Pro Wrestling Only

Your top 5 Tag Teams of all time!

JazeUSA

Bit boring just to roll out a list without comments, but everybody else has and I don't have time to elaborate at the minute:

Holy Demon Army

Briscoe Brothers

Sabu/RVD

KENTA/Naomichi Marufuji

Crush Gals

I haven't actually seen too much Midnight Express/Rock 'n' Roll Express stuff, except for the hyped matches against each other. Not seen a whole lot of 80s NWA or JCP either, whuch is kind of a golden age for this stuff.

Amazing nobody else picked the Crush Gals, are AJW Classics out of fashion? Have the DVDVR sets got round to covering it yet? Just the whole period is fantastic, with the ridiculous heat for the matches, all the singing interludes, great singles, great tags.

Bit boring just to roll out a list without comments

I agree and so will provide comments with mine. Will preface by saying I've still not got to 86+ AWA or seen any 90s All Japan:

5. I really want to put a WCW 92 era team here like Steamboat/ Dustin, Arn / Larry, Arn / Eaton or even Steamboat / Douglas but all those runs were too short to justify inclusion. So ...

Stan Hansen and Tenryu (89) - a pair of total asskickers, Tenryu bringing bad assery to the max with his attitude, Hansen is Stan fucking Hansen. Unlike many other asskicker type teams these guys could really work too. And totally awesome matches to boot.

4. The Fantastics - two very good workers, Rogers probably the better worker overall but Fulton on his day could really bring it and outshine Rogers (soup23 put Fulton as his number 10 pick overall for 80s NWA workers). In NWA they seem to have a greater number of really good ****+ matches than the Rock 'n' Roll Express and, for my money, their offense is more dynamic and occassionally more brutal and intense (see that Gilbert/Simmons match or vs. MX from one of the TV matches in 88)

3. Arn / Tully - I do think they may be a smidge overrated in general, but that doesn't take away from the fact you've got an all-time great worker in Tully and once of the solidest of good hands in Arn on the same team. They work an interesting dynamic with Tully often playing a "weak link" chicken shit schemer and Arn the power man. Will never get enough of the spinebuster and the sling-shot suplex. Some truly great matches like vs. Luger/Windham at Clash 1. Some good stuff in WWF too.

2. Yatsu / Choshu (85-6) - Involved in the best tag match I've seen. Total kickass combination. Yatsu I maintain has some of the coolest offense of any wrestler, Choshu just oozes charisma and big-timeness. Together they have awesome double team spots and always work at a million miles an hour. Very awesome team.

1. The Midnight Express - it's not just Eaton and partner, it's Cornette too, a vital part of the package. I've seen some really great stuff from Lane recently in their 88-9 stuff working both heel and face. Condrey was probably the best "character" of the three of them, and certainly the best at schtick or working the crowd. Probably a smarter wrestler than Lane on balance, but Lane is a tad underrated I think. Eaton is obviously great.

Amazing nobody else picked the Crush Gals, are AJW Classics out of fashion? Have the DVDVR sets got round to covering it yet?

80s joshi hasn't been covered in the 80s DVDVR project (yet). I'm looking forward to the 80s joshi set. Hopefully it will come out one day. I'm also looking forward to Dan Ginnetty's 1984-1991 AJW TV double DVD set. Hopefully that one will come out one day as well. :P

The Crush Gals are one of my favorite joshi tag teams ever. I think old school AJW is definitely not "in fashion" at the moment, but is still respected and popular with some die-hard experts.

Here are my favorite joshi tag teams:

1. Yumi Ikeshita & Mami Kumano, the Black Pair

Great heels. Ikeshita was a fantastic worker. Kumano was really cool and awesome too. I also like the original Black Pair, which consisted of Shinobu Aso & Yumi Ikeshita (but there isn't much footage of them, unfortunately).

2. Chigusa Nagayo & Lioness Asuka, the Crush Gals

One of the best, most influential and most popular tag teams ever. Chigusa Nagayo was fantastic and I am currently looking forward to watch more of her 80s matches. Lioness was cool too, but the greatness of the Crush Gals was mostly about Chigusa, in my opinion.

3. Bison Kimura & Aja Kong, Jungle Jack

I've really become a big fan of Bison Kimura lately. Jungle Jack was an awesome tag team. Everyone definitely needs to watch their matches.

4. Noriyo Tateno & Itsuki Yamazaki, Jumping Bomb Angels

Most people know them from their appearances in WWF. Definitely a legendary tag team and their matches were fun to watch.

5. Mayumi Ozaki & Cuty Suzuki

Two of my favorite joshi workers ever. I love their matches. Not much else to say about them, other than that their match vs. Kyoko Inoue & Takako Inoue from Dream Slam I is quite famous.

My favorite non-joshi tag teams:

1. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi

This is just an amazing tag team that has participated in some really great matches and they are two of my favorite wrestlers ever.

2. Stan Hansen & Genichiro Tenryu

They were a great tag team in 1989. Their match vs. Giant Baba & Rusher Kimura is one of my favorite matches ever. They were a badass team that took care of some serious business in the ring.

3. Stan Hansen & Giant Baba

It's Hansen & Baba... That's a dream team to me.

4. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue, the Holy Demon Army

They were involved in many classic tag team matches. Simply one of the best tag teams ever.

5. Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels, the (Midnight) Rockers

A bit of a nostalgic pick, but their matches are still loads of fun to watch and actually still hold up, in my opinion. I used to be a huge Michaels fan (I still am somewhat of a fan of his work), but nowadays I tend to prefer Jannetty.

No love for those damn Dudleys?

lol, Ive never liked them personally & think they are over rated, but I'm sure lots do like them & would say I'm crazy

1. The Midnight Express- I prefer the Condrey and Eaton version over Lane and Eaton. But they are both awesome. Thanks Will for making that set!!

2. The Freebirds-1980-1986- The Hayes, Gordy and Roberts team. They were part of a lot of history and some huge moments in wrestling. I think they lived up to the hype which was enormous. Hayes is an all time mic guy and Gordy is one of the best ever. Roberts was just the perfect balance for the two.

3. The Dynamic Duo- The feud with Kevin and Kerry is very underrated in my opinion. It was an absolute blast. Gino was very sloppy and not very good in the ring but he did have that charisma and could get away with it.

4. Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden- The best team from the great lost territory. They were fucking hilarious and great in the ring. Man could they brawl.

5. The New Breed- Yep they were awesome. Second best tag team squash matches ever behind the Midnight Express. Who knows what would have happened if not for the car wreck.

PG-13 would be up there but I have not seen enough of them yet. I think we need to see a comp of these guys. I love what I have seen.

I'm strongly considering doing a PG13 set in the near future

1. Public Enemy

2. Men On A Mission

3. Owen Hart & Yokozuna

4. Damián 666 & Ciclope

5. Paul London & Brian Kendrick

Public Enemy was a solid team, never my taste or style of working but very good at what they did for sure

London & Kendrick put out some of WWE's best tag matches in a long time (up to the point where there title reign was)

PG-13 would be up there but I have not seen enough of them yet. I think we need to see a comp of these guys. I love what I have seen.

I'm strongly considering doing a PG13 set in the near future

Do this and have all my money.

After reading this thread I decided to take the plunge last night and check out the mysterious and much-hyped PG-13. After watching everything a cursory Youtube search has to offer, it looks as though they are my new favourite tag team. I need more footage immediately.

Edge & Christian, Hardy Boys and Dudley Boyz did a fantastic job of making tag team wrestling interesting early last decade with great characters and great matches that will stand the test of time.

British Bulldogs were my #1 team growing up mostly watching wrestling on tapes. The original Hart Foundation were fantastic as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just thinking and I cannot believe I forgot one of TRUE top 5's..

Big John Studd and King Kong Bundy.....they SHOULD have had a LONG post WM feud with teh Bulldogs and gotten the titles if even for a short spell....they were awesome, especially in promos...

Dream tag for me - Studd / Bundy vs. Twin Towers......oh yeah! Wrestling wise? Shit....entertainment wise....off the charts...

• 2 weeks later...

I love tag team wrestling from the 80's and 90's. It is my go to when I want to watch wrestling.

#1- Road Warriors. Love everything about them. They had such a great look, charisma, presence and their promos were great. Being billed from Chicago which is where I'm from along with Iron Man as their entrance music only added to the aura for me. It really didn't then or now matter that they were not great workers.

#2 - Steiner Brothers. When they came around they had such a different move set that I had never seen up to that point is what made them stand out for me. Also having an amateur background made them seen legit. They never had the greatest psychology, but still had a ton of fun matches, especially in the first few years or so. They were one of the few wrestlers worth tuning into WCW for in the early 90's.

#3 - British Bulldogs. Like the Steiners they never had the greatest psychology. They made up for that with a cool look and some very original gymnastic type of moves for the time, combine that with some power moves and you had a fun team. I still love watching their matches with the Hart Foundation.

#4 - Midnight Rockers. Love their stuff in both the AWA and the WWF. Their aerial moves were the best of any team from that era IMO. I never saw them as a rip off of RNR, just an updated version. I still remember seeing that Vegas bloodbath match with Rose/Somers as a teen in 86 and thinking it was one of the best matches I had seen up to that point, I still think that.

#5 - This spot is really forever team I'm digging at the moment as it can change from week to week. Some that would fall into this category would be MX, Doom, RNR, High Flyers, Birds Sheepherders, Fantastics, VE, SST, Hart Foundation, Tully/Arn, Russians, Gino/Adams, Rougeaus and POP.