Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-11-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eric Embry

Loss

• 2 months later...

Embry is out to respond to Keirn, and they seem to be setting up yet another program for him. That's the one downside to Embry's booking - he ends up in multiple feuds at the same time, even when there are other people who are capable of filling spots hanging around. He does a final hard sell for Monday night's barbed wire match.

I love these promos but yeah, two programs for both Keirn and Embry sort of mitigates all of them. "When you have two starting quarterbacks, you actually have none" would be the analagous statement. Embry rants about how the Texas Boys could take the entire population of Memphis inside a cage until Dave finally cuts him off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is full-on manic Embry, and it's a sight to behold. He truly seems to believe that he can win two nonsanctioned matches in the same night, plus whip the entire population of Memphis while he's at it. He goes on and on about how he's badder than Superman and such, and when he's reaching out of camera range to demonstrate what he's going to do with the barbed wire glove I could swear he's demonstrating on Dave, who finally has enough and cuts him off. Dave's not in too good of a mood anyway, since Embry's ramblings have deprived us of the second fall in this week's expiration of time match.

I agree that two matches like these are too much for one guy at one time, but don't blame the employee; blame the man who hired him. Papa Jarrett could have stopped all this at any time and either taken the book himself or given it to someone else he trusted. I guess he didn't want to lose Embry as his top heel in Dallas, but that's not Memphis's problem. All Memphis usually needs is Lawler and his opponent of the moment, so Embry could have gone away without much difference in the product, since there's no Lawler at the moment. Bill/Jamie could have carried the houses until Lawler's return, or Prichard could have become the new head of the Texas faction. Instead, we get this. I'm curious to see how they work it, as I said in a previous thread.

By the way, this segment was actually done on 5/4.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-11-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eric Embry