Pro Wrestling Only

Puerto Rico Wrestling

Dylan Waco

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been trying to place dates on the big 1984 feud between Colon and Abdullah versus Hansen and Brody. If anyone comes across anything give me a shout out.

From what I gather the match that is avaliable on youtube is a lumberjack match. But is listed as the anniversary match. However, I've also read that the anniversary card (September 15, 1984) was just a straight tag team match....OR the anniversary card was the second match, which was a lumberjack match.

One of the comments on the youtube match mentions that he was there for the first match, and that the first time Colon tagged in Abby the crowd was deafening. Now the match on youtube is the Lumberjack match which leads to the final match which was a cage match. This is the one that sets the attendance record for Puerto Rico with 30,000+ fans.

The first tag match was said to have set a record at Hiram Bithorn only to be broken by the cage match.

A few other matches that stand out is a 1985 where Colon and Abby team up to face Dory Funk Jr and Ric Flair. This is interesting as if it really is 85' it seems odd as the finish for the big cage match was Abby walking out Colon. That would seem odd to have the two team up so quickly after a major angle.

Also there is apparently a Colon/Abby tag match against Brody/King Tonga that was to have drawn a huge crowd too.

84' and 85' seem to be huge years for Puerto Rico and they used a lot of top name Americans.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know more about Tatsumi Fujinami's time in Puerto Rico? I assume this was in the late 80's when Fujinami was traveling and making appearances with numerous territories. But I wonder if it lead to other matches with him on the island.

I unfortunately don't have information on this. The one thing I find interesting is that, since Fujinami's opponent is Dr. Death, this likely took place in late 88 or early 89.

• 1 month later...

More like YouTube. Maybe something with a lot of context available.

Have you gone through some of the feud write-ups in this thread? I have done some for Hansen vs. Colon, Invader 3 vs. Chicky Starr and the Texas Hangmen's late 90-91 feud.

Here and there. I did watch Chicky Starr and Hansen vs. Colon on Starr's talk show after listening to you talk about it.

I'll do my homework here and go looking for it on Youtube.

goc's upload of the Hansen/Colon feud is a great start.

Honestly I don't know, do you mean as a viewer on youtube or as a historian? If you are looking to dig into the promotion on a historical persepective I'd start with researching the old newspapers. There's information out there it just has not been researched.

Matt - are there any online newspaper resources? I'm curious.

When El Mundo closed for good around 90-91, the University of Puerto Rico acquired the newspaper archives. They currently own and are the custodians of that historical archive. Last I heard, they were in the process of digitizing the El Mundo archives for their library system. There is some of that work available in the digital library portal of the University of Puerto Rico, but it is not a lot and the focus is more on the photographs and articles. The most likely place to check would be the Rio Piedras campus library, they may have microfiches of the newspaper there. One thing though, a lot of Latin American countries have had a newspaper called El Mundo, it'd be best to make sure to verify which country's El Mundo an archive may refer to. I have a suspicion that the one in Florida might be the Cuban El Mundo.

Yes it was Puerto Rico El Mundo. I'vee seen many clippings for upcoming events in them.

Awesome, good to know. I'm pretty sure that the UPRRP library must have the El Mundo microfiche. Another newspaper that had card ads was El Vocero.

A guy who posted on wrestlingclassics message board under the handle "Bunkhouse" has done a little research through a Library in Florida that carried El Mundo. He got a bunch of nice clippings, including some from Trinidad and Barbados. Many of the Flair matches that we have results for from the Puerto Rican office came from Bobby (Bunkhouse)

goc's upload of the Hansen/Colon feud is a great start.

Honestly I don't know, do you mean as a viewer on youtube or as a historian? If you are looking to dig into the promotion on a historical persepective I'd start with researching the old newspapers. There's information out there it just has not been researched.

Matt - are there any online newspaper resources? I'm curious.

