Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling's best self-promoter

Loss

A lot of the wrestlers put themselves over on that show, but I'd say those did it more than most. Lawler in the space of one show took credit for inventing the Rock 'n' Roll Express, The Fabulous Ones, and music videos in wrestling with Michael Hayes sitting dumbfounded right next to him.

He did do that. Bret and pat came across as really cool guys.

Yeah, if not Lawler then at the very least, the Memphis promotion.

The Freebirds might be the first act to come out to music but the earliest wrestling videos I have come out of Memphis.

When exactly did the Freebirds began to use intro music ? In his shoot interview, Buck Zumohfe pretends he was the first one, with the music directly coming off his boombox, as early as the late 70's.

Didn't wrestlers in Japan used music before the Freebirds ? Inoki, Baba, Abby, the Funks ?

I am pretty sure the Birds came out to music in Memphis when they were there in late 79.

KHawk can answer the Buck question.

You're right about All Japan.

I don't think I have anything to check with Buck before 1979 (one TV match with Bockwinkel, no intro other than the job-guy-name-announcment as I remember).

Buck really didn't get any sort of push until he did a thing with Heenan circa 1979-81, where they did a Weasel suit bit around the horn. I'd be hard-pressed to say he came out with any sort of fanfare (i.e., entrance music) before that. I'll look into it a bit further.