Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-08-08-SMW-Fire on the Mountain] Heavenly Bodies vs The Fultons feud recap

Loss

• 1 month later...

Nice long feud recap, featuring the entire semi-famous all over the building/parking lot brawl. I love the camerawork and swearing because of the chaotic feel it gives everything. Cornette grabs a car and takes off with the Bodies, and for some reason, I find it hilarious that it's a Ford Taurus.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Great clips of how the feud developed and built to barbed wire cage match. Starts with the Bodies winning the tag titles, then an backstage brawl with chairs & boards, which spills out to the parking lot before Bodies drive off & the Fantastics break the rear windshield. Clips of another match & brawl around the arena after. Finally clips of a street fight where Bodies tie Bobby Fulton to the post.

Tough for the match to follow this video.

• 3 weeks later...

Some absolutely crazy shit--brawls through hallways into parking lots, attempted leg breakings by both parties, plastic bag suffocations, guys tied to ringposts, and what in general looks like a gloriously overbooked mess of a street fight between the two teams. This was a great table-setter though I can already justify the complaints that Cornette is too physically involved.

• 2 years later...

This feud recap aired on the 8/1 TV show as well. Most of the footage had already aired on television at this point with the exception of the SMW street fight at Summerblast which was new to me. Excellent video piece and after seeing them brawl in the hallway, the parking lot, around the arenas and that a street fight couldn't settle things between the teams, makes you think what violence is in store when they are incapsulated in a barbed wire cage?

• 6 months later...

This is some of the wildest action I've ever seen between five guys. I'd even put It over Lawler/Jeff-Moondogs because there's a definite issue involved (Jackie's knee being injured) instead of guys brawling just because that's what they do. Yes, Corny's way too involved, and he's taking far too many shots without being permanently put out of action, but as I've said before, he felt that he had to be the focal point of all the feuds he was in so someone who'd be around to stay could take the heat and the beatings. But no one can take two or three beatings in a show if the first one sends them to the hospital. Chalk one up for the realities of business over kayfabe.

I find it more egregious within real reality (as opposed to kayfabe reality) that Stan could be involved in segments like this and still insist that no one go after his headgear and toupee. Think about it: if the Fultons knew that they'd busted Stan's eardrum and were in the fight of their lives, outnumbered three to two with one of the three carrying a tennis racquet, wouldn't they go for Stan's ear to hurt him, get him out of action, and even the odds? That should have been the first thing Bobby or Jackie did.......except, of course, if they were warned by Corny not to do it beforehand, lest Stan quit and ruin not only their feud, but the upcoming Rock 'n' Roll-Bodies feud that was going to be the promotion's in-ring centerpiece.

I guess they figured that the fans wouldn't know the difference because they'd be so hepped up to see the brawl, but to a pair of eyes looking from twenty-four years in the future, this has to be one of the most ludicrous things I've seen in a sport where ludicrous is an everyday occurrence. For God's sake, Stan, either get in there and work the way we know you can or get the hell out and go sell real estate or play tiddlywinks or whatever else you want to do. You're ruining a perfectly good feud with your vanity.

I loved Phil Rainey calling both the parking lot brawl and the street fight. I don't know which slip of his I liked better: his constant references to Bobby Fulton as "Robert" (as in Robert Fuller) or him saying that one of the guys (I forget who) was Irish whipped into the belt buckle. Ah, the greatness of territorial announcing. I hope Corny gave him a raise for announcing above and beyond the call of duty!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-08-08-SMW-Fire on the Mountain] Heavenly Bodies vs The Fultons feud recap
  • 2 years later...