Pro Wrestling Only

Resident Evil Quits the Board

goodhelmet

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure my recommendation will do far more harm than good, but he was actually a really nice dude. I seem to recall talking to him a fair bit when we co-moderated some sub-forum on Smarkschoice in 2005 or so.

I think he's been the victim of some serious cyber bullying though, and while many of his statements have been outlandish he doesn't really deserve the focused, incessant derision that often came from many people at once, some who seemed to make it a duty to try and provoke/insult/belittle him. His treatment in some ways represents the very worst of the internet.

He was, at least, an intriguing guy who had something different to say, which improves considerably on the vast number of clones/sheep who defer to the views popular of the time and have nothing to say of any interest or insight.

who had something different to say, which improves considerably on the vast number of clones/sheep who defer to the views popular of the time and have nothing to say of any interest or insight.

No, he basically was the opposite. He held true to what would be considered "what's good in wrestling and what isn't" in a paint by the numbers "smart mark" deal. The same old, "Dynamite Kid was a god, Stampede was the best, Bret Hart being "the Best EVER" wasn't just his character but was TRUE, Memphis sucks, Fighting spirit..blah, blah." When confronted by people who don't think the same way he'd break out the "you're all just trying to be different" horseshit...but then he'd add in the wonderful shit about how he needed to educate people to show them the error of their thinking. And how thinking about wrestling in a way that didn't jibe with his was "dangerous". And that people who didn't like what he considered great were just jealous that people / wrestlers are so great and that not liking them or their matches was just bitter people trying to bash what they could never do in order to justify their pathetic non Stampede Wrestling lives.

I mean, yummmm..That's some good crazy, right there.

^^^

You're disproving your own point. Most of the opinions you accuse him as having there ('Memphis sucks', 'fighting spirit', 'stampede the best' etc) are fairly contrarian nowadays, especially in the circles he posts. It's good to hear a dissenting voice, even if it may be wrong, when everyone else is waxing lyrical about Lawler and dark bloody Memphis brawls and how fighting spirit sucks and is OTT. It's not 2001 anymore - his opinions perhaps reflected the original 'paint by numbers smart mark' but they in no way represented the consensus of internet fans today.

Many of his posts were slightly bizarre and questionable but at least he had opinions different than what the majority were stating. He certainly didn't deserve the treatment he received.

Entertaining, sure. His freak show appeal is the only thing that kept him from being banned outright. But "really nice dude"?

How in the world is "I'm just not a bandwagon cheerleader who wants to have sex with him like everyone else here" a compliment, much less a peace offering ???

Victim of cyber-bullying, my ass. He was as big of a cyber-bully as anyone, he just wasn't very good at it. This guy basically saw anyone who didn't agree with him on anything as not just wrong, but an inferior lifeform. I mean, maybe he was "nice" in that he was a Cyberman who wanted to assimilate you because of your inferiority rather than a Dalek who wanted to exterminate you because of it. Still, most non-insane people wouldn't see that as very nice at all, and I think we were entirely justified in trying deflate that massive ego. I mean seriously, who could really sympathize with this jerk? Who could look at someone who treated people as sub-human just because they were different from him, and proclaimed his superiority over....oh, wait, nevermind.

Victim of cyber-bullying, my ass. He was as big of a cyber-bully as anyone, he just wasn't very good at it.

Just because he was a "bully" doesn't mean he wasn't bullied. I may be wrong, but I never saw him go out of his way to attack someone here, DVDVR, or elsewhere. His bullying came after the initial "RE is an idiot," post someone made to feed the troll and make themselves feel better by default. And its not like he bullied members for no reason -- he angst was directed at people that have "chased" him from board-to-board, thread-through-thread, and year-after-year.

This guy basically saw anyone who didn't agree with him on anything as not just wrong, but an inferior lifeform.

Slightly hyperbolic. Besides, RE was the only thought police here or at DVDVR? Not condoning it, but yeah, he wasn't the only one and not even the worst of the bunch either.

I think we were entirely justified in trying deflate that massive ego.

But maybe your efforts should have been going elsewhere instead because there are plenty of egos that are not only larger but far more venomous. And the operative word 'we' is telling.

I mean seriously, who could really sympathize with this jerk?

In a way, and 'sympathize' is the wrong word to use, but I do feel sorry for the guy. I blame him for a lot of his misfortunes here-elsewhere, but we're not exactly the most welcoming crowd to get along with. Hell, simply because I have made several mistakes -- peeps come out of the wood work when I'm ever in an argument. But with RE, he always got a highly concentrated dose of members coming at him when he talked about his favorite matches, angles, whatever. And it's what fed him to continue his inane posts, which only chastised members like yourself into poking him with a stick a few more times. RE got the attention he wanted (sometimes) and you got to feel superior over someone who clearly is missing parts of his mental functioning. So I can't sympathize with you either man, because you were a big part of the RE problem. I bet you've logged on (maybe more than once) with the main priority of finding out what RE has said in response to one of your essays tearing him apart.

