Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-09-15-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair face shot / Tony Schiavone reaction

Loss

• 1 month later...

Flair happened to be getting cosmetic surgery the next day, so in perfect timing, WCW was able to air a real photo of that and make it appear as Flair's face injury from the cage shot.

Tony Schiavone does maybe the best thing he's ever done. He got into wrestling because of Ric Flair and credits him for his career. He somberly says that he can't host the show tonight and walks off the set because he's too shaken up to do his job. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Tony is probably my announcer of the year so far and this was his finest moment so far really putting over the shock of what happened the night before. I again haven't seen this angle be bad so far as this is setting up the Horseman goading with some Horseman revenge.

• 5 months later...

Okay, for all the deserved criticism Tony got over the years for the last years of WCW, can we say that it's September 97 and Tony has regularly been *great* in selling key angles up until then ? Maybe it's time to give Schiavone the credit he deserves in the success of WCW's product during those hot years. To me he didn't fall off the cliff until mid 98, when the entire company was falling off the cliff anyway.

(and yeah, that Flair face shot was morbid to say the least)

• 1 year later...

I actually thought Schiavone's reaction to the Hennig turn was over-the-top at Fall Brawl, but I remember this being great at the time and it still is. Not really enough to justify the stupid Hennig turn, but pretty great. Tony is definitely neck-and-neck with JR for Announcer of the Year honors, and I don't know where I'm going to go.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-09-15-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair face shot / Tony Schiavone reaction