Pro Wrestling Only

Darren Young comes out as gay in TMZ airport interview

Bix

Clearly some shenanigans going on, but wow: http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/15/darren-young...-superstar-gay/

Cena's thoughts here: http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/15/john-cena-da...ay-support-wwe/

My immediate reaction is that most likely this was set up, as Young as pretty damn unphased. I'm less sure they told anyone, because while Cena's interview starts off well, it veers off to the point he clearly wasn't coached. Saying it's ok as long as he's "conducting himself professionally" and "not sneaking into the locker room" is not exactly what I'd expect from Cena if he knew this was coming.

Good for Young, though!

I feel good for him feeling comfortable enough to come out.

What are everyone's thoughts on Young as a wrestler? It would be nice to see him get a push based on his talent instead of the PR he'll be getting for this. In fact I hope they don't even mention that he's gay on any WWE TV, if that makes sense.

I will be surprised if WWE doesn't mention it on RAW and try to make Darren Young their Jason Collins, in an attempt to garner publicity. Since they seem to be going back to sports comparisons in their marketing plans recently, I could see them saying they had an athlete come out before the NFL or MLB, and trying to hype it.

What are everyone's thoughts on Young as a wrestler? It would be nice to see him get a push based on his talent instead of the PR he'll be getting for this. In fact I hope they don't even mention that he's gay on any WWE TV, if that makes sense.

They've already mentioned that he's taking part in their Be A Star program as part of the PPV weekend. That tells you right there the timing of all this.

I have been high on Young as both a singles and tag guy with Titus for the last couple of years. The guy works hard every time out, is a crazy bumper, and is one of several guys who is lost in the lower mid-card, which is a shame regardless of his sexual orientation.

Yeah... Dave's piece is rather weak. He want through a list of guys, none of whom was publicly out to the Fans while they were working in the WWWF/WWF/WWE. You'd kind of think Dave would see that when putting together the list.

As far as the WWF being "pro gay rights" for years, their outward facing portrayal of this on TV and PPV has been... not good.

I mean... look... Mitch McConnell is queerer than a three dollar bill. Everyone in DC knows it. And it's entirely possible that within his own bubble that Mitch has a "live and let live" attitude. But his outward facing words and actions for his entire political career have been... well... pretty damned fucked up towards LBGT rights and acceptance. Okay, let's be honest: Mitch the Political Character has been a straight up bigot on LGBT issues.

And that's what we really judge him on. Not how he acts in the closet at home with his beard wife. But his actions working the Mitch Character.

In turn, the WWF/WWE has been... pretty not-good on their TV. At times, pretty fucked up.

Does Young being open like this help change things? One could hope so. It's pro wrestling like politics, and I'm pretty jaded about both. So cross my fingers, and hope it leads to the WWE getting better on.

Saying it's ok as long as he's "conducting himself professionally" and "not sneaking into the locker room" is not exactly what I'd expect from Cena if he knew this was coming.

Cena has never handled this issue well, even when he should expect it coming. See this Wade Keller editorial, for example. Clearly, he knows he has to say he's cool with homosexuality publicly, but one gets vibes that he's not altogether comfortable with the idea.

Saying it's ok as long as he's "conducting himself professionally" and "not sneaking into the locker room" is not exactly what I'd expect from Cena if he knew this was coming.

Cena has never handled this issue well, even when he should expect it coming. See this Wade Keller editorial, for example. Clearly, he knows he has to say he's cool with homosexuality publicly, but one gets vibes that he's not altogether comfortable with the idea.

Good piece by Wade.

This is what I was trying to get at. You'd think that someone with a close family member who was gay wouldn't be so obtuse on the issue.

Yeah... Dave's piece is rather weak. He want through a list of guys, none of whom was publicly out to the Fans while they were working in the WWWF/WWF/WWE. You'd kind of think Dave would see that when putting together the list.

As far as the WWF being "pro gay rights" for years, their outward facing portrayal of this on TV and PPV has been... not good.

So we've had:

- Dustin Runnels taking crap from Scott Hall because he wasn't comfortable working with someone who portrayed a gay predator.

- Kanyon's closeted sexuality being mocked in a scripted angle ending with one of the most brutal beatings with a steel chair in WWE history, which led to him attempting suicide shortly thereafter.

- Orlando Jordan being fired by WWE for bringing his boyfriend on the road with him who may or may not have been underage in some states.

- OJ's TNA run where he was portrayed as a depraved bisexual, Spike TV execs being grossed out by kissing his boyfriend at the hotel room bar and Ric Flair ripping into his boyfriend's behaviour in public.

So a wrestler coming out is a non-issue?

My point was more that he's usually blatantly coached since I'd expect someone to tell him not to say what he said.

I wrote about the Cena homophobia stuff at Cageside, remember? :)

Good for Darren Young, one of the nicest promoters I ever worked for is gay (Thomas Simpson) & I think its cool he's comfortable enough within himself to come out & be openly gay in public & not try to hide it or be ashamed of it, it really comes down to the professionalism of the guys he works with, if they are true professionals it won't matter, as long as he does his job in the ring (which imo he does well) there will be no issues from this, unless they are in angle forms, I've said for years a workers sexual preference does not matter as long as they do what they're supposed to do when they are working, I'm not gay, I'm a Christian & while I don't agree with that choice or life style I don't judge other's who do, I wish him the best & hope good things happen for him, the Prime Time Playaz are entertaining as crap to me.... I'd like to see a tag title run for those guys!

It's not a choice or a lifestyle, any more so than being born with a cock or black is.

no one is born that way that's cop out garbage, its VERY much a choice, it's not comparable to your sex or race, those are things your born with, deciding you want to be in a relationship with the same sex is a choice period

It's not a choice or a lifestyle, any more so than being born with a cock or black is.

no one is born that way that's cop out garbage, its VERY much a choice, it's not comparable to your sex or race, those are things your born with, deciding you want to be in a relationship with the same sex is a choice period

So you can train your dick to get hard when looking at a man?

Deciding to be in any relationship is a choice, unless we are talking about a return to arranged marriages or slavery. Being physically attracted to certain things is much, much, much less likely to be a choice.

So you can train your dick to get hard when looking at a man?

Deciding to be in any relationship is a choice, unless we are talking about a return to arranged marriages or slavery. Being physically attracted to certain things is much, much, much less likely to be a choice.

I won't argue but your not born that way so it is a choice, but we all can believe what we want. I choose to Love women not men, its a choice that I made, I've been hit on in the gym & several other places by gay men, I choose to not go that route, I have several gay friends & never once has one told me they were born gay, they will openly tell you it's there ''preference'' which means its there choice, its the same thing