Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-08-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Ted DiBiase, Virgil & Dustin Rhodes

Loss

• 3 months later...

Honky Tonk Man has been added to the broadcast booth. Dustin Rhodes is the guest this week. Before he can say a word, Ted DiBiase and Virgil are out as additional guests, much to Dustin's surprise. DiBiase insults Virgil for the first time, so they are doing the slow build to their breakup now. He wants to put aside their differences and make Dustin an offer. He wants to buy him because he thinks he has potential. Dustin slaps the money out of his hand and gets doubleteamed. Texas Tornado finally makes the save, almost decking Brother Love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why would any babyface ever agree to go on the Brother Love Show? Love is still pushing that DiBiase is his benefactor, which is a nice touch of continuity (DiBiase was one of the first guests of the show and revealed he was paying for its airtime). Now that DiBiase has failed to put Dustin away in 10 minutes, he's here to make Dustin an offer. DiBiase's excuses ("I wasn't really trying as hard as I could") are pretty funny. DiBiase tosses insults to all of Texas as well as Virgil. Dustin slaps the money away and gets double-teamed for his trouble. Kerry Von Erich makes the save--he's a Texan too, and damn proud of it.

Strong segment. This felt very Memphisy with buyout offers and multiple storylines being juggled at once--DiBiase is literally pushing three different feuds here, just as he was pushing two separate feuds at the start of the year. It's quite non-WWF-style booking and could be an indication of how trusted DiBiase was to handle all of this.

Brother Love’s real guest is Ted DiBiase. Million Dollar Man wants to make an offer to Dustin. There’s nobody lesser than a Texan except maybe Virgil. Ohh. Disgruntled look from Virgil. Texas Tornado comes to Dustin’s aid. I couldn’t figure this one out but Kerry reminds us he’s Texan too. Yes, I was just caught off that Von Erich and DiBiase had interaction in WWF.

• 2 years later...

Teddy was at his most obnoxious here, not only flaunting his wealth but insulting everyone in sight except for Brother Love and giving all sorts of excuses why Dustin was able to last ten minutes with him. I loved the start of the slow burn toward the Virgil turn and Brother Love cheering on the beatdown from the sidelines until Kerry came in to clean house.

It's interesting that 1) Dustin doesn't say a word here and 2) that Dusty's supposedly "watching on TV" back home in Austin. Actually, not only was Dusty at the taping, but he teamed with Dustin to beat Teddy and Virgil in a dark match. I guess Vince was trying to keep Dusty off of TV as much as he could after finding out that he was going back to WCW. Fortunately, it worked out well for everyone, since Teddy could then cost Kerry the IC title the following week on TV, as we'll see later in the set. As for Dustin, I guess they didn't want to do a whole lot with him either, since he was leaving with his dad. Why build him up for no reason?

Honky added just as little to the proceedings as I remembered. I don't exactly have fond memories of Savage as a commentator either; he was either told by Vince to broadcast completely in character or decided to do it on his own, and whichever it was, hearing that "Lord, I need some Ex-Lax" voice for an hour at a time drove me up the wall. But he was miles better than this. Was there some law against Heenan doing both Superstars and Challenge, at least temporarily?

Yes, I noticed that Teddy has three feuds either going or brewing now. But it makes sense that an obnoxious millionaire would have more than one person angry with him at a given point in time, even in a world as sterile as the WWF. You'd know all about that, wouldn't you, Vince?

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-12-08-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Ted DiBiase, Virgil & Dustin Rhodes