Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-13-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Arn Anderson & Sid Vicious

Loss

• 2 months later...

Arn and Sid are grumpy after a rough night at the Great American Bash. Arn looks hung over over the Bash woes, and cuts a chilling promo. They are making a hit list of all of the people who contributed to Sting winning the title. Sid hints at restarting the feud with Luger. He says he doesn't have blond hair, but I'm too scared to point out to him that he actually does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love Arn here; he basically says that the Horsemen are only a unit because the NWA, and more specifically Sting, made them that way. Somehow, the idea of a Horsemen group formed through mutual greed and lust for power is even scarier than the traditional "family-first" model. This would also explain why they went out and got a monster like Sid, even though he doesn't fit the traditional Horseman mold.

Speaking of Sid, he still wants Luger, and claims that he's not your ordinary blond-haired prima donna. I don't think that was supposed to be a shot at Flair, but if it was, even a veiled one, it only underscores the mercenary nature of the group, in that their hired muscle doesn't care one whit for the man he's been hired to protect and will only stand behind him until the money and glory run out, which they will if Flair doesn't cripple Sting and get the title back.

I also enjoyed Corny constantly giving worried glances to Sid while Arn was talking. My line of the yearbook so far was when Corny told Arn that he'd be scared to stand across the ring from Sid if he were in the Dudes' shoes, to which Arn fired back, "You should be."

This Horseman unit is really starting to grow on me. They don't live up to the originals, but they've carved out their own niche quite well, and have proven to me that while Tully or at least a Tully type is always a welcome addition, the Horsemen don't need to follow one specific template to be successful. Too bad that this is the last solid run for the group as a dominant force, at least according to most educated observers.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The Slugger is still being taped backstage and not in front of a live crowd. Jim Cornette says that he invited the Four Horsemen to join him, but Ric Flair and Ole Anderson are in a meeting as they speak with the Board of Directors over what happened at the Great American Bash, however he does have Arn Anderson and Sid Vicious (who is finally out of that tuxedo!) with him. Cornette says that there is no way that you can take a couple of freaks instances like what happened recently and count the Horsemen out. Arn says that when you have a problem, the only way to correct that problem is top identify and locate each and every source that is causing that problem. What they deal with as the Horsemen is not the ailment, but the solution that’s causing it. After each and every Bash bar none, they’ve had the greatest party the city of Baltimore has ever experienced, but not on this night, no such luck. They were up all night, but it was plotting and construing the destruction of each and every individual who contributed to this given day. The Great American Bash was one day out of their lives that has redirected their whole lives. The Horsemen of the 90s are not the Horsemen of the 80s; this team was handpicked, not through blood, not through sweat, but by necessity. The bigger they come the better they like it, they specialize in big men and you know who you are! Sid is growling in the background and it disturbs Cornette to be around him when he’s so upset. A lot of people have given him plenty of guff, from a distance, about what happened at the last Clash of the Champions, but that was a rip off and no human being could beat a man of Sid Vicious’ stature as Lex Luger did.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-07-13-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Arn Anderson & Sid Vicious