Pro Wrestling Only

Puerto Rico Wrestling

Dylan Waco

As mentioned previously, Abdullah the Butcher had been the scourge of Carlos Colon's existence for over six years. But in 1984, two new wrestlers entered WWC and left a wake of destruction. These men were Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen. Each of them was a handful individually, but together they were nightmare for El Ejercito de la Justicia.

Brody and Hansen would injure a few of the wrestlers and that includes Carlos. Supposedly one of the Hansen vs. Colon matches ended when the ringside doctor jumped into the ring and covered Colon's body to stop the carnage.The doctor then proceeded to stitch Carlos up right there.

Faced with this unstoppable duo, Carlos did the unthinkable. He went to the one man who could stand toe to toe with Hansen and Brody in terms of violence and destruction. Carlos turned to Abdullah the Butcher, his blood enemy and rival. The angle that set up the team up is the intro in the following link.

Carlos Colon/Abdullah the Butcher vs. Bruiser Brody/Stan Hansen - Lumberjack Match Fall 84

The prevailing story for the initial team up was could Abdullah be trusted. Carlos had faced both men in singles and tag matches that year with no luck in driving them out of WWC and resorted to going to Abdullah for help. To say this was a surprising development to the local fans would be an understatement. The two teams faced each other three times: A regular tag match that ended in a double DQ (at Aniversario 84), a lumberjack match that did not work in containing the two teams in the ring (see the link just above this paragraph) and finally a cage match contested in a 15 foot high ‘supercage’.

Carlos won the supercage match for his team by escaping the cage, but this left Abdullah alone in the ring with Hansen and Brody and he took quite a beating from them. Carlos eventually was able to get back in and make the save, but Abdullah was not happy at all and attacked him. Sometime later, Carlos tried to smooth things over with Abdullah and it appeared to have worked.

We move forward a year to 1985. Carlos had spent a good deal of 1985 feuding with Dory Funk Jr. over the Universal title. Dory defeated Carlos for the title on Feb. 27 in a rare instance of the Universal title being defended (and lost!) outside of Puerto Rico. Carlos and Dory would battle in singles matches and tag matches and the title would be held up after a match on May 18. The feud was so heated that even Dory’s wife got involved.

Carlos Colón & Fabulous Moolah vs. Dory & Marti Funk

The mixed tag match was a couple of weeks before the reamtch for the held up Universal title. Carlos would eventually regain the Universal title from Dory on June 15 in a ‘supercage’ match. Still, that didn’t stop them from facing each other in other matches afterwards. One of these matches saw Carlos team up once again with Abdullah. Now, Abdullah was no stranger to Dory, they had faced off previously in PR.

Abdullah The Butcher vs. Dory Funk Jr.

So on July 9, a tag match pitting Carlos and Abdullah vs. Dory and Ric Flair took place. For now. only watch up to the 1:10 mark in the following video.

Ric Flair & Dory Funk Jr. vs. Carlos Colón & Abdullah The Butcher (highlights)

As Carlos tried to tag out, Abdullah kept refusing the tag. Eventually, Abdullah would storm off and leave Carlos by himself. The fall out of this betrayal led to Aniversario 85, where Carlos and Abdullah squared off for the Universal title.

Carlos Colón vs. Abdullah the Butcher - 9/21/85

Abdullah is accompanied by JJ Dillon. The announcers note that Commissioner Castillo is at ringside for this match. After some technical difficulties with the entrance music, Carlos Colon enters to We Are The World. Skipping to the end, the referee takes a fall to the outside and is knocked out. A second referee comes in as Carlos and Abdullah start fighting outside of the ring. The new referee counts both men out. As Carlos and Abdullah fight off in the crowd, Commissioner Castillo decides to declare the match a no contest and hold up the title because of the original referee being incapacitated during the match.

With the Universal title held up, a rematch was signed for Oct. 19. The card was dubbed ‘La Batalla de Gladiadores’ (The Battle of the Gladiators). Carlos regained the belt that night and would close out the year facing off against Hercules Hernandez and teaming up with other wrestlers to take on the Sheepherders (we’ll get to them soon).

Still, Abdullah would not go away. Carlos would end up facing Abdullah on the Three King’s Day card to open 1986. I think that the following match may be from that date.

Abdullah The Butcher vs. Carlos Colón -1/6/86 (?)

