Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-04-21-AAA-Sin Limite] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera

Loss

• 1 month later...

This was tremendous. I know the 3/16/96 match between these two has always been the one that got the most praise, and I want to re-watch it before I rank all the 90s matches together to make sure I didn't sell it short. But this had all the good stuff of that without the overbooking. Rey and Juventud totally expose themselves as tape watching nerds by aping moves from pretty much every major Japanese wrestler and mixing them into a match that works in lucha libre. Rey ends up winning this when Juventud is counted out after the third fall when Rey does an incredible dive, and I love how they sell it with Psicosis tying up his arm and Juventud shrieking in pain. Lucha candy with a Japanese center.

The Rey vs Juvy matches in 95 were some of the first lucha I ever saw back when I was first exsposed to non US wrestling years and years ago, I recall being really disapointed by their AAA stuff after hearing so much hype for it. I'd allready seen them wrestle in ECW & WCW by this point and didn't think their Meixico matches were nearly as good.

Wonder if my opinion would change any if I went back and watched now. After this and a few other things I saw early on I kind of developed the opinion for a while that luchadors weren't nearly as good in a lucha setting as they were out of it (which I no longer think but still)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I thought this was pretty good, and a fun change of pace for a lucha title match as they really go balls-out here with no conceit of trying to prove who's the superior mat wrestler. That plays to both guys' strengths. Each guy busts out a joshi-style suplex to win their respective fall, then Rey levels Juvy with a spectacular springboard dive over the guardrail, leading to a double countout. Weak finish. Good sort of gateway for lucha novices, though I don't see this as a strong lucha match for the year either.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-04-21-AAA-Sin Limite] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera