Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-03-WCW-Main Event] Danger Zone: Sting and Larry Zbyszko

Loss

• 1 month later...

Zbyszko claims that he has been chasing Ric Flair for a title shot his entire career and has never gotten one. He blames Sting for getting all the title shots and calls him out. Larry slaps him and they get in a heated brawl. Eventually, wrestlers fill the ring and separate them. Larry is great here, and this brawl looks really good!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the feud with Sting but this struck me as the first big example of what I expect to be many of 1991 WCW booking blunders. I have no idea why Larry is calling out Flair when he was so quick to come to his rescue and be in the Wargames match just a couple of weeks before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Larry's promo is great, and hits all the required points: "Fifteen glorious years", "trip to Larryland", and so on. Hearing him call out Flair was a little weird to me too after seeing them together in WarGames, but Larry's not one to worry too much about friends, so it's more likely that he took a good offer from the Horsemen than anything else. At any rate, Sting's the one who answers the challenge, and for a mini-angle to set up a match on TBS's C-show, this was pretty heated, with the locker rooms clearing and everything.

One thing I noticed: At one point when Larry's talking down Sting, he asks, "Do you have the guts to get into the ring with the heavyweight reputation of the world?" I think he was going to say "heavyweight champion of the world", referring to the AWA World title, and caught himself at the last moment. Remember, he'd originally been scheduled to bring the AWA belt to WCW, but that angle was cancelled by Jim Herd, which is too bad. Even if it really didn't mean anything anymore, the AWA belt would have been a decent centerpiece in this situation.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-03-WCW-Main Event] Danger Zone: Sting and Larry Zbyszko