Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-07-SMW-TV] Jim Cornette and Bruiser Bedlam training video

Loss

• 1 month later...

Cornette cuts a promo on Randy Savage, who is coming into SMW. What a coup for SMW! They are at Total Fitness in Knoxville, where Bruiser Bedlam is prepped to bench press over 500 lbs.

Then, we get Bedlam driving nails through a board with his bare fist and breaking beer bottles over his head.

Cornette is outstanding narrating this, to a point where it may be one of the best things he has ever done.

As a video to get over a new guy, this is also a fantastic piece of business, and the type of thing I wish we saw more of these days.

SMW taking the production values to the next level. We hit the gym again. This was funny with Cornette talking in the background as Bruiser bench presses and cuts a brief promo after each success. Punching the nails through the board was cool and he breaks bottles over his head. Bedlam was charming here.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know why, but the bodybuilder silhouette guy transitioning scenes is really cool. Cornette cuts an awesome promo on Randy Savage, and does his best to get over Bruiser Bedlam as a major threat to him. Bedlam is as generic of a musclehead as it gets but Cornette singlehandedly makes this. Getting his stomach claw over by having him put nails through a board is such a fantastic idea.

Loss wishing a video like this would take place today has me thinking over who would benefit from it the most. I'd actually like to see Bray Wyatt training his family members like this.

• 1 year later...

Jim Cornette says how Bob Armstrong is so upset that he can’t get back in the ring because of the injunction that he filed and that he can no longer fight his own fights, so for the Volunteer Slam he’s got one of the biggest stars in the history of professional wrestling to come to Knoxville and take on Bruiser Bedlam. They’re doing a little training around Knoxville today and Cornette wants Bob Armstrong and Randy Savage to see exactly what they’re up against. Bedlam bench presses 405lb as a ‘warm up’, before pressing 545lbs, drives nails through a board with his bare hands and breaks beer bottles over his head busting him open.

This was very reminiscent of the old Jos Le Duc Memphis vignettes and despite all these feats and Cornette working overtime on the promo and claiming that Bedlam is the most dangerous wrester in the world, I’m really struggling to get into him.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-05-07-SMW-TV] Jim Cornette and Bruiser Bedlam training video