Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-06-25-WCW-Pro] Steven Regal vs Larry Zbyszko

Loss

• 2 months later...

I think this is their last match on the yearbook, which makes me sad, as I am by no means tired of the feud. It's yet another really good match. This reminds me of Regal/Finlay, and they show a lot more hate at this point than in previous matches. Regal grounds him at one point and throws repeated forearms in his face before rubbing his face in the mat, which is pretty awesome. The fight over the butterfly suplex is the sort of super cool thing that very few feuds in wrestling could produce at this point. Larry has this awesome comeback where he's trying to shake off Regal's stiff forearms and can't quite do it. His Indian Deathlock/Figure Four thing is really cool too. Things eventually get out of hand when Dundee runs in with the umbrella, and we get a DQ, which based on this match is the perfect finish. I'll miss this fantastic feud dearly.

Larry has been getting more and more aggressive in these matches as they have gone on. Solie puts over Larry’s golf game. There is indeed clubbering going on in this match. Love Regal’s forearm shots. We get a DQ finish which is disappointing as I figure we will get more matches from the two but I guess that won’t be the case. Would have liked some type of closure on this feud. Agreed with Loss that sad to see this fued will no longer be on yearbook. Much thanks for including these matches though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a fucking fight. I mean they fight in the center of the ring, on the mat, in the corner, and on the outside around the ring. The finish was great as Sir William gets involved and Larry Z savagely beats him and Regal with the umbrella. Tremendous, aggressive fight and one of my favorite feuds ever.

More intensity and good brawling was shown here than in either of the previous ECW matches. Larry and Regal both showed great fire and this is my second favorite match between them. Perfect finish too for Larry to be standing tall but not having the title. God will I miss this feud.

Since this is the last match from Regal on this yearbook, I wanted to talk a little about him. If I were doing a stock going up type column for the year he would firmly be in the going up portion. I had preconceptions of his WCW that it featured numerous time limit draws with decent action but a lot of rest holds. In addition to his yearbook matches, i watched a few matches from him on youtube (vs. Pillman at SS, vs. Badd at BATB) and this could not be further from the truth. Those were merely good matches but in his three showcase performances of the year ( vs. Arn at Superbrawl, vs. Flair Queensbury, and Larry feud) he delivered in all three tremendously and felt like a top guy. There is a good bit of revisionist history going on about how WCW really mistreated Austin at this time and he should have been a top star. From what we have seen so far, I would rather Regal had gotten those shots as I think a feud with him vs. Hogan, Sting, and Vader in the next two years would have been tremendous. He had a great year and really bolstered his case in my eyes as a great all time worker.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another stiff fight, that takes the intensity of the Clash and ramps it up a notch. You'd like to see a pinfall to finish things off, but Larry going nuts with the umbrella was pretty cool in its own right. Great little footnote to a classic feud. Nice to see Solie get to call one of these matches.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-06-25-WCW-Pro] Steven Regal vs Larry Zbyszko