Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-24-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXVIII] Hulk Hogan and the masked man

Loss

• 2 months later...

"We are looking on in horror, as you are now." DON'T TELL ME HOW I FEEL, TONY SCHIAVONE. Other funny Tony without context here: "I apologize, there's Greg Gagne, this is absolutely horrible!" This is a terribly overacted and poorly executed angle, but it made me laugh, so there's that. But now Hogan will never skate in the Olympics! Gotta love the pre-printed fan signs planted in the crowd. "CEDAR RAPIDS LOVES HULK & WCW"

Other funny Tony without context here: "I apologize, there's Greg Gagne, this is absolutely horrible!"

That line pretty much kills any attempt for me taking this segment serious. Tony's delivery of it was great.

Anyways, when do you ever see this many people come out when a wrestler gets attacked? Gene tries to upstage Raymond Rougeau for most inappropriate time to do an interview.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Oh God. The first horrible Hogan angle. Maybe I should keep a count. Hogan's acting is godawful. It's so overdone and oversold it's not funny. Well, it is funny as a matter of fact.

Gene : "This is the most horrifying thing I've never seen"

The masked man surely hit Hogan's knee from under his knee.

This is not a horrible attack, this is a horrible angle. And it's still going on as I'm typing. And I laugh quite a bit. "This is the worst nightmare of any wrestling fan" says Gene. Yeah, you don't say.

SERIOUSLY ?

• 1 year later...
HUMAN

UNDERSTANDING

LOVING

KINDNESS

The Most Awesome Force in WCW History is undone by a pipe to the back of the knee. Hogan and Okerlund are both absolutely horrible here. One last Tonya & Nancy reference on this Yearbook, but that story was absolutely stone dead by this point. Okerlund gives a hilariously overwrought soliloquy about how a grand and glorious night has turned into wrestling fans' worst nightmares. I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes. "THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A SHAM." Well, Gene's right about that. Thirty guys in suits are immediately out to check on Hogan, and Okerlund's there to helpfully browbeat the medical staff, yet Sting doesn't get the same treatment when the same thing happens to him on another Clash. Bischoff, who has lots of ambulance-riding-with-top-babyfaces experience, follows Hogan to a hospital (their words).

I'm ashamed to admit I really bought into all the masked man stuff at the time this was airing, and I was excited for the WCW debut of either Mr. Perfect or a heel Ultimate Warrior. That's surely what they had to be building toward, right?

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-24-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXVIII] Hulk Hogan and the masked man