The date on the link is incorrect since this match is for the Universal title and (for reasons we'll get into shortly) that's not possible because the title was vacant in July. This is the usual brawling affair between these two. The match ends with some confusion, as Abdullah gets the pin but the decision is overturned by the original referee.

Even though Carlos retained the title that day, it would not be that long before they crossed paths yet again. In fact, it would be a month later. This time though, it wasn’t just Carlos and Abdullah who would be involved.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll get back to Carlos and Abdullah soon. For now, we'll look at the start of one of the key feuds in La Gran Guerra. Let’s go back again to 1985.

A wrestler by the name of Chicky Starr returned to WWC in the summer of 1985 after having been gone for around a year wrestling in the U.S for Southwest. He had previously been in WWC from 82-83 after wrestling on the independent circuit in PR and for Stampede in Canada. He had wrestled as part of a tag team know as Los Hermanos Peron (The Peron Brothers). He would adopt the name Chicky Starr and, along with his tag partner, moved to WWC. There he wrestled mainly singles. His partner, Angelo Rivera, would also make a go of it as a singles wrestler, but would find great success later when he assumed the masked identity of El Profe.

Here is a match involving Chicky from 1982 when he was initially in WWC (Note: I’m using WWC as the name but the promotion was actually Capitol Sports Promotions up until the early 90’s).

Chicky Starr vs. Terry Gibbs

And here is a match from his stint in Southwest.

Bob Sweetan and Chicky Starr vs The Snake and Randy Haskins

He would eventually return to WWC in the latter half of 1985. Here is a match featuring Chicky after his return in 1985.

Chicky Starr vs. Yucan Joe

The commentators (Hugo, Joaquin Padin and Hercules Ayala) talk about Chicky's quickness and how well he's coming along. Hercules notes that he has a lot of heart. Padin states that you've got to support Chicky. As the match progresses, the announcers note that Chicky has to use his quickness against Yucan Joe's power advantage. They also take the opportunity to send get well wishes to Miguelito Perez who was on the shelf due to an attack by the Sheepherders (we'll get to this eventually). The announcers keep rooting for Chicky. Eventually, Chicky goes to the top (Hugo: He's never been up there before.) and hits a body press for the win.

Shortly after Chicky returned, Invader 1 went to him and made him an offer. Invader 1 felt that Chicky had great potential and wanted to help the younger wrestler by offering his advice, training and mentorship. Chicky accepted the Invader’s offer and Invader 1 took him under his wing. However, as time went by, Chicky started getting angsty about the level of competition he was facing and wanted more challenging opponents. He started expressing that he felt as if someone were purposefully keeping the competition away from him.

Eventually, Chicky revealed that he had found out that Invader 1 was purposefully holding back the top competition away from him. Chicky claimed that it was due to fear and jealousy on the part of Invader 1 of how far he had come. Chicky demanded a match with Invader 1. Invader 1 was taken by surprise by Chicky's challenge and stated that Chicky was mistaken about his allegations. Why would he be blocking him from having competition when he wants him to succeed?

Still, Invader was never one to back down from a challenge and accepted Chicky's challenge to a match. The match took place on December 22, 1985. It was expected to be a teacher vs. student match. It didn't turn out that way. Instead, one of the greatest wrestling rivalries in Puerto Rico history would be born.

One detail I like about the Colon-Abdullah vs. Hansen-Brody matches is the logical progression of the match stipulations. Match one it gets out of control and both teams are counted out. Fine, just surround the ring with wrestlers to keep them in check. That fails, so they decide to put them in a cage. It's not just any cage though. They bust out a super cage, one that has really high walls (I've heard anywhere from 15 to 20 feet) to keep them in check.

I'm not sure who was booking at that time. According to an interview with Mike Davis, the booker in 85 was Luke Williams (when the Sheepherders had their run). When they left at the beginning of 86, Invader got the book. Still, that doesn't clear up who was the booker in 84.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these write ups. There's still two years to get to La Gran Guerra, but it's key to know the journey of Chicky Starr. After all, the rudos for that match are Chicky Starr's Sports Club.

• 2 weeks later...

It was the last TV taping of 1985. Chicky Starr had challenged his mentor Invader 1 to a match because Chicky felt Invader was blocking him from getting competition. Invader 1, never one to back down from a challenge, reluctantly accepted. It was supposed to be a technical match between a teacher and his student.

