Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party Podcast #7

goodhelmet

Left tonight open in case EricR had free time but he had to go hang out with the old lady. Since I had the time set aside, I talked to Johnny Sorrow and Kris Z and both are ready to do a show tonight. Eric will pop up on a future show for sure so look for that. In the meantime, this is the line up for tonight's show...

Bobby Duncum & Billy Robinson vs. Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid (4/21/85)

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. Verne & Greg Gagne (4/21/85)

King Tonga, Masked Superstar, & Sheik Adnan Kaissey vs. Crusher Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter (Cage Match) (4/21/85)

Mr. Saito vs. Rick Martel (4/24/85)

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Larry & Curt Hennig (4/24/85)

Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts vs. High Flyers (5/23/85)

Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts vs. Da Crusher & Baron Von Raschke (6/13/85)

Show starts at 9:30 est / 8:30 cst. If you are stuck at home on a Friday night, feel free to join us!!!

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...6382&cmd=tc

My plan for this evening involves getting a massive chinese takeaway and a big bottle of pepsi max and sitting down with the second half of episode 3 and listening and watching straight through till the end of this episode or passing out -- whichever happens first.

At the very least I want to get to the end of disc 4. I am the world's worst when it comes to watching, but I have a block of time this weekend and am determined to use it to take a big chunk out of this set.

Will, don't know what your schedule is, but my opportunities for joining these recordings are limited by time difference to weekends only and then only when my wife has plans. I could do tonight at like 2 am GMT (9pm ET) if Chinese and 6 hours of AWA haven't killed me already. Just sayin'.

85 is really the stuff I've been looking forward to. Slaughter and Hansen etc., so would like to try to make one of those episodes.

Doc - you're still lined up as the next guest for Where the Big Boys Play too (Havoc 89), in a couple of weeks, so would be cool to talk to you beforehand.

Sounds good. I have VERY fond memories of Havoc '89. A personal favorite of my childhood.

My work schedule is absolutely stupid, so it's a rarity that I'm free (and awake) at the appropriate time for a show.

I think you guys should do a podcast of Johnny watching Highlander. I'm glad you guys went there with the Martel hard head joke. Will is slowly learning to own it. I wish that Robinson stuck around and served as DeBeers' second. I'm not sure I've ever seen Heel Mulligan either. I have seen a great Billy Robinson pro wrestling USA promo where he's handling Kamala though. I think the Tonga Kid tag will be right in the middle for me.

Second match I thought the beating on the heels went a little long. Nice to see Johnny finally give Greg some credit. I did like the sleeper war though. And the crazy post match was nuts. There should have been some team up of Fritz/Watts/Bruno/Verne and Jerry Jarrett vs the best that Adnan/Akbar/Blassie had to offer in the 80s.

I love the Tonga/Superstar cage. The cage here is used to further the story, as the great equalizer. It's not just a bunch of meaningless violence and blood. Easily my favorite cage match on the set and one of my favorite ever. There is a Slaughter/Lanza vs Tonga/Superstar match that goes a long time, Will, but I'm not sure I saw it. Blackwell's selling is great too. Really, this is the only cage match so far on the set where everything really makes sense and everything really matters. It's a great mix of irrational hatred and blood with really strong face in peril segments. None of the previous cage matches even come close. You guys whining about the lack of heel blood is probably what I sound like when I get pissed off with late match shine legwork in a cage match I guess. This is my #3

btw, I love the first Slaughter AWA promo too where they talk about the Sheik and he doesn't realize they're not talking about Iron Sheik. "WHAT! There's ANOTHER Sheik?!" Imagine the rest of this set if they kept working Winnipeg.

I'm with you guys on headlocks, and thought it was interesting here that the heel started off putting on the hold when most matches on the set had the face controlling early. Johnny being a Saito/Martel Apologist is funny. Who possibly listening to the Wrestling Party best of the 80s AWA PWO affiliated podcast is going to complain about guys working a hold instead of going for more ACTION. I'm with Kris on the fact that Martel NEVER hit that slingshot splash on the set. I've seen jobber matches where that was his actual finisher though so I felt better about it after seeing that. It's like Greg Gagne winning a match with a sleeper. Glad you loved Martel grabbing onto the mat too. That was awesome. Martel/Saito is my #20. Doesn't it suck we lost years of Saito's career? Martel is one of the best sellers of the 80s. No question.

I've got very little to say about the back half. It was sad seeing you guys optimistic at the start of the Crusher/Baron match knowing where it goes. Johnny Boogie Woogie Sorrow being depressed by a match is a sad thing indeed.

Kris' subdued marking out for the front chancery in every match was good.

Larry Hennig did that shitty collision transition again in his match btw thus somehow invalidating it in both matches he did it in. My least favorite spot on the entire set I think. Well, you know, past the worst offender of the 80s in that that shitty cage match to come.

1. King Tonga, Masked Superstar, & Sheik Adnan Kaissey vs. Crusher Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter (Cage Match) (4/21/85)

3. Mr. Saito vs. Rick Martel (4/24/85)

7. Bobby Duncum & Billy Robinson vs. Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid (4/21/85)

10. Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs. Verne & Greg Gagne (4/21/85)

12. Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens vs. Larry & Curt Hennig (4/24/85) - my working #128

13. Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts vs. High Flyers (5/23/85) - My working #146

14. Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts vs. Da Crusher & Baron Von Raschke (6/13/85) - My Absolutely, without a doubt #150.

I will listen to the next one tomorrow.

I agree that four shows in a week was a whirlwind marathon but suffered some burn out effect by the 4th show.

I really liked the series of matches shown in this podcast minus mainly the last Freebirds match.

The cage match seems like a top 15 lock and the Saito vs. Martel was a really good match. I also really liked the old fucks/ sons tags. Last freebirds match is in my bottom 3 so far.

I also concur with you Will that many times in watching 80's footage and a submission with someone hitting the mat, I yell oh shit he is tapping before realizing what year the match took place in.

• 4 months later...

Time to bust out the Louisiana BBQ Rib "American Style Bubble Chips".

The accompaniment? A pint of Theakston Old Peculiar, 2 hours of goodhelment, Kris Z and Sorry and on my screen two of the most random teams I've ever seen in my life.

Billy Robinson and actual Bobby Duncum vs. Jim Brunzell and The Tonga Kid?

What the hell? Should be interesting.

On the Bugs Bunny topic: Looney Tunes shorts were shown regularly here for years and then randomly in the mid-00s fell off the face of the earth. They just don't show those cartoons anymore.

I don't think the BBC would have shown the racist ones though, not even in the 80s or 90s. They always seemed to play the same 30 or so ones. I feel like there was never a Looney Tunes short that I hadn't already seen.

Reckon I saw that one where Bugs does the dive into the little bucket and the trapeze act about 100 times.

KrisZ is right that heel Freebirds in 89 were cool for a while around the time of Hayes's US title shot, but they become uncool almost overnight.

You can almost measure it. I think Chad and I watched it play out in real time not too long ago. KrisZ is very on the money on this point.

If I had to point to a single show, it's Clash 8 when they win the World Tag titles. From that moment on they suck. Before that, I think Hayes still has something.

• 3 weeks later...

Will,

Gotta disagree with you....teh AWA Title Martel wore, although HUGE and a cool belt doesnt hold a candle to the look of the one they used before this one and went back to after Hansen ran this over...that belt was incredible, different and screamed WORLD TITLE...

Martel Belt (others wore it to, Gagne / Bock / Wanz / Tsuruta):

Posted Image

Hansen and After:

Posted Image

I know others disagree...but I gotta go with the post Hansen...I think the belt was used before the Martel one as well...