Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-12-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Ric Flair

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I do like that Bobby was conducting this interview rather than Okerlund or Bearer, but...yes. Heenan had simply been a buffoon for too long, and when he's confronted with Monsoon or a babyface it becomes all about the babyface vs. Heenan rather than about Flair. This is still the closest to the Classic Flair of Old, talking up limos, women, and unifying the championships.

Piper has to restrain himself on commentary. Strong promo by Flair. He’s read to unify the titles. I don’t mind Bobby here and he’s a good Flair fan boy on commentary. Stuff I didn’t like was him and the World Heavyweight title be the butt of jokes on the lead up to Flair showing up.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Heenan was an odd choice to do this interview considering that he was managing/advising Flair at the time, but the interview itself was classic. We've heard just about all of Flair's classic lines by now, but they sound fresh in the new surroundings.

Talk about being slow on the uptake: I just recently realized that the whole "be a pro" routine from Vince toward Piper and Savage was mostly a cover for the fact that they were doing commentary in post-production instead of live at the arenas (except, of course, for the time that Vince got laid out). Not that constant brawls in the booth would have been a good thing, but at least we could have seen reaction shots of Piper and Savage when Flair and Jake respectively were talking.

It's unbelievable that Rod and Randy were talking over the start of Flair's promo until Vince (somewhat reluctantly) cut them off. These three do that all the time, and it's really annoying, especially since you can't tell what anybody's saying. Are they just being ignorant, or are they getting so wrapped up in what they're saying that they misjudge when the person being interviewed starts to talk? If it's the former, shame on them; if it's the latter, whoever's helping them out in the studio needs to cue them better as to when a promo starts.

• 2 years later...

At the very least nobody takes a massive shit all over the World Title while Flair is talking. Not that it has much cred left, but it's something. And it's definitely a great Flair promo. I'm dreading seeing where any of this goes though, it's just been such a massive amount of killing Flair before he even has a chance to defend himself that I don't think he can possibly overcome it.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-12-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Ric Flair