Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-10-04-ECW-TV] The Sandman vs Tommy Dreamer

Loss

• 2 months later...

Sandman gets his own cigarette to his eye. Tommy then grabs the cane from Woman and hits him across the face. Sandman quits due to this injury. They are playing this up as very serious as damage control comes out to attend to Sandman. He is quickly taken from ringside. Where is Ray Rougeau to interview Sandman at this point? Woman is hysterical. Sandman needs to be taken to hospital. Cameraman gets booted from backstage. Shout out to Gabe. He gets the info that Sandman has suffered serious injuries to his eyes.

Last few minutes. Sandman accidentally takes a cigarette to the eye. They sell it like he's blinded and Dreamer wins the match. Everyone goes into a panic and people rush the ring to stretcher him out.

Woman is hysterical and yells at Dreamer, who seems apologetic.

Um ... he had a cigarette in the ring, WHAT THE FUCK DID HE THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?

Woman is once again great in this.

Gabe Sapolsky gets a name drop. The report so far is that one eyelid was burned due to the cigarette burn, and the other eyelid was completely torn off! Of course, you can call the hotline for updates on Sandman.

• 2 weeks later...

Best part of this feud so far. Styles is awful showing sympathy for the Sandman talking about how Dreamer will have to live with what he has done. You didn't see magnum TA crying about injuring Tully so I don't know what someone that has been constantly beat up with a cane and weapons should feel bad about using it. Backstage the scene gets more chaotic.

• 1 year later...

For me personally, this is what made ECW a must-follow. Moreso than the NWA title stuff, which even at the time just came off as indie promoter squabbling. This was truly compelling stuff. The execution isn't exactly perfect, watching it now, but it's well-done--especially once we get backstage. GABE SAPOLSKY files a report from the hospital and I seriously had to mute the TV when Styles started talking about eyelids and such. Eye injuries are just too much for me. All in all a good piece of business that had a lot of the so-called smartest fans in wrestling completely fooled.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-10-04-ECW-TV] The Sandman vs Tommy Dreamer