Highlights of Invader 1 vs. Chicky encounter 12/22/85 + interviews

For now, only watch until the 4:00 minute mark, if you watch ahead it will spoil some details that come much later.

The video starts near the end of the match. Invader and Chicky are trading hammerlocks to show who was the superior wrestler. After a few reversals, Invader charges towards the ropes and and drops down. The momentum of this move slings Chicky to the outside. We have a quick cut to Invader holding the ropes open for Chicky to get in. As Chicky gets in, he promptly foul kicks Invader. Chicky then goes outside, shoves Joaquin Padin off his announcer's chair and takes that chair into the ring. (Padin: Friends, what's going on here? I've been shoved down too and he's taken my chair.) Chicky smacks Invader right on the head with the chair, knocking Invader down and busting his head open. As the ref checks Invader, Chicky starts slapping his chest and jumping around in the ring. The ref disqualifies Chicky. Chicky leaves the ring happy with himself. Meanwhile, Invader 1 is lying in the ring completely busted open and bleeding as the ref comes to his assistance.

Invader would be carried to the locker room and require a lot of stitches for the cut on his forehead. As a result, a rematch was signed for the year opening Three Kings Day show on Jan. 6, 1986.

At the 1:19 mark, we jump to an interview with Invader 1 two weeks after the attack by Chicky.

Inv1 (in a subdued tone): You know, it has been two weeks since Chicky gave me that chair shot across the head, and I still have not been able to understand why you did that to me. So much sweat that I spilled with you at the gym, teaching you, and for you to pay me back in that manner now, I can't understand that. You are a very intelligent young man, I don't know why you have done this. I don't know what's happened to you, if you got a blow to the head, I don't really know. I have not been able to even sleep peacefully at night thinking about what you have done to me. Because,... I'm not able to understand that all of the sacrifice I did with you, the help that... I gave you, that you've paid me back like this. So Chicky Starr..., every time you look in the mirror you're going to see me, you'll see my face. Because that chair shot you gave me, what you have done to me, the way you repaid me, you don't do that to anyone. I cannot understand, and I repeat again, I cannot understand this that you have done to me. But Chicky Starr, let me tell you something, everything that is done is paid for. And I believe you have made a mistake. And again I'll repeat myself, maybe you will think it over and you will realize, and I hope that's how it will be, that you wil realize the mistake that you have made.

At 2:48 we go to Hugo inteviewing Chicky about the whole situation.

HS (at 2:48): The Judas, the traitor, Chicky Starr vs. Invader 1. We have conducted a small survey, Mr. Chicky Starr, and the public is disgusted with what you have done. The names that can be said on TV of what they have been calling you, among them are Judas, they also call you the traitor.

CS (at 3:02): Well, first of all, I'm interested very little, but very little, in what the public says. Because I make my living in wrestling, that's what they pay me for and I climb into the ring to destroy my opponent. That they call me Judas, a traitor, I don't know. They should call Invader 1 that, since he is the one who betrayed me. But that's not what is important, what is important is that tomorrow in Aguadilla, Invader prepare yourself. And you may be looking at this (points at golf club), but I'm not planning on hitting you over the head with it, because you don't even have any brains left. (Looks at Hugo) You who are a friend of his, you better watch him, because one of these days that man is going to bend over and stay there eating grass because he no longer has any brains. That man is an animal. In every good sense of the word, you are a beast. So Invader 1, get ready. And if you think you are going to defeat me in Aguadilla tomorrow, I'm sorry for you, because you are already old. And this young man right here, who has class and is in another category, is going to teach you what professional wrestling is about.

Heading into the Three Kings Day match, Invader had expressed hope that Chicky would realize the mistake he had made. That night, Chicky appeared with a new golden blonde hair color, signalling his new change of attitude. Invader 1 came out and grabbed a microphone. As they both stood at ringside, Invader gave a speech, trying to reason with Chicky and telling him to reconsider and put all that had happened behind them. That it was not too late to patch things up. Chicky grabbed the microphone: “Invader, I only have one thing to say to you”, and proceeded to blindside Invader with the microphone across the existing cut, busting Invader open again. As Invader was laid out at ringside, Chicky climbed into the ring.

