season that killed business?

Angelo Mosca took over the book after Dory and he was the one that pushed his son over all the top heels except Dick Slater because Slater was protected for Flair. In a funny move, Mosca then went back to Florida from June-August 1984 after Dusty left before then going to WWF in September. Mosca Jr. stayed in JCP oddly throughout until finally following dad.

I think a key part of JCP TV being down from 83 to 84 was that Flair wasn't around as much after beating Race plus they were pushing the wrong guys especially as babyfaces. Dory & Valentine turned then you had Moscas, Rufus, & Valiant as the other top regular faces plus you had Steamer retiring for a while and no one was catching on as a face. Wahoo & Junkyard Dog would come in and the Youngbloods were still there but the booking just wasn't there.

Yeah they turned Valentine babyface after Starrcade which wasn't the best idea and he was miscast through his last few months there.

The Steamer retirement angle lasted through his All-Japan tour of February/March then came back for two matches with Flair in Greensboro in March/April which he returned full-time after the April match.

• 2 weeks later...