Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-28-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Cactus Jack & Abdullah the Butcher

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cactus hypes a tag cage match against Sting & Rick Steiner while Abdullah eats paper, Ross' microphone, and Cactus' hair. "Can't you control him, please?" "HELL NO, I can't control him, and why would I want to? Can't you see that violence can be beautiful?!" Cactus follows with the line about the lump in Sting's throat not being emotion, but his liver.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Cactus Jack is WCW's answer to Jake Roberts, but I prefer the Snake in a sick-off. Still, this is scary stuff in its own right, especially for a promotion that promotes itself as pure sport.

Mick's really rolling as a promo, and he and Abby make quite the disturbing pair. JR does a masterful job of looking scared and overwhelmed at the same time, ending the segment with a vow never to interview Cactus again after being threatened by him. It'll be interesting to see if he kept that vow for the rest of Mick's WCW run. I notice that they still haven't come up with a benefactor for Cactus and Abby, but it doesn't matter by now; no one they could have used would have been better than what we've seen so far.

Please tell me that they at least referred to the Omni cage match at some point after hyping it so effectively. My guess is that they didn't, which renders this whole segment, as good as it was, completely useless.

I loved Paul's line about having Tony as his new co-host if the interview goes badly He can still bring it in the right situations, which are fewer and farther between than ever before at this point.

• 2 years later...

Ross really does a great job in this interview of trying to be as far away as possible from these two psychos and looking both scared and disgusted. Abby gnawing on everything he could get his hands on was pretty incredible. Mick's promo tops both, he really kills it and comes off as completely insane but still intelligent.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-09-28-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Cactus Jack & Abdullah the Butcher