Chicky Starr v. Invader I - 1/6/86

The match video starts after Chicky had smacked Invader with the microphone. Chicky's celebrating in the ring and then goes out to attack Invader. (Hugo: Chicky Starr is saying that he is number one). Chicky slams Invader into the announcer's table and furiously shouts in English to the fans. (Hugo: He's dyed his hair, now he's speaking in English). As Invader tries to gather himself, Hugo exclaims "Chicky Starr has stopped being a tecnico in order to become an animal. A powerful animal, a different animal." Chicky gets some more shots in on Invader as Hugo continues mentioning how Chicky's changed and the crowd doesn't recognize him now. (Hugo: He's dyed his hair blonde and is speaking English. He apparently doesn't want anything to do with latinos.) Chicky continues the punishment and slams Invader into the ringpost. The crowd starts chanting 'Hijo de puta' (Son of a bitch) at Chicky. Invader continues receiving blows from Chicky, but eventually makes it into the ring.

Chicky dominates the match for several minutes as Invader is still trying to recover from the earlier assault. Hugo on commentary puts over the savage beating Invader is taking and talks about how Chicky has surprised him. (Hugo: He was a gentleman, humble, honest, kind. A stylistic tecnico. He's turned into a human beast.) This match has been all Chicky and Invader's cut has been opened up more. Eventually, Invader is able to get one blow on Chicky coming off the ropes, but Chicky quickly rakes the eyes and tosses him over the top rope to the floor. The ring and ringside are covered by a noticeable amount of trash that had been thrown at Chicky throughout the match. As Chicky goes to attack Invader outside, Hugo says this has been a massacre by Chicky. As Chicky waits in the ring for the count, Invader starts psyching himself up as the crowd cheers him on. Invader gets back in the ring, withstands some of Chicky's blows and chops him down. Invader is still too dazed to follow up quickly, but he manages to start exchanging blows with Chicky. Invader finally gets the upper hand, but before Invader can really get going Chicky bails and gets counted out. Invader is too dazed to go after Chicky. As the ref tries to raise Invader's hand, Invader yanks it away. Hugo on commentary mentions that Invader does not want the win that way, that he has been hurt and humiliated by Chicky tonight. (Hugo: Chicky Starr has gotten away with it tonight.)

Invader would not give Chicky any more second chances or benefit of the doubt. One of the biggest wrestling feuds in Puerto Rico had only just begun.

After the Jan. 6 match, Chicky and Invader locked up again on Jan. 16. This time, Invader was ready and furiously went after Chicky. Chicky would get busted open and proceed to run off with Invader giving chase.

Another match between the two men was made for Feb. 8 and, to ensure that Chicky would not run off, it would be a steel cage match. At one point, Chicky tried to climb out of the cage, but Invader stopped him and they exchanged blows straddilng the top of the cage. Eventually, they are tussling in the ring and Invader hits his heart punch when...

Ending of Invader 1 vs. Chicky Starr Cage Match - Feb. 8, 1986

Invader 1 had Chicky on the ropes after hitting the heart punch. Pissed off over what had previously happened, Invader picked up Chicky and set him up for another heart punch when an uninvited guest entered the cage. Invader 1 tries to cut off Jos LeDuc, but he quickly overwhelms Inavder and puts the boots to him. Meanwhile, Chicky is still somewhat out of it, trying to gather himself on the ropes. Invader 3 comes out to aid his partner and goes after LeDuc. Both Invaders double team LeDuc as Chicky is still recovering from the heart punch. Now Abdullah the Butcher comes out to help Jos LeDuc. (As an aside, I couldn't help chuckling at Abdullah squeezing in through the cage door.) Hugo on commentary is screaming "What is going on here!?!". As Abdullah grabs Invader 1, Carlos Colon sprints in dressed in slacks, a dress shirt and a powder blue sports coat. Carlos takes off the coat before getting into the ring and goes after Abdullah. Chicky has finally gotten up and all six men are paired up and fighting. As Hugo cheers on the tecnicos on commentary, the French Hangman appears to help out the rudos. He is carrying a chain which he uses to lock the cage door with. The rudos then proceed to destroy the tecnicos. (Hugo: What the hell is this Padin!) Abdullah has his trusted fork with him and takes turns stabbing the tecnicos with it. At this point, Miguelito Perez, the Rock N Roll RPMs and Super Medico come in to try to help their fellow tecnicos. However, the cage door is locked and the French Hangman runs interference to foil their attempts of climbing in. Eventually, the tecnicos get two of the ring crew members to start working on disconnecting one of the cage walls. The rudos continue attacking Carlos and the Invaders. Finally, the cage wall is pried loose and the tecnicos rush in. However, the rudos had already exited out of the cage door and headed for higher ground. As the rudos celebrate outside of the ring, the tecnicos attend to Carlos and the Invaders. Eventually all three are carried out to receive medical attention.

