Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-08-10-GWF] The Patriot vs Chris Walker / The Patriot vs Buddy Landell

Loss

• 3 months later...

Last few minutes of Patriot/Walker. Patriot is injured so Landell costs Walker the match so he can have Patriot in the final. Landell is such a smug, aggressive asshole here, and I love it. Patriot wins the TV title in what seems like a big moment, as Landell was a threatening heel and did a great job of getting this tournament final over as a big deal. Patriot does a pretty good babyface interview to close things out. Should he have been a bigger star?

• 1 month later...

Patriot whiffs on the Patriot Missile and hurts his shoulder, so Buddy Landell takes the opportunity to cost Chris Walker the match against him so he can feast on the injured Patriot in the TV Title tournament final. Landell takes apart Patriot's shoulder and is such a jackass here, strutting around the ring and nonchalantly crossing his legs on the pin attempts. Good work in the figure four and then Landell uses the ropes one too many times and Patriot gets in a rollup for the pin. Good match with incredible heat, the loudest the Sportatorium has been since Kerry Von Erich was there. Patriot comes off as cheesy when working the crowd but the guy is over. Patriot's promo is pretty good, coming off as a tough no-excuses guy rather than an asskissing gladhander.

Patriot certainly had a good look but came at a time when masked wrestlers were passe in the U.S. and when patriot gimmicks in general were doing the same, even in the wake of a war. He was a great athlete and looks to be an underrated promo to boot, but the looseness of his offense always has stood out to me, particularly in All-Japan but in the U.S. as well. Obviously that's low on the list of what makes a big star in the States but it's one of a few things that was working against him.

• 2 weeks later...

Landell knocks Walker off the ropes and Patriot wins match. No rest period and Landell goes right after Patriot. Most of match of Landell dominating until Patriot hulks up and then wins with a school boy. Patriot had to wrestle five matches in tournament to win title. Would have liked to seen the brackets.

• 5 months later...

Patriot guts out a win but injures himself in the process. Landell immediately pounces and he looks way better here than he does at any of the 1990 stuff I have watched recently. He has slimmed down considerably and his attack on the injured shoulder is much more focused. He even keeps the moonwalk in his arsenal which I have a weird fondness for. Patriot is able to get the victory in the end and is your new Global TV Champion.

• 1 year later...

Landell's aggression and attitude make this match; he's not only super cocky as always, but he puts it all together athletically as well, managing to injure both Patriot's shoulder and his leg and looking altogether dominant until he argues one too many times over a rope break with the referee and gets rolled up for the flash pin.

I heard something about how Global had an odd number of wrestlers in the TV title tournament, so they had to come up with a way to stage a three-person final. I guess they could have done a triangle match if they'd thought of it, but this was the next best thing.

Patriot comes off as a tough guy in both the match and the victory promo, but this was really the Budro Show; it's a pity that we'd see so few performances like this from him.

Nice to hear Craig again, and I liked his Irish whip call: "From the West Coast to the East Coast!"

Was that Pedicino or Hudson calling the match with Craig? They sound a good deal alike, which I'd never noticed before. Either way, both announcers did a great job selling the effects of the rest period's absence, and also put Landell over as a master schemer for both setting up the situation (through costing Walker the first match) and taking advantage of it. I'm bot sure any other announce team in North America would have sold it better, and that includes WCW's best team (JR and Tony).

• 2 weeks later...

I heard something about how Global had an odd number of wrestlers in the TV title tournament, so they had to come up with a way to stage a three-person final. I guess they could have done a triangle match if they'd thought of it, but this was the next best thing.

All four of the initial GWF tournaments (TV, Light Heavyweight, Tag Team, and North American) were 24 man or team tournaments. They were billed as "European style" likely to play up that the GWF was billed as having offices all over the world with headquarters in Barcelona, Spain. All the tourneys had a coin flip to determine the semifinal and who got a bye to the final.

• 2 years later...

Patriot does get to look good here and Landell looks phenomenal. The cockiness really was necessary to build sympathy for Patriot, because he's not going to generate it on his own. Patriot's post-match promo is actually pretty good. I could see him as a no-nonsense midcard babyface in WCW or WWF at the time.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-08-10-GWF] The Patriot vs Chris Walker / The Patriot vs Buddy Landell