RE is sick because he knowingly put stuff out into cyberspace that he could have only known by then that it would cause Ragnarok and then once it had been disputed, he argued to the hilt (more often than not) -- but on the flip side, we had members like yourself that instigated stuff with him all the time, called him bat shit crazy for even attempting to defend himself, rode him into the ground, and had the mental capacity to understand what he was doing was wrong. You've spoken about morality several times -- can you honestly say that your interactions with RE were of great moral significance? I mean, unless he was calling you out (kind of like how I'm addressing you now) then by what means other than self-interest to argue and humiliate did you have a singular reason to communicate with RE? Point being, is there *one* friendly interaction between yourself-RE in existence or has it always been "SLL cyber cock-punching RE into oblivion"?

Who could look at someone who treated people as sub-human just because they were different from him, and proclaimed his superiority over....oh, wait, nevermind.

Ironic, yeah, but is it necessary to open up that can of worms again, SLL? I mean, what was the point of adding that? Someone differs with your train of thought and you poke him with a stick too, kind of like how by the time you've gotten to this part of my post you've probably already made several bullet points to defend, counter, and attack my post with a Dylan Waco inspired tirade questioning my sanity. But hopefully you've grown since RE left.

Nevertheless.

I am glad RE is gone. Threads can go on being torn apart without the necessity of the RE post and the dozens that naturally followed to castrate his every thought because it was their civic duty.

Don't bring my name into this cyber bully

Or what?

Besides, its not like I'm at other message boards where you're not a member of while mentioning your name in unflattering ways.

RE quotes:

Bix, you scare me.

Nash and Hogan may not have as devoted as Guerrero and Benoit but they too were built from the same cloth. Hogan has a lot of the same working traits that Benoit and Guerrero do. Nash has some too especially when he was in the WWF and his first stint in WCW.

WRONG and Meltzer is totally right.

A) They do hold up. 4/21/83 is still one of the best matches of all times and has the privelege of being a match that can't be duplicated

While on a rant, a lot of Sayama's backlash and DK's too for that matter is that people always tear down what is obviously the best out there. People always tear down people who are better at something so they can feel and cheat themselves up higher in the totem pole of life. The scary thing is that people don't even conciously know when or why they're doing this. Than they embrace mediocrity or something not quite as good as the best as a way to justify not getting their self esteem by actually going out and doing something .... I have to go but I continue on this rant if i have time.

You are comparing 80s matches to other 80s matches from a 2011 brain. I am one of the few who can actually put myself in the 80s. Also, you are comparing 80s to s80s in what you think is good wrestling from your perspective, not what was actually great wrestling than and what is actually great wrestling now.

Yeah, it's true and I venture that even a lot of the "diehard" Lawler fans and the bandwagon Lawler fans know it too. That's partly why you have so many people cheering for him -- They know a lot of people think Lawler sucks so than they turn around and think they're all important because they're saying he rules.

Maybe Lawler doesn't sexually abuse children, maybe he does. I don't know but I do know he gives off that same vibe that I feel from others who I know are sexually evil.

One of the scariest things of my youth was when I walked in on my Dad using the bathroom before. I commented on how big his penis wise as he was in the process of urinating. He than told me that he had to cut it off down the river and it was laying down beside the road somewhere. That kind of frightened me. I was than afraid that your penis would keep on growing and growing until you had to cut it off with a knife like Dad did. Not only was I worried about steeping on my father's penis down the river (a large block of land behind the trailor that eventually leads to a river) but I hated the thought of cutting my own penis with a knife. It was just something I didn't want to do. I kind of thought he was lying at the time but it was still enough to scare me. You don't know these kind of things when you're young.

Uh...where the hell did he say that?

That sounds eerily similar to some Silence of the Lambs antagonist childhood memories.

In RE's defense, i've known lots of parents who tell their kids stupid shit like that including my own so it's not an uncommon ocurance.

Oh, man. The TSM archives are an absolute gold mine. Like this thread, which is chock full of VINTAGE WP/RE nuttiness. He starts with the insane claim that the Rocky series has more hardcore fans than the Star Wars series, and it spirals out of control from there.

ETA: I almost forgot to mention that he refers to Rocky's bouts as five-star matches.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=74188

Also: I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!