Before proceeding to March of 1986, a couple of quick notes.

Chicky and Invader 1 would face off again on Feb. 22 in a chain match, considered one of their more brutal matches.

Carlos would get his revenge on Jos LeDuc in a barbed wire match.

Also, on that same show, Invader was scheduled to face Kamala, but Abdullah attacked him prior to the match and busted him open. Against doctor's orders, Invader wrestled Kamala anyway.

After these attacks by Abdullah, Invader would face off against Abdullah on March 1. By this time, Chicky had become Abdullah's manager.

Finally, a new wrestler would show up in Puerto Rico and align himself with Chicky Starr. Someone Chicky claimed was his cousin. A wrestler by the name of Ron Starr. And it would not be long before the Starr Cousins would make an impression.

As mentioned previously, Invader 1 was set to take on Abdullah the Butcher on March 1. For this encounter, Carlos Colon would serve as the special referee. Also on that card, Ron Starr faced Al Perez and Chicky Starr challenged (unsuccesfuly) Invader 3 for the Junior heavywieght title.

Invader 1 vs. Abdullah the Butcher with Special referee Carlos Colon - Mar. 1, 1986

Carlos is the ref and Chicky is at ringside as Abdullah's manager. Carlos tries to check Abdullah for foreign objects but is met with some resistance. Carlos eventually checks him and finds a foreign obkect in his tights. Invader makes his entrance and the match is on. Invader quickly pounces on Abdullah and, shockingly, hits a quick heart punch. Abdullah falls, but is near the ropes and barely grabs them to break the pinfall. From there, Abdullah goes into survival mode as Invader just has his way with him (to the crowd's delight). Every now and then Chicky tries to get close, but Carlos cuts him off. Invader hits a suplex Abdullah. Abdullah eventually manages to strike Invader in the throat. As Carlos checks on Invader, Chicky passes a foreign object to Abdullah. When Carlos goes towards Abdullah, he is attacked with a fork. Abdullah proceeds to attack both Carlos and Invader. Before Abdullah can do too much damage, the RPMs and Invader 3 arrive and fight off Abdullah. Chicky and Abdullah leave as the tecnicos check Carlos and Invader 1. The ringside doctor enters the ring and also checks them. Eventually, they all head back to the locker room.

From there, Chicky would start feuding with Invader 3 over the Junior heavywieght title. He would also team up with Ron Starr to face the Invaders in tag matches. Chicky would defeat Invader 3 for the Junior Heavyweight title on March 4. The next day, March 5, the Starr Cousins would win the North American tag titles from the Invaders.

Invader 3 would regain the Junior Heavyweight title on March 19.

While the Starrs feuded with the Invaders, Carlos was busy with Abdullah. I'm now sure that the Carlos Colon vs. Abdullah match I posted earlier is from around this time.

This would all lead to a rematch between them on April 5.

Starting from the 1:10 mark, we see the end of a match between Carlos and Abdullah. This match had two referees assigned (this is why I believe the previous match is the set up to this one). One of them has been taken out, so the second referee has taken over. As Carlos starts to put the figure four on Abdullah, Ron Starr tries to interfere. The referee stops him. While the referee is busy with Ron Starr, Abdullah takes control of the match. Invader 1 appears and climbs the turnnbuckle. He surprises Abdullah with a top rope heart punch. Carlos then covers the fallen Abdullah and gets the win.

After this match, two things occurred. The first is Chicky Starr would once again win the Junior heavywieght title from Invader 3 on April 12 The second is that the Starrs and Invaders would have a match on April 19 that would result in the North American tag titles being held up.

Also, during this time period, the six men would face off in different encounters. Eventually, a six man tag between Abdullah and the Starr Cousins and Carlos and the Invaders was signed for April 26.

