Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-30-ECW-TV] Shane Douglas vs 2 Cold Scorpio / Interview: Shane Douglas / Dennis Coralluzzo and Tod Gordon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Finish of Shane Douglas winning the NWA title, followed by him throwing down the NWA title and declaring himself the first ECW World Champion. It had to be here, of course.

We cut to Dennis Corraluzzo cutting a promo about stripping the title from Douglas and ... wait, I thought this was a legit doublecross. I'm confused.

After that, Todd Gordon does the famous proclamation that NWA Eastern Championship Wrestling is dead and in its case is Extreme Championship Wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme Championship Wrestling is born! Shane Douglas cuts the best promo of his life and throws the NWA title belt to the floor and retrieves the ECW title and declares himself the ECW champion instead. Coralluzzo cuts what seems to be a planned interview and then Todd Gordon closes down Eastern Championship Wrestling and immediately begins Extreme Championship Wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Historic moment, though this is another match with pretty terrible work at the finish. Douglas throws some of the worst strikes you'll ever see. Then the famous post-match promo--hey, check it out, blatantly canned "E-C-W" chants. Dennis Coraluzzo cuts a newscast-style man-on-the-street promo and talks of going to the NWA Board of Directors and says that Douglas is still the champion. Tod Gordon gets around that by folding Eastern Championship Wrestling and opening a new company, Extreme etc. etc. How very Japanese shoot angle-y of everyone.

Stop referring to "the ECW," dammit.

• 1 month later...

This wasn't a great match, but each of them had already worked twice that night, so it's hard to fault them for not having a lot left in the tank. It was nice to see them focus mostly on wrestling, aside from the one trip to the floor and Shane's suplex onto the guardrail. The finish left a bad taste for me, I'm fine with Scorp wiping out on the moonsault, and Shane taking advantage with the belly to belly, but Shane has to blow off the Tombstone piledriver in the process. What I really found hard to swallow though, with the hindsight of knowing what was going to happen, was Styles' commentary. He's pretty much kissing the NWA's ass the entire time, with all sorts of namedropping going on.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-30-ECW-TV] Shane Douglas vs 2 Cold Scorpio / Interview: Shane Douglas / Dennis Coralluzzo and Tod Gordon