Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-09-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette & Bruiser Bedlam

Loss

• 1 month later...

Jim Cornette hypes up the debuting Bruiser Bedlam. Good idea to just have him stand there and look tough while Cornette does most of his promo for him. When he finally talks, he reminds me of a smaller Road Warrior Animal in his speaking style and body type.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Jim Cornette is laughing as ‘The Bruiser’ is here! How did he find Bruiser Bedlam? Last August he was in Detroit, MI for Summerslam in his hotel room when the phone rang, he picked it up and a voice at the other end said ‘Jim Cornette, I want to become a wrestler. I’m big, bad, mean and tough and I like to beat people up’. He was a bit dismissive having heard that so often in the past, but the voice said that he’s in the lobby, just come on down and see what you think. He wanted a laugh so went down to the lobby, but when the door opened what was standing in front of him was as big as a house, strong as an ox and twice as smart. He went over and asked him his name to which he replied ‘Johnny Bedlam, but my friends call me Bruiser. All I like to do is beat people up and I want to do it for a living’. He kept him back, kept him in hiding waiting for the right moment and that right moment came when he needed to get rid of Bob Armstrong. The Bruiser says that he gets paid to beat them, he’s the baddest and he’ll fight anyone! Cornette is laughing and says that the word bedlam means chaos, pandemonium, a scene of wild mad uproar, and that’s exactly what this man causes ‘bedlam’. Remember the name Bruiser Bedlam because Bob Armstrong sure will.

Bedlam looks like an absolute nut job, which it transpires he is, although it’s a shame there appears to be no sign of the Cornette - Armstrong feud going away just yet. If Cornette had him in hiding since Summerslam, why then didn’t he use him instead of the ‘secret weapon’ or why was he paying all this money for hired guns like Terry Funk and Dick Murdoch? There are usually very little holes in SMW booking and storylines, but this is just another example of this feud being tired, played out and beyond stale.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-09-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette & Bruiser Bedlam