Carlos Colón and The Invaders vs. Abdullah The Butcher and Chicky Starr & Ron Starr - April 26, 1986

The teams are introduced and they immediately start fighting. Hector Moyano comments that the tecnicos are looking to avenge all of the interference the rudos have done in the individual matches they have had. Eliud Gonzalez puts over these six men as the top wrestlers in Puerto Rico. Moyano comments that they all want Chicky to eat his words. ("He called Carlos a negro, Invader 3 a dwarf and Invader 1 a pig.") This is a heated six man tag with Invader 3 being the face in peril for a stretch.

Jumping ahead to the end of the match, all six men are fighting in the ring, As the Starrs and Invaders spill to the outside. Carlos is able to surprise Abdullah with a clothesline for the pin. Post match, Abdullah throws something into Carlos' face as the Starr Cousins and the Invaders keep fighting on the outside. (Moyano: "It smells like it had alcohol".) Carlos starts violently convulsing while covering his face. As the Invaders and the doctor help Carlos to the back, the announcers speculate that it was ammonia that was thrown in his face (they apparently could smell it). They also express worry and hope that Carlos has not suffered a serious injury.

Unfortunately, the ammonia thrown into Carlos' face got into his eyes and blinded him. As a result, the Universal title was declared vacant on April 30. It appeared that Carlos Colon's career was over at the hands of Abdullah the Butcher.

Just a heads up in case anyone is interested. Tonight is the Aniversario 40 show. It will be available as an iPPV through http://www.wwclive.com. This year's Aniversario is being dedicated to Pedro Morales.

The card is as follows:

MAIN EVENT (Note: This match will not be transmitted through the iPPV)

"The Icon" STING VS "El Autoproclamado Ícono Puertorriqueño" CARLITO

MASK VS MASK WITH Orlando 'Pretty Boy' Toledo AS SPECIAL REFEREE

EL REY FENIX VS EL SUPER FENIX

MIXED TAG MATCH OF RESPECT AND CARLOS COLON'S FINAL EVER MATCH

"El Eterno Acróbata de Puerto Rico" CARLOS COLON & STACY COLON vs. "The Puertorican Dream" EL INVADER #1 & LA TIGRESA.

UNIVERSAL TITLE

"El León" APOLO vs. "The Academy" CHRIS ANGEL © managed by José Chaparro

PUERTO RICO TITLE

"El Boricua Mayor" SAVIO VEGA vs. "El Macho Dominicano de 7 Suelas" EL BRONCO #1 ©.

TRIPLE THREAT FOR THE WORLD TAG TITLES

"La Artillería Pesada" THUNDER & LIGHTNING vs. "La Zona 101" CHICANO & ABBAD vs. SONS OF SAMOA ©.

WORLD JR TITLE

RIKOCHET © vs. "Mr. San Juan" TOMMY DIABLO

THE FEUD CONTINUES

"The Tough Man" ANDY LEAVINE VS "La Pesadilla Negra" SAMSON WALKER

4 vs 4

"La Promesa" JAY VELEZ, ZION RT1,"El Alma Perdida" XIX XAVANT & SR.C VS "El Principe de las Tinieblas" EL DIABOLICO, SLAYER ANDREW, AJ & "The Trouble Maker" STEVE JOEL

AND MUCH!!!!!...MUCH MORE!!!!!

Honestly, outside of Sting's appearance (and his match won't be transmitted through the iPPV) and the Pedro Morales dedication, I find it to be underwhelming for an Aniversario card. They're basically running slightly different permutations of the matches we've had in the past few months.

Someone on youtube has already uploaded big chunks of the show. I wanna see the main and Savio v. Bronco and those aren't up so far as I can see. I did watch the mixed tag and the tag title match. Mixed tag had some fun moments from Invader a crowd going batshit for Colon's comeback, but not much else. Tag match was a total, balls to the wall sprint and super enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Going into May of 1986, the Universal title was vacant due to Carlos being blinded by Abdullah. A decision on what would be done to fill the vacancy would be made a couple of months later. Chicky, as one would expect from him, would boast and make fun of Carlos' situation. In the meantime, the feud between the Starrs and the Invaders would continue.

