Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-16-USWA-TV] Moondog Spot vs Larry Arch

Loss

• 1 month later...

Well this is over almost before it begins. Embry runs in with a board and starts taking care of business. All three Moondogs are out and Jarrett and Lawler come out to even the sides. This is some stiff brawling.

Lawler is sick of the Moondogs and they are ready to run them off. He asks Guy Coffey for one favor -- Lawler/Jarrett/Embry/Marlin vs Moondogs/Lee.

Weird seeing Lawler okay after such a wild angle with Gilbert earlier.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Embry is out with a garbage can & weapons, and pretty soon Lawler/Jarrett and the Moondogs make their way out. Lawler wants Guy Coffee to give them a 6 man tag. Embry closes going nuts about his eyes, Texas, just about everything. Love it.

Liger/Samurai may be the best in-ring feud of the year but this is a blood feud.

• 3 months later...

Eric Embry immediately crashes a Moondog Spot squash and the other babyfaces team up to run off the Moondogs. Lawler brings out Marlin and Guy Coffee and asks for a 4-on-4 match. "Are you people sick of seeing the Moondogs??" NO, not yet! Embry cuts one of the most passionate promos of his career, and that's saying a lot. Embry even brings up that he got more cards and letters in the hospital in Memphis than his call-to-action campaign in Texas did!

They're really trying to hype this as a Final Showdown, but that can't possibly be the case--the 'dogs still have the tag titles, for one thing. Good to see the babyfaces standing tall, though.

What's noticeable is how the USWA roster has thinned mightily in the past year--Lawler shouldn't have to be doing double-duty like this with two rather heavily hyped matches.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

As Pete said, this can't really be the last battle in the war, but it sure feels like the biggest to date, especially since Lawler emphasizes that it's one time and one time only. The match doesn't last ten seconds, but it's the promos afterward which make the segment, especially Lawler and Embry. I loved Embry saying that Memphis now means as much to him as Texas, and while he'll never be as popular in Tennessee as he was in Texas, saying that had significance because of him being Public Enemies 1-10 for so long, If ever you needed to know just how hated the Dogs are at this point, that should tell you. With Lawler and Embry behind him, Jeff doesn't need to say much at all.

I originally thought this was going to be an eight-man, with Marlin and Lee getting in the ring. I liked how Coffey was very reluctant to let Marlin be any part of the match until Lawler asked for him to be included as a personal favor. I can't wait to see how that mini-storyline plays out.

Lawler's worked double duty with two hot feuds before, so him wrestling this match and the Gilbert match on the same night doesn't bother me. Maybe they could have extended the Prichard issue for one more week to keep Eddie busy, but eventually he'd have to be dealt with just like the Dogs, so one week's as good as the next.

This has to be just the second or third time I've seen the Dogs run off since they've been in Memphis. Could this be a turning point for the faces? We'll know soon enough!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-16-USWA-TV] Moondog Spot vs Larry Arch
  • 1 year later...