Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Danger Zone: Theodore R. Long

Loss

• 1 month later...

Missy Hyatt interrupts Paul E. before he can get out a question, and Missy plays Tough Journalist. Long says Simmons cost him a lot of money by losing the tag titles. He says when he whipped him with the belt, he was whipping him for the brothers! They cut to an interview the previous week that Missy did with Ron Simmons in order to mock her. Teddy gets a GREAT line ("Once again, you're dippin' in the mustard trying to catch up!") until Ron Simmons scares him off.

I wouldn't call it a great segment, but it was entertaining. Kinda funny the original pairing of Doom with a big breasted woman was to get heat in the south. Now Simmons as a face their attempt to get him over is to be in the orbit of another big breasted women. I guess it's all in the presentation.

• 1 month later...

Paul E. gives an insanely hyperbolic intro to the Godfather, who claims he was whopping Ron Simmons with a belt "for all the brothers he let down." Wow! They're setting up a Simmons/Missy alliance that I don't think went anywhere, based on Missy being from Tallahassee. Okay-ish segment--I wanted to hear more from Teddy.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul E has Teddy Long as a guest. Missy interrupts to ask the tough questions such as the breakup of Doom. Heyman gives Missy all types of angry faces. Teddy refers to Missy as Little Orphan Annie. Don't get that one. Hyatt has her arm on Simmons shoulder. So much for broadcaster journalist credibility.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked Paul calling Peanuthead one-half of Doom. In fact, I'd have liked to see a tag match where Reed brought Teddy out as a partner and they did the Hogan/Okerlund pinfall (as in, Reed wrestles the match, then puts Teddy on top for the pin) just for kicks.

Simmons and Missy? Sorry, I don't think Florida State football is enough of a common bond to put these two together. It's nice to finally know exactly where Missy hails from, though.

When Simmons was doing his bit at the end, he clearly referred to a match with Reed sometime that weekend. My question is, who was he referring to as a chicken, Teddy or Paul? It almost sounds like he was supposed to go after Teddy verbally, but Teddy left the segment before he was supposed to. Either that or Simmons was looking in completely the wrong place, because he looked at Paul the whole time he was talking.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Danger Zone: Theodore R. Long