Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-10-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Roddy Piper gets the hero's welcome. Piper is still a bit shaken up by Bischoff treating Randy Anderson's kids the way he did, which is the type of overlap that I really enjoy in wrestling. Hogan is only present by satellite. This isn't Piper's best promo ever, but the emotion is strong, and by the standards of what we normally got from him at the time, it's excellent. Hogan does his usual awesome antagonizing and gets booed like hell. Hogan is GREAT at hitting all the right lines to get a massive reaction from this crowd exactly when he wants, even though he's only there by satellite. This is a money segment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Good segment with a lot of intensiy on Piper's part. But like I said before, Hogan vs Piper felt fresh the first time around, not so much at this point. It's already a rehash, and the result can't be as satisfying and fun as the Starrcade match.

• 1 year later...

Piper's so worked up about what happened to Randy Anderson that his usual rambling actually works--he's in too much of a rage to pick his words properly. A wrestler calling another a "bald-headed geek," whether it's Jimmy Valiant, Paul Jones, or Piper, will never get old. Hogan rebuts by ranting about "doctored footage" of Piper's previous victory and how he's too busy in Hollywood to appear with Piper live this week. Hogan is letter-perfect here: he's swaggering and confident as Hollywood is, but he still knows how to sell for Piper's comments, too. He "gets it" far more than Hall & Nash do, really.

It says something for how far ahead Nitro was that they could main event with a satellite interview, even running unopposed.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-10-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper
  • 6 months later...

Again, I love crazy rambling Roddy Piper to death so I'll probably like just about anything he does with a mic, but this was fairly on track and I thought it ruled. Hogan accusing him of doctoring the Starrcade footage to look like a Piper win is absurdly awesome and his character right now is near-perfect, right down to the facial expressions and timing of such. The way he shifts from acting like a goofy shithead to being real serious real quick as Piper calls him a bald-headed geek was amazing. Great segment. I have no recollection of the Superbrawl match so for all I know it's a pile of dogshit, but I'll be damned if they haven't got me a little stoked for it.