Pro Wrestling Only

Who was synonymous in a territory

MikeCampbell

Something that came across my mind during the 'Death of the territory' thread. Discounting those who owned the promotion, what wrestlers were synonymous with various territories? I don't think anyone worked for one territory and nobody else, even Lawler made the rounds, but I'm just wondering what wrestlers were more or less married to one place, to the point of when thinking of that promotion their name always springs to mind.

The ones I've thought off offhand.

Memphis: Bill Dundee, Phil Hickerson, and Eddie Gilbert.

Mid South: Dr. Death

One thing I'd like to know more about is the relationships between the NWA affiliates during the 1970s.

Were some offices closer with each other than others? For example, take Ole and Gene Anderson, they seemed to oscillate between JCP and GCW almost exclusively. There are a lot of guys who went back and forth between Georgia and Florida too.

I guess this might be partly a practicality of the geography, but were those three offices closer with each other, for example, than any of them were with say the Texas office? Just wondering really.

Bock - AWA

Verne and Greg too, for that matter.

Would you throw Billy Robinson in that AWA group as well?

I probably would, but a think a lot of people would think "Japan" as much as the AWA, since so much of what we have seen in terms of big matches of his come from there.