Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-11-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Randy Savage & Sensational Sherri in the studio

Loss

• 1 month later...

Savage is hilarious! He has a series of gifts for Warrior - a cowbell because he's about to be put out to pasture, a brand new towel because he's all washed up and a telephone so he can call it quits. Vince asks what Sherri will do if Savage loses and she completely freaks out. Fun stuff. This crowd is no more or less annoying than fans at the Worldwide Arena.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Only Savage and Sherri could deliver such obviously bad jokes with such gusto. The Brain wasn't the only one laughing, I can assure you.

I liked Heenan wolf-whistling at Sherri; it says a lot about his character that he'd do something so low-class in front of royalty. Savage didn't seem to mind, though.

Sherri freaking out at the idea of Savage losing was indeed prophetic. I've touched on this before, but in a way it's a shame that the Savage/Sherri act had to be broken up. Liz may have been many good things, but a performer wasn't one of them. She was all right in her role as the timid, untouchable princess during Randy's heel glory days in the mid-eighties, and she wasn't bad as the "inspiration" for him while he was champion, but she wasn't good enough to be of much help to him against Jake and Flair this time around. Yes, both feuds centered around her being in danger of one sort or another, but she needed to be able to get as angry as he did over what happened to her, albeit in a quieter fashion, and I don't really remember that happening. Maybe these next two Yearbooks will prove me wrong, but strictly from a performance standpoint, it might have been better for him to stay with Sherri even as a face, as incongruous as a face Sherri might seem. Randy wasn't the only one missing something either; Sherri was never quite the same with either Teddy or Shawn Michaels, although she had some good moments with both of them.

The highlight of the segment was Vince's look of outrage when Sherri said that there was "no way in HELL" (emphasis mine) that Savage was losing to Warrior at Mania. Corny as he could be sometimes, I miss the Vince that could get outraged over someone saying words like "hell" on television. Better him than the later "kiss my ass" version.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-11-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Randy Savage & Sensational Sherri in the studio