Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-05-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry

Loss

• 3 months later...

Lawler finally wants to settle this thing with Embry. Yeah, I've been waiting on that for months. Embry wins a short match after a ref bump and a guitar shot from BILLY JOE TRAVIS. I approve, but I would like to see Lawler vs Embry decisively blown off with Embry getting his comeuppance in a big way at some point. Is that a herpes sore on Embry's mouth?

• 2 weeks later...

We here in the Evansville area didnt get to see this. Wrestling was pre-empted that weekend for the Clarence Thomas-Anita Hill coverage.

Just about anything wrestling from 1984 - 1997, I can remember easy. Anything after that is just murky as shit.

• 4 weeks later...

Good, quick little TV match that sees Embry steal an upset victory thanks to a timely guitar shot from Billy Joe Travis. Lawler sure comes across as a moron for getting into an impromptu match with Embry right before a big title unification bout. Since I don't expect this Gilbert return to last terribly long I hope this sets up a major title match for next Monday. One fan in particular makes a huge amount of noise throughout this and during Embry's promo as well, and even gets some face time on camera. He is so loud and within easy camera range that I'm expecting an angle, but nothing yet.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, Soup, but it doesn't look like we're getting one, since if I'm not mistaken Lawler moves on to Travis exclusively after this.

What a waste. The biggest match of the year in the territory with months of buildup attached, and it gets three minutes with a foreign object shot which leads to an Embry pin, which then leads to.......nothing. Whose brilliant idea was this, anyway? Was Embry so opposed to laying down for Lawler that this was some sort of salve to his ego? If that's the case, he should have been fired. To take any territory's biggest match of the year and hold it hostage until it's reduced to being on the same level as a jobber squash (not that the match itself was one, but it took the same amount of time as one) is absolutely inexcusable.

I guess Papa thought that didn't have any other credible main event heels, so keeping Embry happy was his main priority. No wonder Lawler was done with him. The amazing thing is, Embry not only kept his spot, but he and Prichard got to feud with Jeff and Fuller, which is just a slight step down from Lawler; only Dundee was higher on the totem pole. Who says acting like a spoiled brat doesn't pay?

All I can say is that Lawler/Travis better be a real barnburner of a feud, considering what we potentially missed out on in its place.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-10-05-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry