Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-03-WCW-Nitro] DDP, The Outsiders, Randy Savage and Sting

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

DDP finishes a match and The Outsiders are out with pipes. Hall and Nash are wearing Luger and Giant t-shirts ... cute. It looks like they are finally about to take DDP out when Sting and Randy Savage show up in the crowd. DDP gets a chair since it's unclear if anyone is on his side or not. Hall and Nash finally bail. DDP survives yet again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is interesting to me that all of Sting's interactions on the yearbook with WCW guys to this point have been wrestlers that are sort of WCW outcasts like himself. Savage went insane at the end of 1996 and was gone forever, so he is not exactly Mr. WCW at the moment. Giant betrayed WCW before turning back. DDP has been a loner heel his entire career since becoming a wrestler and only really turned face because he stood up to the NWO. Maybe it was all coincidental but I do get the impression watching this segment and others that they were heading in the direction of forming a min-group of WCW outcasts with those four. It never happened but it doesn't seem completely coincidental to me that Sting chooses to align with the guys he does align himself with.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1997-02-03-WCW-Nitro] DDP, The Outsiders, Randy Savage and Sting
  • 4 months later...

I could see this being a touch confusing or overly cute if you try to make too much sense of it. Hall and Nash have been so confident that Sting is nWo, so walking away when he shows up sort of contradicts that. Or maybe that's the point? Their confidence is more hubris than anything and all that talk about him being nWo is them keeping up appearances. Maybe they're not nearly as sure as they'd have us think. And then you throw in the ultimate wildcard in Savage and yeah I guess I talked himself into thinking this was actually pretty good. I mean, it's five guys shooting looks at each other and the crowd were eating it all up. If you didn't know already, WCW were on a hell of a hot streak.