Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-07-AJPW-Summer Action Series II] The Fantastics vs Kenta Kobashi & Johnny Ace

Loss

• 2 months later...

This was a tough crowd, but this was a spectacular match. You expect Rogers and Kobashi to bring their A-game, but Fulton and Ace did too, having some nice temper-flaring exchanges and adding a lot to the match. The Kikuchi/Malenko tag had the much hotter crowd, but this was a much better wrestling match. People would have raved about this if it happened in the U.S. during the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good match, better structured if less spectacular than the Malenko/Kikuchi bout. Rogers and Kobashi provide the High-End Offense and some pretty complicated double-team sequences with their partners, while Ace and Fulton bring the heat and the brawling. Kobashi gets yet another pinfall to continue his mini-push.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fulton hasn’t had too much success with the suplex on the floor. Kobashi and Ace have some good tag moves. Fulton tries a leg lock and Ace breaks it by smacking his face repeatedly. That works. Fantastics have the timing down on the double dropkick. Kobashi with the moonsault for the win. He’s getting going.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was a weird match. Zenjo's right about the crowd being dead, especially in comparison to the Misawa/Kawada-Jumbo/Taue bout from 9/30 that I watched before this. As for the match itself, the Tastics were the much more fluid team, but Kobashi got the pinfall to continue his own push, which is kind of strange. Neither he nor Ace looked as good as either Rogers or Fulton did, in my opinion.

The Tastics are on fire in Japan this year, and they'd have been an excellent signing for WCW if they'd needed face challengers for Doom. I haven't seen much of the Horsemen/Doom stuff yet, so I can't say whether the Tastics would have been better challengers for Simmons and Reed, but a Tastics/Doom series would have freed up Flair and Arn to still be part of an all-out Horseman push to take the World title from Sting, which surely would have been better than the Black Scorpion mess.

I think Ace looked more natural as a Dynamic Dude, though I do like the fact that he and Kenta use the Doomsday Device, probably as a tribute to Ace's big brother Animal.

• 1 year later...

I like these Fantastics matches because they provide something that I'm not really used to seeing in All Japan. Outside of the tag league, it's mostly big heavyweight tags and singles matches that I'm familiar with, and this feels more like "normal" tag match. Sure Kobashi is in it but it doesn't feel like a huge dramatic event. This was better than the previous match, and the match ups and roles being played were really cool. Kobashi and Rogers as the guys kind of carrying the match, with Ace and Fulton supplementing with the brawling and a different pace. Also, Johnny Ace had a cool drop kick/double team thing early on.

• 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-09-07-AJPW-Summer Action Series II] The Fantastics vs Kenta Kobashi & Johnny Ace