Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-10-03-WWF-Superstars] Bob Backlund feature / Interview: Razor Ramon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Bruno Sammartino in the last segment and Bob Backlund in this one. Were the WWF and WCW in a time warp or what? Backlund is an oddly fascinating guy though. This segment feels more like Watts-era WCW than 1992 WWF though.

Razor then comes out for a short interview with Gene Okerlund.

• 1 month later...

I thought the Backlund thimg was kinda cool. Though you really don't believe in him at this stage in the game. When he 1st returned it was like where has he been all these years? The background segment here helped to try to reestablish him. Still he was too bland for the 90's as a face.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Typically great video package on Backlund with clips of him in the ring, with the belt and celebrating with fans. Bob says he's making a comeback and his goal is to become WWF Champion again. Say what you want about the character, but it was produced to have him look great. Ramon promo talking about Savage losing his gold and machismo.

• 2 years later...

Interesting that the only guys they showed Bobby in the ring against were a jobber and Pat Patterson, who was still working in the office. They couldn't have used clips of him against someone who'd died and thus couldn't sign with the competition, like Adrian Adonis, or someone still in good standing but retired, like Sarge?

After a vignette like this, I would have thought that Bobby was just coming back for a brief nostalgia run. Who knew of the twisted greatness which lay ahead?

The Hall interview was almost too short, but I liked the intensity. He's consistently nailed the character from day one, which is tough to do with the more cartoonish characters the WWF specializes in at this time. When he talked about Randy losing his machismo I immediately thought that it was a shame that Liz had left, because I think Hall talking about how Randy had lost his belt, his machismo, and would now lose his woman to Razor Ramon would have been great stuff.

Maybe it's just me, but "El Jefe" (The Chief) is a much better nickname than "The Bad Guy".

• GSR changed the title to [1992-10-03-WWF-Superstars] Bob Backlund feature / Interview: Razor Ramon