Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-03-ICW-TV] Tony Atlas, Paul E. Dangerously and Austin Idol

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Tony Atlas explains to us what it takes to be a champion in another terrific promo.

We cut back to Paul E. and whoever the ICW TV host is in the ICW studio. Paul E. talks about Paul Orndorff returning to wrestling, and does a good job putting his return over as a big deal. Great promo.

We close things out with a music video of Austin Idol set to David Lee Roth's "Shy Boy". This looks like a video made in Memphis that they were just able to procure.

Jesus, Atlas has been a fucking revelation here. What a complete fucking waste that neither of the Big Two were able to find any way to use him in a manner, at this point, befitting his absurdly underrated mic skills. I know he was past done in the ring, but THAT never stopped anybody in charge. Actually I'd like to have seen Atlas get involved in the Lawler/Snowman feud.

At the desk they run down what actually looks like quite a fun card in Philadelphia, and Paul E. informs Paul Orndorff that he made a grave mistake in signing an open contract and allowing himself to face a member of the Dangerous Alliance.

Was Leopard Man Johnny Grunge, or somebody else?

Leopard Mask's identity has always been a complete mystery to me and everything I can find online just shows it as an alternate gimmick for Ted Petty, who's obviously Cheetah Kid here. I've never heard of Grunge teaming with him before Heyman put them together as Public Enemy (the idea was to put Petty together with his favorite opponent as a new tag team) and I doubt Grunge was ever that skinny.

Who was around back then that would fit?

• 2 weeks later...

Best and clearest sounding Atlas promo talking about what it means to be a champion. Amazing job talking about how hard the road is and how unlikely it is from them to become the champion because they are facing him.

Paul gives a great early promo making Orndorff coming in as a big deal.

Austin Idol video did look straight on loan from Memphis but was good nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Atlas holds the mic in a way that he can flex his muscles. Runs down a bunch of wrestlers who don’t know what it’s like to be a champion.

Heyman describes how wonderfully Paul Orndorff looks. But he will be just another wrestler to go down to the Dangerous Alliance.

Music video of Idol. Don’t think I’ve seen much of anything of him in the ring. Guys stand around in the ring waiting for Idol to punch them.

Another good Tony Atlas promo. I always thought he was a terrible promo but ICW is changing minds here. Now I wish he had gone to SMW in '93 to be managed by Tammy. Sure, it was a racist as hell idea, but we probably would have gotten some good promos out of it before Atlas was lynched, right?

Typical Paul E promo, both building up Paul Orndorff and Austin Idol for a match that I presume never took place, mostly because I assume Idol no-showed.

We close this segment out with a nice Idol music video that was probably used during his latest return to Memphis prior to this.

• 1 year later...

Where was Vince's head, signing Atlas to be Saba Simba? He'd have been a hell of a heel challenger to either Hogan or Warrior, and Slick would have been a perfect fit as a manager although Tony was miles better than him on the mic. He could have also gone solo like Bad News Brown did.

Orndorff-Idol sounds like a fun indy feud. Cox brought this up just above, but did this match take place, on this card or any other around the same time?

The video was a Memphis special, but it was nice to see Idol going to town on the Road Warriors.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Atlas says what does it take to be a champion? Bob Orton Jr will never know, Ivan Putski will never know, Joe Savoldi will never know, the list goes on. Everyone wants to now know what it takes to be a champion. Vic Steamboat now wants to know, Tom Prichard now wants to know and the 6’9”, 300lbs big boy wants to know what it is to be a champion. You’ve got to walk down that aisle, walk it by yourself, and at the end of that aisle, the end of that road, you’re not going to see a rainbow, you’re going to see 285lbs of nothing but steel waiting for you. At the end of that road you’ll find out what it means to be a champion because you’re going to meet one. You’re going to see one when you walk in and when you look up off the canvas, you’re going to see one walking out, leaving you in the ring!

Paul E. is with his co-host and the co-host says that there is a major event coming to Philadelphia on 3/31, and although not an ICW event, there are many ICW superstars competing on it (the line-up includes Lethal Weapons vs Cheetah Kid & Leopard Man, Bam Bam Bigelow vs Terry Gordy in a cage and Paul Orndorff vs Austin Idol). Heyman says that everyone in the wrestling world is talking about the return of Paul Orndorff, as they read in the magazines how he came back and gave Kerry Von Erich the fight of his life in Ohio, about how he’s looking to come back and rebuild one of the greatest reputations in wrestling history. The biggest mistake he made though was not signing to face a specific opponent, saying that he would fight anyone. He didn’t count on Paul E. Dangerously wanting to get that main event pay though. The same Paul E. Dangerously who at the last Philadelphia show took out the Sammartino family, laying out David and making Bruno look like a fool. On 3/31, Paul Orndorff is going to learn why Austin Idol, Tommy Rich and Paul E. Dangerously shaved Jerry Lawler’s head in Memphis, TN, why they did everything they everything that they ever wanted to do, it’s because when it comes to the ‘Universal Heart Throb’, the women’s pet, the men’s regret, you ain’t seen nothing yet!

Austin Idol music video set to ‘Shy Boy’ by David Lee Roth. This appears to be several years old and is heavy on AWA and Memphis clips. We see Idol unloading on Nick Bockwinkle (great punches and selling here!), manhandling the Road Warriors and facing the Great Kabuki. Added bonus of Idol in the hot tub and flexing in the gym!

Couple of really good promos and an enjoyable little muscic video.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-03-03-ICW-TV] Tony Atlas, Paul E. Dangerously and Austin Idol