On a match held on May 2nd for TV, Invader 1 and Chicky Starr faced each other once again. It was a match where Invader had the advatage. However, late in the match, Chicky took advantage of the referee being tied up with Invader and took out a foreign object from his tights. When Invader made his way towards Chicky he was met with a foreign object assisted heart punch. This knocked Invader down and got Chicky the pinfall win

On May 4th, Invader 3 would once again regain the Junior Heavyweight title from Chicky Starr. It is around this time that the famous scaffold match took place.

Invader #3 vs. Chicky Starr - Scaffold Match (1986)

Also, the held up North American titles would be contested by both teams in a match held on June 2nd. The Starr Cousins would win the NA Tag titles once more that night.

It was also around this time that the feud between Chicky and Invader 1, raging since the start of the year, would be put a bit on the backburner, with them jawing at each other but not directly tangling. Instead, the Starr Cousins would get invoved in the tag scene against other opponents. Chicky would also start doing match commentary on the tv shows. Meanwhile, Invader 1 would find himself tangling with someone Chicky brought in as part of his Sports Club. A man who had made quite the mark two years prior.

But while all this was happening, some good news would be announced. Carlos Colon's eyesight had come back! And even though he was not yet at 100%, and against the doctor's recommendation, he wanted to get his hands on Abdullah the Butcher. The match would be signed for June 15th. Six weeks after the attack with the ammonia, Carlos would get his chance at Abdullah at a card dubbed "Venganza al Atardecer" ("Vengeance in the Afternoon"). The match wolld have the stipulation that their would be no return match after this encounter. The grudge match to end all grudge matches was signed.

"Vengeance in the Afternoon", held at Hiram Bithorn Stadium, would end up as one of the biggest cards in Capitol Sports history. Apparently, it holds the WWC record for largest attendance for a singles match main event (the record overall is for a tag match main event between Carlos & Abdullah vs. Hansen & Brody from 1984). In addition to the record setting crowd, the card was also transmitted via closed circuit to Roberto Clemente Colisuem (which is right next door to Hiram Bithorn Stadium, they are part of the same complex). Besides the main event of Carlos Colon vs. Abdullah the Butcher, other grudge matches were signed for the card. One of them involved Invader 1 and the man hinted at earlier, Bruiser Brody.

Bruiser Brody had been quite the handful in 1984. Although Carlos had managed to drive him away (with the help of Abdullah), fans remembered the destruction and carnage the hussing wildman with the furry boots had left in his wake. Less than two years later, Bruiser Brody would make his return.

Bruiser Brody vs. Victor Mercado (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75agMNAuVBYWWC

This is a squash match from around Brody's return. Chicky quickly puts over that Brody has no scruples, he's not in there to give hugs and kisses, he's in there to win and provoke pain to his opponent. As Brody takes his opponent to the stands and back to the ring, Chicky mentions that that is how you have to handle all of the garbage among the wrestlers in Puerto Rico, such as "that grimy Carlos Colon and those pigs Invader 1 and Invader 3. This man here is the one that will destroy them." Brody wins the match and ends up hussing at the crowd.

Bruiser Brody vs. Victor Cancel (1986)

Here is another match with Brody facing another 'cojepelas' (what the fans call jobbers in Puerto Rico, it translates as 'beating taker' or if you want, the more colorful 'ass kicking taker'). Poor Victor Cancel gets absolutely manhandled here, getting hit with a chair. Chicky calls Brody the most beastly man in wrestling as he eggs him on from the commentary table. Brody throws Cancel back in the ring and eventually gets the win. Brody again leaves hussing at the crowd, but thsi time goes up in the stands and sends the crowd fleeing. He then appears to try to enter the tecnico locker room, but changes his mind and goes towards the rudo locker room.

Bruiser Brody vs. Franklin Washington (1986)

Another poor sap gets destroyed by Bruiser Brody. As Chicky remarks that Brody's orders are to destroy whoever he comes across, Brody attacks Washington outside of the ring by choking him with a camera cable. Chicky: 'This man is a very important man in my organization. The Sports Club is honored to have this man among its ranks." Brody wins and attacks his opponent post match.

