Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-05-03-ECW-TV] Raven and Stevie Richards promo

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

More Raven whining. People thought Bret was a whiner, sheesh! Raven looks pretty hungover here, but I think that's the idea. He wants to find Stevie Richards and pushes Blue Meanie out of the way. Raven begs Stevie to "take me out", "end my misery" and "end my pain". Just like most Raven stuff, laid on way too thick and weird for the sake of being weird. This stuff with Raven and Stevie better have a payoff with Stevie looking good at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The way this thing begin I was very close to hitting FF, but when Raven got angry this was actually pretty good for some seconds until it completely fell down a cliff. I could have lived with "end my pain", but "end my life, Stevie" is just too much.

It's strange, back in 97 and 98 when Raven joined WCW I thought this was a great character. Either the Raven character is something that resonates very well with 16 year-olds or this was a gimmick that just fit the Zeitgeist.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

They desperately need to shit or get off the pot with Stevie--either commit to making him a threat or decide that he's going to just stay as an ineffective doof, but do one or the other. I was going to criticize this for seeming like an introductory vignette for Raven from '95, but I appreciated the attempt at a left turn even if that didn't go down the right path either.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-05-03-ECW-TV] Raven and Stevie Richards promo
  • 1 year later...

You all don’t understand Raven’s pain but I sure do. This is fucking wonderful.

At this point Raven knows he is going to WCW, he drops the title to Funk at the first PPV as the first chapter in his last hurrah. Now this is the last chapter to go out in a blaze of glory. 

They have taken everything from him, even his flunkies/worshippers. His worst fear is realized he is alone. When you’re alone and isolated you become desperate. Desperate people make no sense. They vacillate between extremes. He lashes out and threatens to take ECW down with him in an inferno of violence with the anger focused on Funk and Dreamer. Another part of him just want it all to end to just fade away and die. Blaze of Glory or Fade Away? Then there’s the role Stevie plays in all this...

The Raven/Stevie relationship is fraught with abuse. Raven keeps Stevie dependent on him through his abuse. With Stevie threatening to assert his independence, Raven for the first time tries to cajole Richards and be sweet to him. The old I have learned my lesson and I’ve changed. Only once they come face to face Raven starts in with the abuse again and screaming for Richards to put him out of his misery. Because Raven can’t help himself. Hurt people hurt. If you don’t heal your own wounds, you bleed on those that never hurt you and that’s what happening with Raven and his violent mood swings.

As for Richards you don’t just get over this type of relationships in the matter of weeks or months, it takes years. His love for Raven is fucked up but in his heart it is love. Raven has his hooks in him. Raven can still work his voodoo magic. Richards logically has admitted Raven’s love is toxic and unhealthy but that’s just step 1. The next step is overcome the years of emotional abuse and not fall off the wagon when Raven comes knocking. 

People can bitch and moan about the waffling with Stevie all they want but that’s seeing the world in black and white. Stevie is a strong, independent man or a clueless putz. What if the truth was that Stevie was a young man who didn’t who he was and just wanted to fit in. He fell under the spell of a charismatic asshole. Now he is dealing with years of abuse, he wants to stand on his own but he is beaten into submission. This is NOT a babyface turn, not a flick of a switch but a process! Yes because of the WCW thing we never got a climax but the process is what is interesting. One Stevie Kick and voila Stevie is a Man who has faced & conquered his demons would be a slap in the face of two great years of storytelling and a slap in the face of anyone who was faced abuse in their lives.