Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-06-CMLL] Konnan vs Perro Aguayo vs Cien Caras (Hair vs Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 3 months later...

Three way with elimination rules. Konnan's long stringy hair, clumsy bumping and lame offense is hilarious to me. I didn't get too into this match, but I felt the need to include it, as it is the three biggest lucha libre stars of the era. Plus, Cien Caras is always good, even when the match isn't, and I loved him here. I just wish he'd been there all the way to the end.

• 1 month later...

Three big lucha stars in what has to be one of the earliest triple threat matches on tape. We get a long, long, LONG controversy before the match apparently involving Konnan's objections to El Gran Davies being the referee. Konnan is dispatched in short order when Aguayo absolutely kills him with the top-rope double stomp, a move that looked particularly sick here. He makes a nuisance of himself later on for a bit, but we get Caras and Aguayo in a quick sprint of a brawl before Caras gets the pinfall. And...we get some replays and the match continues. With Konnan and Aguayo going at it. What the fuck? Are they fighting for 2nd place or something? Aguayo is climbing to the top to finish Konnan off when Caras crotches him on the turnbuckle and Konnan steals a victory, which is treated like he just knocked out Mike Tyson. I have no clue what the rules of this were supposed to be. Not really a good match but the action, if not the rules, was perfectly inoffensive. It would be wrong to leave Konnan out of these Yearbooks regardless of match quality.

EDIT: With Aguayo's head-shaving things are starting to come more into focus. I guess. So Konnan gets a reward for being the first eliminated, getting to rest while Aguayo and Caras kicked the shit out of each other, then requires Caras' help to beat Aguayo. What a fucking hero. I'll keep this match in mind next time it comes off as Hogan having a given promotion in his back pocket.

It was whoever got pinned twice lost his hair. I KIND OF get why Konnan sat out the 2nd fall (so that the match would go more than 2 falls and I guess since logically the other two guys would just gang up on him to save themselves) it still is kind of unfair that he got the rest period. The way the rules were set up, the person that lost the first fall was in a better spot than the guy who lost the 2nd fall cos that guy would have to work the entire match.

I did not get the rules much as I watched. From reading above the whole taking the first fall and then sit on the second fall reminds me of major soccer tournaments where guys with a certain amount of yellow cards will intentionally get another to sit out a meaningless game if they already qualified for next round. I had thought Konnan was eliminated for good so him coming back was disappointing. He really needed to lose and get that hair cut.

• 9 months later...

I understand the significance and why this was on the set but it bored me to tears. I was disappointed because I am a Perro and Cien guy so I hoped to see some spark but even their sequences seemed disjointed and weirdly paced. Perro's haircut was only redeeming quality for me.

• 1 year later...

I understood the rules clearly enough after I read this thread, but what was Caras still doing at ringside after he'd won his way out of the match? Maybe they explained it on commentary, but my Spanish isn't good enough to follow speakers who talk as fast as these announcers. Obviously, he was instrumental in sparing Konnan's hair, but why did he do what he did? The world may never know for sure.

I expected more of a triple threat-style match with all three in the ring, but this was worked more like a three-man round robin, with the odd man out getting the haircut. It sould have been interesting to see what they would have done in case of a three-way tie.

The action here wasn't bad, but the individual bouts didn't last long enough for me to get a feel for them. Kudos to Perro for blading, which added at least a little drama to the proceedings.

Add the referee stuff at the beginning to the list of things I didn't understand at all. It's obvious that there was some sort of history between Konnan and the original ref, though. Does anyone know what it might be?

I think I would have preferred this to have all three men in the ring at the same time so they could all shift alliances as needed. As it was, the same purpose could have been served with three distinct, full-length singles matches.

By the way, is it a sign of honor in Mexico for the loser of a hair match to shave his own head? I've always assumed it was, since I've seen babyfaces who have lost this type of match do it, but I don't know for sure.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-09-06-CMLL] Konnan vs Perro Aguayo vs Cien Caras (Hair vs Hair vs Hair)