Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-15-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Randy Savage

Loss

• 3 months later...

Savage does an incredible sit-down interview from home with Gene Okerlund. It's the most human I've ever seen him. Elizabeth is understandably having some trouble getting over what happened at the wedding reception. He wants to be reinstated so he can do something about this. He thanks Sid Justice for standing between the cobra and Elizabeth. Since his career is over, all that he can hope for is for Sid to make him pay for what he has done. This was GREAT.

• 1 month later...

Savage is making every attempt at a run for Interview of the Year. He, Jake, and Embry are going to have a knockout, drag-out for that award. The gleam is gone from Elizabeth's eyes as a result of the reception angle. Savage is turned down for reinstatement and responds by trashing Jack Tunney's office. Savage is torn apart and appears to be about a second away from breaking down and crying. The interview just sort of trails off, as Savage simply has nothing else to say. Holy living fuck--this is the year's single best interview to this point. And being quite familiar with Jake's stuff to come, I still think it will stay that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Savage wearing a Superstar Graham shirt. This is incredible were a low key but emotional Savage is still trying to deal with what happened with the wedding after reception and what was suppose to be the greatest moment of Liz and his lives. He's so frustrated that he can't do anything about it. Maybe Sid can take care of Roberts but you can tell it's reinstatement that Savage wants to take care of things himself.

• 9 months later...

Holy shit what an amazing interview, possibly my favorite Savage one in history. Savage balling up his intensity and projecting onto Roberts and also using Sid as a vehicle to gain some revenge is great. One of my favorite things from the year and really underrated from a historical standpoint.

• 1 year later...

I should start by saying that I haven't gotten to the wedding yet, but after reading some good things about this interview I had to check it out.

I agree that this is the best Savage interview I've ever seen, and kudos to all involved for choosing to handle it in this way when there had to have been some thought to having Savage come off as a bigger loonball than ever. It's the closest we'll ever get to hearing Randy Poffo in the WWF, and that's what makes it so powerful. Liz's unseen cameo is the icing on the cake. Mean Gene was more effective than he's been in quite some time as well, briefly setting the scene then getting out of the way and letting Savage take center stage.

So the seeds are planted for Randy's eventual reinstatement, and quite cleverly too. It's a good thing they had so few pay-per-views back then, because today (if what I've read on the boards is right) he would have been reinstated by the top of the next Raw, then he and Jake would have traded televised wins for a month before their pay-per-view bout, which would have rendered the entire feud old before its time and killed it. As it is, we have two months of twists, turns, and build to bring everything to a fever pitch. I can't wait to hear what Jake has to say for himself!

• 1 year later...

This interview is incredible. I agree, this has to be one of the most underrated interviews from a historical standpoint. I recently watched the Savage collection on the Network, and this interview isn't mentioned. I can't remember if it made any of his DVD's or not. Either way, it's great. It's cool, because to this point, he's pretty much the MVP of WWF programming and he hasn't even wrestled since WrestleMania.

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to think of a better Savage interview I've ever seen. I'm also trying to think of ten better promos I've ever seen. Can't do either. Brilliant, brilliant stuff here. Here's how much I like this. You know that Arn/Barry junkyard promo that basically blows you away every time you see it? It just got relegated to number two on the year.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-09-15-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Randy Savage