Bruiser Brody vs. Maelo Huertas (1986)

Another match for Brody, this time against Maelo Huertas (Inavder 1's brother). Chicky insults Maelo on comemntary, calling him a 'guajino' and saying that he should have been born 100% pig. Chicky: "All of the hate I feel for those damn Invaders and Invader 1's brother has been transferred to Bruiser Brody. He'll first finish off that pig Maelo Huertas and then those two damn Invaders that are left." Maelo's trying but his blows aren't having much of an effect. Padin: "It's like hitting a wall with the lack of effect those blows are having."

As Chicky continues saying that Brody can't be beaten, Brody chucks Maelo outside of the ring and into the steel post. Chicky: "Poor little pig doesn't know what he's gotten himself into. When this match is over all that will be left is a couple of pounds of pig meat." Maelo's busted open and Brody continues the assault. Chicky: "This guajino's wrestling career is ending tonight." Brody continues the savage assault as Chicky claps on from the commentary table.

Brody lifts Maelo up from a pinfall to continue administering punishment. At this point, Invader 1 has had enough and jumps in to attack Brody and save his brother. They fight outside of the ring and a chair gets involved. Invader accidentally takes out the ref and Brody decks Invader. Brody then goes to the top and jumps off with a knee on Maelo. Invader once again gets in the ring but Brody leaves. Invader gives chase and sends Brody back to the locker room. He then goes back to the ring and attends to his brother who is badly hurt. The stretcher eventually arrives and Maelo is carried out.

Because of this attack on Maelo, Invader 1 would sign a match against Bruiser Brody for June 15. But again, there would be other grudge matches on the card.

Ray Gonzalez v. Carlos Colon - 1998

I have thought about watching this many times, but have always been scared off by the length as the idea of a Colon match going 25-plus in 1998 seemed pretty unappealing. It turns out I was right to fear the length, but wrong to think it might sink the match. This was a good match, that would have been great if it was eight-to-ten minutes shorter. On the one hand all of the work in the opening shine was solid and actually pretty impressive in the sense that Colon was still moving around very well and Gonzalez was busting his ass to make the boss look good. On the other hand it had a real "rinse, wash, repeat" feel to it. They established with the first couple of exchanges that Colon was the superior wrestler and then they just drove that point home, over and over and over. It kind of felt like an otherwise good AWA match that was hampered by a front end obsessed with beating the viewer over the head with the notion that the heels are inferior crybabies. Having said that this match had a ton going for it. I loved the transition spot for instance as I think Colon legitimately flubbed a spot off the ropes and rather than it hurting the match, Gonzalez took over attacking the leg. The early brawling on the floor was really awesome and violent and led to Colon getting color which is always a plus in any match he's in. Colon fighting back with the timekeepers hammer was pretty great too. The stretch run basically starts when Gonzalez lifts a club from one of the police officers and whacks Colon in the leg with it. From that point forward the whole match is basically about leg work, including some sick looking chop blocks from Gonzalez and a couple of really epic figure-four spots. I wish Colon had sold the leg a bit more on his comeback, but it wasn't an egregious blow off and it worked in the moment. Still the star of this was Gonzalez. He bumped and stooged like a champ and still hung toe-to-toe with the baddest man on the block. He looked like a guy you could build a promotion around and make real money with here. He ended up being one of the bigger stars in the company, but watching this it seems like he should have been bigger than he became

Ray Gonzalez v. Carlos Colon - 1998

I have thought about watching this many times, but have always been scared off by the length as the idea of a Colon match going 25-plus in 1998 seemed pretty unappealing. It turns out I was right to fear the length, but wrong to think it might sink the match. This was a good match, that would have been great if it was eight-to-ten minutes shorter. On the one hand all of the work in the opening shine was solid and actually pretty impressive in the sense that Colon was still moving around very well and Gonzalez was busting his ass to make the boss look good. On the other hand it had a real "rinse, wash, repeat" feel to it.

Did it literally feel like they were rewinding and playing this back on a loop? I've seen matches exactly like that where they go back to the same formula and don't do much to change up the heat or feel and literally just look to be adding minutes. But I'm sure we can also come up with tons of examples where they add in another chapter that builds towards the stretch and climax and throw in even a couple distinct wrinkles that tie to what occurred earlier. Curious where this fits, though from the description it sounds more like the former.

It was very rewindish. There was some variation, mainly due to the reactions of Gonazalez, but there wasn't near the amount of deviation from the norm you would want in an extended sequence like that. It was so repetitive I actually could see people giving up on the match in the first ten minutes which would be a real shame