Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-04-07-WWF-Raw] Interview: Shawn Michaels

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the most obnoxious interview Shawn has ever done. Bret is working an angle trying to turn himself heel and Shawn has decided to shoot on Bret for over 10 minutes. It worked in building anticipation for an eventual match, but it's amazing that Vince McMahon would just sit there and let Shawn do this shit. He makes comments about Bret leveraging a better deal with the WWF by using WCW, exploiting his family on television, being second fiddle to Bret for years, Bret being difficult about jobbing to him at Wrestlemania and Bret wanting Shawn to fail as champion. He also says that Bret doesn't care about his fans, is a mark for himself and more. There is actually a part of me that sympathizes with Shawn in some ways, but this wasn't the forum to air this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

This is Shawns version of the 20 minute Bret interview from two weeks before. This also had some weird cuts of Shawn with a kid in the ring and post match WM 12 stuff. Shawn is not revealing when he is coming back and says 1996 was the best business year in 6 years and even makes vince agree. Pretty annoying stuff overall and while fascinating to watch in retrospect, I can see myself as a casual fan wondering what it had to do with the conflict in the ring.

Shawn's knee still looks fine to me. Michaels is so unlikeable and I do not get why the fans could even cheer him at this point. Lying piece of shit. Michaels gets things off his chest whether true or not. Shawn dances to his music. Your knee? You fucking asshole. Going on a diatribe about giving the fans their money but you sit out because of a knee injury. Whatever. This is the most effective heel turn if anything as more than anything I want to see Shawn get the shit beat out of him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Note how the favorable crowd reaction starts dissipating towards indifference, even hostility, when Shawn brings up irrelevant bullshit like Bret putting his family on TV. Then he just shits on kayfabe entirely, talking about how he "supported" Bret Hart while he was #2 in holding the Intercontinental title. You were FEUDING with him then, remember, Shawn? That shit about Bret not returning the favor is whinier than anything Bret has said in the past 6 months. Shawn drops the bombshell that Bret USED WCW FOR HIS OWN FINANCIAL GAIN, which doesn't deserve anything more than a shrug of the shoulders. This goes on and on and on without actually selling us on anything.

Owen and Bulldog attempt an attack, but Shawn holds them off with a chair. Of note only because right as we cut to break, Shawn offers a proto-crotch chop in their direction.

• 1 year later...

Shawn talks about how great he is, but makes sure to point out he has his problems too. Ha Ha Ha. Mostly though, he spends the entire time running down Bret & talking about how bad of a human being he is. This is absurd. One of the most obnoxious promos of all time. He even does a mocking dance for Bret. Fuck off. By the way, his knee doesn't look to be hurting him at all. Owen & Davey Boy are as annoyed as I am & run down to attack Shawn, but he grabs a chair. Shawn keeps them at bay & is able to run them off. In typical Shawn fashion he does a fucking handstand on the chair. What an asshole. He's way more unlikable than Bret. As Loss once said, Bret is working an angle & Shawn is shooting/venting.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-04-07-WWF-Raw] Interview: Shawn Michaels
  • 1 month later...

One of the worst promos ever from pre-20 minute opening spiel WWF. 

Shawn talked forever, with seemingly no purpose other than to vent his real-life frustrations out on Bret, and Bret isn't even in the building. The inside baseball shoot stuff would have been tedious to most fans watch, and Shawn doesn't even build to any sort of climax, talking until Owen and Bulldog run out for a lame nothing attempted attack. I also noticed how Shawn claimed he supported Bret when he was first champion, even though he was a heel to Bret's face for almost 3 years more.

Vince standing there while Shawn hijacked his show (deep in battle with Nitro) is one of the more emasculating things I've seen from him.

Complete garbage that doesn't build to anything other than Shawn's ego. Unbelievable to imagine promos got even more shooty from here.

WWF 1997 gets a lot of praise, but rewatching this show, god it was terrible whenever Austin/Foundation weren't on-screen feuding.