Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-19-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Ric Flair & Mr Perfect

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The phrase "real world champion" appears for the first time since January. Perfect rattles off all the injustices Jack Tunney has pulled against Ric Flair since his arrival--video distorting the belt, his Royal Rumble number, and the WrestleMania title match change (which Monsoon seems to think was Flair being "pulled out of the card" and goes off--as Heenan said, "Shut up Monsoon.") Flair is incensed that "some blowfish with paint on his face" has his spot at SummerSlam--oh my God, that's the greatest description of the Warrior ever.

This was another VERY strong interview, the best since the WM8 post-match. Perfect really added a lot here, dropping the historical nuggets that you don't always see in a WWF interview where so often it seems that nothing existed prior to 3 months ago.

• 2 years later...

Gino was talking over Curt because Curt, whether it was on purpose or not, was getting facts wrong all over the place. He had Flair drawing number two instead of number three at the Rumble, and he was the one who said that Flair was pulled off the card at Mania, not Gino. I have to assume that these "mistakes" were made on purpose, but I don't understand why. Flair's performance in the Rumble was already a classic without having to exaggerate it further, and it sounds like Vince didn't want to have Hogan or Sid mentioned, so "switching the main event" became "being left off the card". All these things did was make Curt look like an imbecile, and why you'd want to do that during such an important interview I can't even begin to guess.

Flair saved this with his most Crockett-like interview yet. I could have done without the yelling, but this is one time when it fit, since he was so angry at both Warrior and Tunney for being completely left off the SummerSlam card. This was the first time I can recall him referring to himself as "Nature Boy" in the WWF, and it's also the first time I can recall him using "Whether you like it or don't like it....." and "What's causin' all this?". Curt recovered from his brain cramps to deliver a perfectly acceptable "Whoo!" at the end.

Heenan sounds more out of place than ever cheerleading from the booth. Surely he can do podium interviews without worrying about hurting his neck. If he can't, then tell him to treat Flair like any other wrestler on commentary and stop trying to connect them at all. Sometimes I think that the only reason he's still referred to as Flair's "advisor" is so he can annoy Gino during Flair's interviews without Gino being able to stop it.

I liked the blowfish line from Flair about Warrior; he does sort of look like one when he gets really fired up during interviews.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-19-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Ric Flair & Mr Perfect
  • 1 year later...