Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-09-14-WCW-Fall Brawl] Lex Luger & DDP vs Scott Hall & Randy Savage

Loss

• 1 month later...

Last few minutes. Fun spot where Hall completely stomps Luger into a mudhole between the two rings, making Luger a non-factor. Hall then punches the referee before crotch chopping him. Another referee comes out and Hall beats him up too. Elizabeth is also very involved again. Larry Zbyszko is outraged at the broadcast booth and eventually decides to take matters into his own hands. Hall wants him to get in the ring just as Luger starts to crawl back from the abyss. He ends up shoving Zbyszko and Larry shoves him back, which leads him into a Luger rollup, with Larry counting the fall. Setting aside that Larry had no authority to count the fall, I liked this angle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I liked this finish. Yes, it is goofy for Larry to be an official but the reasoning of "they make their own rules, so we will too" seemed fair enough to me and I thought this was a good bone to give fans for WCW getting one up on the NWO based on what was to come in the main event. I also really liked seeing how active Liz was in this match setting up the final chapter in the Macho vs. DDP feud.

• 5 months later...

Really enjoyed this match, which set up a lot of cool stuff (the last chapter of Savage vs DDP, Zbyszko vs Hall). Luger getting stomped between the two ring was classic. As far as the finish goes, Larry Z. didn't "pretend" to be a referee, the nWo had lost de facto if you follow the rules since they beat up two referees already, which would warrant a DQ anyway. The pinfall was the cherry on the cake and humiliating for Hall. Really enjoyed this finish. Really enjoyed Liz's outfit too (really, leather minishorts and high heels…). This PPV was ridiculously stacked with good stuff (with a decent although irrelevant Steiner vs Harlem Heat match and the excellent Faces of Fear vs Mortis & Wrath power-spot-fest).

• 6 months later...

Larry coming to the ring and shoving Scott Hall to fast count a Luger pin got a HUGE pop. Of course, this would not work in the modern product because people would be worried about Hall looking weak. EYE-ROLL!

I loved this crowd they were super into everything all night. Luger felt like a HUGE star. DDP was over like rover. I have become a huge DDP in retrospect each performance just drips with effort. Hall's stooging was entertaining. Savage took that huge press slam bump and he was a great antagonist. Liz pulling DDP's hair to set up the eye rake was shocking. I liked this as an angle, but would have liked to seen a full on tag match between these four. Good stuff.

• 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1997-09-14-WCW-Fall Brawl] Lex Luger & DDP vs Scott Hall & Randy Savage