Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party #4

goodhelmet

I know today is Valentines Day but my wife and i are having dinner tomorrow night so we don't have to wait for three hours to get a table. I can do the show tonight or tomorrow. If we do it tomorrow, it would be later than normal, maybe an hour later. If you are interested in being a part of the show but tomorrow would work better for you, speak up!!! If not, Johnny and I will join whoever wants to jump in tonight.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, we decided to do the show tonight. It will be myself, Johnny Sorrow and Kris Z for sure. If you and the Missus have a different day to celebrate V-Day or if you are riding solo in the game of life, feel free to join us tonight at 930 est / 830 cst.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...6382&cmd=tc

This is the line up for tonight's show...

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Rick Martel (5/13/84)

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (6/14/84)

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (8/16/84)

Rick Martel vs. Brad Rheingans (9/9/84)

Nick Bockwinkel, Mr. Saito, & Bobby Heenan vs. Blackjack Lanza & The Fabulous Ones (9/9/84)

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (9/20/84)

I gave you a shout out soup.

Dylan... on the show, Kris justified its inclusion but I think even he ranked it last in the matches we watched. You dig clipped body work where they don't show the boring parts. That's cool.

The match really wasn't that clipped. I remember that being your criticism the original time around so I watched a lot more closely the second time to see how much of it was eaten up. It really wasn't that bad at all. Not even close to the worst clip job on the set, but this match didn't involve blood and was face v. face so it has to immediate knocks against it from some people.

Not one match we watched last night had blood. Jumbo vs. Martel was also face vs. face. I thought that overall, it was the best two hours we had watched.

I didn't even hate the match as much as Johnny but I thought the earliest clips when they were standing up were annoying but didn't take away from the match. The clips during the worked holds looked like they were cutting out the dead weight when other clipped matches felt more like commercial break clips, not killing the dead weight. I also hated the finish. When it was the only clipped match of the night and had a stupid finish, it wasn't going to rank high.

If it means anything Dylan I haven't rewatched the match but I had Martel/Rhegians 4th on the whole disc. I haven't watched the match since July, and haven't heard the show yet. Though now I really do want to hear it to hear how bat shit crazy Will and Johnny are about this match.

I had Martel-Rheingans third on that disc. The clipping in that match isn't any worse than the Blackwell/Adnan vs. High Flyers Cage in my opinion.

I thought the finishing run was really excellent and the early mat work was really unique. I had it comfortably better than Bock-Hennig which I was in way disappointed by. Jumbo-Martel is a great match but I think the finish might be worse only because of the execution. I recall shitty mistimed spots. At least Rheingans takes a good bump in the finish of his match.

I do think the Bock-Martel matches are awesome and both better than Martel-Rheingans. But Will and Johnny's irrational hate for that match is amusing.

If someone wants to bitch about a match. Watch that totally stupid Blackwell/Bundy vs. Roadies match. God, the Roadies suck.

Not one match we watched last night had blood. Jumbo vs. Martel was also face vs. face. I thought that overall, it was the best two hours we had watched.

I didn't even hate the match as much as Johnny but I thought the earliest clips when they were standing up were annoying but didn't take away from the match. The clips during the worked holds looked like they were cutting out the dead weight when other clipped matches felt more like commercial break clips, not killing the dead weight. I also hated the finish. When it was the only clipped match of the night and had a stupid finish, it wasn't going to rank high.

Jumbo worked heelish in the AWA. I'm too lazy to look, but if this was the first Jumbo v. Martel match I think Martel v. Rheingans was clearly better. Second Jumbo match is basically your 80's version of workrate sprint, with admittedly smarter than normal spots for a match of that sort. I expect people will love that, especially on this set.

I had forgotten this was Dylan's baby when I was watching the match last night. It's a shame we are still talking about this match when there is so much other awesome stuff on Disc 3! Bock-Martel... Fuck Yeah!!!

Not my baby, I just think it's transparently obvious that it's a great match, particularly for the style they were working. If you like little things in wrestling, I can't see not liking the match.

I do think the Bock-Martel matches are awesome and both better than Martel-Rheingans. But Will and Johnny's irrational hate for that match is amusing.

If someone wants to bitch about a match. Watch that totally stupid Blackwell/Bundy vs. Roadies match. God, the Roadies suck.

I don't hate the Roadies v. Blackwell/Bundy match, but along with the Crusher Cage Match it is the match I have been most surprised by the response too. There are people who are talking about that match as top twenty and I have no fucking clue how that is a top twenty match. I get that it is unique and big v. bigs is always fun on some level. That's what it was included. But it has the single worst spot on the entire set (maybe on any 80's Set ever actually) and on a set filled with good tag matches there is nothing it does to distinguish itself from the pack.

But again all this speaks to my view that there really isn't any consensus on this set.

Tell you what... WheneVer you have time to join us for a wrestling party, you can explain these little things live as we watch the match. We'll synch up as a bonus after the 2 hours we are watching. Alway willing to look for the little things since I always notice the great little things that Regal does when watching Regal matches. Watching these matches in a party podcast isn't changing my mind on matches I have already seen but at least you would be able to point out the great parts when watching it.