Pro Wrestling Only

Summerslam Live Thoughts

goodhelmet

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesnar/Punk:

On first watch, I think I like this more than Brock/Cena. I thought they struck a good balance between Brock being this ridiculous monster and Punk picking his spots because he's the "best". I love how spots like the 3 Amigos look so much more vicious when it's Lesnar doling them out since he's so strong and powerful. I thought Heyman was fantastic, being the difference whenever Punk started using the chair and really liked the tug of war spot on the apron. The Punk near falls felt deserved as it really felt that he was landing match-winning shots whenever he had the chance and had it not been for Heyman, he could have pulled off the upset. I really enjoyed this.

I really liked the bulk of Punk/Lesnar a lot, but I was annoyed by the fact that rib/back body part work on Punk really went nowhere and didn't even seem to bother him at all in the second half of the match. I agree that his strategic attacks were cool and I also give him a lot of credit for laying it in with his shots which is something that he doesn't always do. Brock looked pretty great too, though I admit that it's hard for me to adapt to him working a more pro wrestling style of match like this. This had the look and feel of a WWE Attitude Era main event, albeit one with much, much better work

Wow was that incredible. So much to *love* here. Punk's early knee strikes to bring down the bigger man. Brock working like the absolute perfect monster heel, never even going down from simple offense but requiring a crushing series of blows, or as the match went on, something super high impact to go down. Punk getting tossed around the way David needs to when Goliath throws him like a rag doll. The awesome sequence on the mat working the submissions. Lesnar selling the anaconda vice, and especially triangle, so damn well that I actually bought he'd tap. Near falls you bought as a finish, especially after Heyman's initial interference.

Brock Lesnar is the best character in wrestling today. Easily my US MOTY, and a strong contender for worldwide as well.

EDIT: Thanks to those who remembered the three amigos spot. That match did the damn thing. About the only flaw I can really pick at is Heyman playing so strongly into the finish, but at least it played into Punk going down. Sticking with Punk post-match and showing him recover, get to his feet and leave chin up was a great bit as well for him going forward.

As great as Brock has been in the last 2 years, imagine if he didn't have to deal with Triple H crap. Just an incredible match against Punk. Better than Cena I don't know because of the finish in the Cena match but just great. Not only is he making himself look like a killer he is really putting over his opponent as well.

Not sure if it was MOTY but I sure as hell liked it. I loved the aerial strategy. I loved the Chair as the great equalizer. I thought they did more to get the steel chair over as a meaningful entity than any WWE match in years. I watched Sabu vs Show from Summerslam 06 yesterday and this was actually sort of tame in the actual BIG SPOTS that they did compared to that but everything meant so much more between a) the selling and b> the fact that styles have been toned down so that things can actually breathe more. I think, weirdly, my favorite part might have been the downtime as Brock was getting the chair on the outside. And the tie-bit. I loved the tie bit. Oh, I loved the headbutt to the groin too. That was sort of a man vs god moment, where the man has an edge because he is mortal and thus knows he will someday die.

The moving away from the rib selling didn't bug me too much since Punk was really selling in that Bockwinkel Total Exhaustion sort of way.

As great as Brock has been in the last 2 years, imagine if he didn't have to deal with Triple H crap. Just an incredible match against Punk. Better than Cena I don't know because of the finish in the Cena match but just great. Not only is he making himself look like a killer he is really putting over his opponent as well.

Can't be overstated enough. Imagine if we could get a Punk/Lesnar HITC rematch. Fuck HHH.

I thought Punk/Lesnar was really good. The Kimura/arm bar/triangle segment was fantastic and they managed quite a few good near falls even with a luke warm LA crowd. It is definitely one of my favorite WWE matches of the year on first watch. For me, Punk's top three matches this year (this match, vs. Cena on RAW in February, and vs. Undertaker on WM) are as good of a top three matches in 2013 as anyone else has had this year.

I thought Punk/Lesnar was really good. The Kimura/arm bar/triangle segment was fantastic and they managed quite a few good near falls even with a luke warm LA crowd. It is definitely one of my favorite WWE matches of the year on first watch. For me, Punk's top three matches this year (this match, vs. Cena on RAW in February, and vs. Undertaker on WM) are as good of a top three matches in 2013 as anyone else has had this year.

The crowd sounded pretty loud on my screen. Much louder than the entirety of the HHH-Lesnar Wrestlemania match.

I don't want to come across as the guy shitting on Punk v. Lensar because I thought it was pretty great, but I really thought the Cena match was considerably better for a variety of reasons, perhaps the most important being that Cena v. Lensar felt completely unique.

Mixed tag was a fun spotfest. I actually like Big E a good bit

I agree with Dylan that the Cena match may have been better because it was Lesnar's big return so he didn't have the HHH stain on him yet and it was worked completely different than any other WWE match in the last... well ever. Still, with the limitations they worked within (no blood, WWE style), it was about as good as it gets.

Dylan, at least, will find this amusing. I tend to watch wrestling on the bike downstairs and stay out of everyone's way. At some point during Punk vs Brock, I apparently said "Come on!" loud enough, without realizing it that the 14 month old thought I wanted her to come to me downstairs, so she got her "little people" and were banging them upon the gate long enough for my 11 year old to come out of his room, where he was trying to sleep, and toss them across them across the room. Thus I caused discord throughout my household because I was into the match.

This should once and for all destroy the myth that I am an emotionless wretch.