Pro Wrestling Only

Puerto Rico Wrestling

Dylan Waco

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to change directions here, but have a question for Boricua / Dylan / anyone else with good Puerto Rico knowledge:

What is the storyline behind the "Original TNT (Action Jackson)" and TNT (Savio Vega)? Was Jackson TNT, then maybe left, and then Vega took the character, followed by Jackson returning and claiming it?

Curious how this feud worked...

I forgot to answer this earlier, sorry about that Smack. The short answer is Chicky being Chicky (basically being an a-hole). Chicky brought in Action Jackson and claimed that he was the original TNT (he wasn't). The feud came about with Chicky bringing in this wrestler he claimed was the original TNT and the one we had seen was an impostor. Chicky would constantly run down the real TNT and call him a fake. The most notable incident was that Chicky went as far as to call TNT out by his real shoot name at one point while going on and on about him being a fake and his guy being the real deal. TNT had enough and told Chicky he would face his phony TNT. Shockingly, TNT lost the first match to the original "TNT" when he got put down with the cobra hold. In a nod to continuity, original TNT refused to wake TNT up and TNT felt the effects of what he had done when he had been a heel.

The feud was to come to a head at the Aniversario 89 show in a winner take all match for the rights to the TNT name, identity and face paint. However, with Hurricane Hugo set to hit Puerto Rico in the early morning of the following day, the Aniversario 89 show was cancelled hours before it was to take place as part of the mandated curfew precautions. Action Jackson left right after this, so no proper blowoff between the two was held in 1989. Instead, when the rescheduled Aniversario show took place, it was TNT vs. Chicky Starr in a 5 minute apuestas match. If TNT failed to beat Chicky in 5 minutes, he would lose the TNT name and gimmick. If TNT defeated Chicky in 5 minutes, Chicky would lose his hair. TNT won. That put the issue with Chicky to bed.

The feud with Original TNT did get closure when Action Jackson returned billed again as the Original TNT right at the end of 1990. Once again both men feuded over the name for the first two months of 1991, and this time there was closure when TNT beat Original TNT in the winner take all identity match held the first weekend of March 91. From there, Action Jackson remained in WWC as Action Jackson until the summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

So Episode 11 of my podcast is going to be all about WWC. Anyone want to make suggestions for what to include in a one hour WWC compilation from the 80's? I've got it down to about 3.5 hours of stuff, but that's a bit much. Sadly none of us are fluent enough in Spanish for promos.

I definitely want to get as much talent as possible and not just a Carlos Colon comp. Thanks in advance.

So Episode 11 of my podcast is going to be all about WWC. Anyone want to make suggestions for what to include in a one hour WWC compilation from the 80's? I've got it down to about 3.5 hours of stuff, but that's a bit much. Sadly none of us are fluent enough in Spanish for promos.

I definitely want to get as much talent as possible and not just a Carlos Colon comp. Thanks in advance.

Sure, I'll try to narrow some stuff down. Do you have 1-3 matches you definitely want to include? I may suggest some complementary stuff based on that (so as not to go too gimmick match heavy if you already have some that are definites).

• 4 months later...

Today Javier Rodriguez uploaded a bunch of stuff to Youtube.

Including how the rivalry between Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody vs Carlos Colon & Abdullah the Butcher began.

Bruiser Brody vs Jorge Clemente TV match

And Stan Hansen vs Huracan Castillo Jr

We're having a discussion about it on the History of Puerto Rico Facebook page.

Dave talking about Brody's death the other day reminded me of how there's so many questions that never got (or never will be) answered about it, like why did Jose do it? The only thing that ever gets mentioned was that Brody was often a pain in the ass to do business with but he was always like that, so it's not like it's something to suddenly murder over. Plus Dave mentioned they were often travel buddies up to a few days before the murder. That's some cold shit when you think about it.

How much did Carlos Colon know? Again it seems that the consensus is that Jose was the only one who knew what was going to happen beforehand, but the company went into full coverup mode immediately. I can see giving him a pass for the show that night with the whole "the show must go on" mentality, but it sure seemed like they already decided how things would play out.

Was it even worth it? All the covering up, and it ended up killing the business anyway. Not only was it a black eye to the fans, they couldn't pull the level of talent they had before so everything dropped. It's not like 90s AWA levels, but it's kind of sad watching the weekly WWC show in a half filled gym when this is the same promotion that used to draw big crowds to baseball stadiums.

Today Javier Rodriguez uploaded a bunch of stuff to Youtube.

Including how the rivalry between Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody vs Carlos Colon & Abdullah the Butcher began.

Bruiser Brody vs Jorge Clemente TV match

And Stan Hansen vs Huracan Castillo Jr

We're having a discussion about it on the History of Puerto Rico Facebook page.

It has been like Christmas seeing this footage pop up. Any new unearthed footage is such a treat. These videos are from August of 84, Hugo mentions on commentary on how he has recently returned from a tour of Japan. A quick check shows he was in Japan through July 31st. Excited to see what else turns up from any decade of Puerto Rico wrestling.

• 5 months later...

Meltzer wrote this in the latest Observer

"To show how bad things are in Puerto Rico, WWC has still not run a show since the island was crippled by the hurricane. CWA has run two shows since the hurricane and WWL is talking about coming back in February or March. The hurricane basically destroyed a wrestling industry that had been having regular shows for about 45 years"

Just a very sad story. Of course, the state of the wrestling industry is secondary to the impact on society. Hope long time conributor El Boricua is doing well in spite of the disaster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been quietly working on this for a month or so now (well quietly on this board, if you follow me on twitter you've probably seen me tweet about it) and can now announce that I've taken on the task of converting and organizing the 100 disc WWC set that's been out there for years. I've currently converted and put dates on the last 40 discs of the set and have uploaded the 1990 footage to my youtube channel www.youtube.com/c/ArmstrongAlley. There is a playlist there with all the 1990 stuff in order and I'm currently uploading all the 1991 stuff I've gotten so far as private videos and will make them public as soon as I get the listings & playlist finished. Then I'll go back and tackle the first 60 discs of the set where dates are going to be a little harder to come up with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Migs said:

What is this I'm hearing about the Briscoes in WWC? They feel like they might be a perfect fit. Is there any footage out there?

They worked a couple of the Aniversario weekend shows this past July. First night against La Revolución, and the second night vs. Thunder & Lightning. No idea about if/when these matches will air on the Super Estrellas tv show.