Yeah, I bumped up a discussion that El Boricua and I had a few pages back. There are some clippings out there for sure. I do know there is an online resource but it may be limited.

Thanks Matt - someday I may try to research Mexican luchador appearances on WWC.

Does anybody know why there was never a great Mexican-Puerto Rico luchador cross over? Of course, other than Mil Mascaras, the short lived Invasion Azteca in 1997 or the many appearances of the minis during the 90s.

Is it because Colon and Invader love to fight and defeat much larger foes?

I know Enrique Vera, Anibal, El Monarca, Perro Aguayo and others toured a few times in the early 80s so it may just be that we do not have the big TV shows from the era. Aguayo in particular would have been perfect for the blood and guts style brawls and size wouldn't have been much of a factor as Colon and Invader weren't that big. Never mind larger wrestlers that could work and brawl, like MS-1, Masakre, Sangre Chicana or Faraon. I know MS-1 and Chicana could cut a promo, too.

It's also odd considering how big the Boricuas were in CMLL mid 90s. It's not like WWC was on fire back then and guys like Silver King and Emilio Charles would have at least brought the product up during a time when it looks like they were recycling feuds from the past. Is the lack of cooperation a political thing? I know Quinones was gone and he was the CMLL liaison but they could have easily worked with independent wrestlers or with a different office. It's just odd because the styles of both countries would have been a very good match.

I think there was an informal working agreement with LLI in the early 80's since the Mexican wrestlers that would come over for short stints or semi regular appearances all worked for LLI. Others that came over for notable stints were Scorpio, Mr. Tempest (have no clue who he is, may have been someone known under identity) and Tamba. If one could find results it might give a clearer picture of who came over. It might have been a case that not all of them were interested in appearing in Puerto Rico (although without results it is tough to gauge if any of them actually made a weekend shot appearance at some point)

In the case of Aguayo, he was billed as the Junior heavyweight champion, so it's very likely his appearances would not be opposite Carlos Colon or invader 1. I know there's a picture of a card lineup from I think fall of 83 that features Aguayo vs. Gama Singh in the ad.

otras%20luchas.jpg

I know Johnny Rivera worked in Mexico during this time, and Carlos made appearances. Apparently there was a match in 1982 in Mexico that featured Carlos and El Canek vs. Abdullah the Butcher and Perro Aguayo:

SCAN0150.jpg

SCAN0154-Copy2.jpg

Ah yes, forgot Scorpio (he’s on the early TV tapes that we have got) and Tamba, who had the Monsoon match at one of the Aniversarios.

I can imagine why the WWC guys didn’t work Mexico much (thin roster working tons of shots for more money) but the other way around would have made sense. El Toreo rotated stars quite a bit on the big shows so 1-2 month tours could have worked, even during the booming early 80s Mexican lucha economy.

Side note, but I love watching the Cartelera videos from WWC on youtube. Gordman vs Colon, Aguayo vs Singh, that stuff looks great.

I love watching the cartelera videos too. And last week I came across a Aniversario 83 ad that someone had posted a few years ago:

5bZsu.jpg

A few interesting things about it (if it hasn't been altered or photoshopped):

The main event is billed as being for the Universal title (did not know it was already being called that at this point and the results posted online usually say the match was for the NWA World title).

The Andre vs. Abdullah match was for the Caribbean title.

The Invader vs Ox Baker match was a taped fist grudge match.

Dutch Mantel was the originally scheduled opponent for Hercules Ayala.

I like the thank you message they included with the card ad.

Boricua,

Could you do a write-up on Eric Embry's time and feuds / angles in Puerto Rico?

LOVED the podcast with Kris Z and Dylan by the way...AMAZING.....you stopped my AWA / AJPW watching dead in its tracks and turned me back to WWC watching!!!

Thanks! Embry is one of the guys I had thought of doing a write-up for and actually did some prep work for it when I was putting out the feud write-ups in this thread. If I can get some time in the coming weeks I'll see if i can do it.