For anyone who doesn't know leg work is by far the toughest voluntary physical thing you can do in life. If you want to you can literally make yourself throwup in a matter of minutes. I was working hard that night and started to feel a little funny downstairs but I just kept on going anyway. Set after set and than BOOM! I was bouncing up and down on the bench. I don't even really think I had an erection beforehand so it's something I've never encourted afterwards since. To tell you the truth it scared me because I didn't know what was going on. This was when I put 2 and 2 together and discovered masturbation. In the months afterwards there were a few times where I know I could've done the same thing on the bench again but I stopped before anything could erupt. Maybe I'll try for another orgasm on the bench someday but I'm kind of scared as there's no research that I know of to tell me if this is safe or not. Orgasms/Benches/Limpness and You. Maybe I should write a book.

I will say one thing. I have never, ever even come close to the amount of fluid discharged on that memoarable night. Peter North himself would've been proud.

I'm gonna keep this part shortish for once so I can answer the three major questions and still have time to do anything else with my day.

You've spoken about morality several times -- can you honestly say that your interactions with RE were of great moral significance?

Not really, no, in that it was very much a vice on my part, but I can't really look at it and say he didn't have it coming first time every time.

I mean, unless he was calling you out (kind of like how I'm addressing you now) then by what means other than self-interest to argue and humiliate did you have a singular reason to communicate with RE?

None whatsoever. Purely self-interest. Well, some other guys seemed to find it amusing, too. But really, that's it. I didn't have to do it, and I probably shouldn't have, really....it's a vice. But my worst crime is, like, the 790th worst crime of his, if that, so I can't really feel that badly about paying evil unto evil here.

Point being, is there *one* friendly interaction between yourself-RE in existence or has it always been "SLL cyber cock-punching RE into oblivion"?

YMMV WRT "friendly", but there were definitely neutral interactions. Also - and I'm not saying this to be congratulated or anything, it's just the one legitimate defense of my actions on a level above "making fun of WildPegasus is fun" - I take a small degree of pride in the fact that when dealing with internet stupids or suspected internet stupids, I almost always first approach them with some level of diplomacy. Admittedly, it probably comes off as passive aggression a lot of the time, but it is sincere. Everyone deserves at least one chance to explain themselves, and I'll give more than that if I'm still on the fence on whether or not a guy is an asshole or just misunderstood. And even if I do conclude you're an asshole, I'm pretty generous with second chances if you can convince me that I was wrong, or if you show that you've seen the error of your ways.

I gave WP/RE all of those chances and more to show everyone that the negative opinions of him - including my own - were wrong. Every chance to prove he was misunderstood. Every word of honest advice to get him to see why he was in the state he was in, and how he could get out of it. But in the words of Abba Eban, WildPegasus "never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity". In fact, nearly every time I offered him a chance to show he was better than we had thought, he actually ended up proving to be worse. Honestly, as bad as the cyber-bullying against him may have been, I kinda feel like my cyber-guidance counseling may have hurt him even more. I sincerely tried, on a number of occasions, to dig through the online muck to find the real person underneath to understand and empathize with, at least to a small degree. But the more I dug, the more that real person started to look like John Wayne Gacy.

Even in the Rand thread, literally the end of our long, bitter rivalry, where he was at the absolute peak of his insanity and my insults were at their harshest, I still offered up this, at the end of what could be the very last post I ever directed at him:

If you can look past yourself for a fraction of a second, you'll notice that for all the nasty things I write, I treat most people pretty respectfully. The fact that I don't treat you that way means that you should maybe stop jacking off to your own reflection and look a little closer at the man in the mirror. It means you maybe should ask him to change his ways. If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change. And while you may say you're willing to do that, and you may even say you've already done it, you may want to keep in mind that the last guy who said he was doing those things without actually following through didn't turn out too well.

And hey, if you ever do turn things around, I'll gladly call off the dogs.

And yeah, that's not the friendliest peace offering you'll ever see, and it was sandwiched between me calling him "a lying, hypocritical, narcissistic, delusional, psychotic, embarrassing, ephebophiliac, closet cased goon" and joking about him fucking sheep, but I was sincere about that, even in that late stage of the game.

And again, none of that justifies my behavior, but I feel worse about the fact that I wasted all that time and energy that I could used on something more productive than that I hurt the feelings of a really, truly, horrible person.

Start quoting memorable shit, assholes! There... that is some cyber bullying.

That's not cyber-bullying. That's just plain fun!

For the record, gorgeous women with healthy looking pussy is what makes me happy. Be careful about calling females girls. Some take offense to it. Ladies is a better word.

So there was a lot of tension I believe with the fans and with storytelling tension is what makes it work (also seduces females but that's antoher story for another day).

I would not want to see Ito hit one of those footstomps on a pregnant woman

As long as I'm on my soapbox, I think people these days also judge from an art perspective too much and/or what they want to see instead of accepting the match as "Real" and than judging it on those merits.

Eh, I even know why you are like you are in message boards and how that relates to biological wiring inside you to reproduce.