Pro Wrestling Only

Summerslam Live Thoughts

goodhelmet

Joined in Progress (for me)...

RVD vs. Dean Ambrose

- Caught this with RVD putting Ambrose in a sleeper and Ambrose tossing RVD to the floor to escape. Ambrose sells great for RVD's tired offense but the crowd is into it. I was hoping RVD would have better strikes but they still look shitty. After a 5-star splash, Reigns spears RVD for the DQ. Man, the crowd was really into this but RVD's offense was so bad.

EDIT: Holy shit... HBK the Mountain Man!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kane vs. Bray Wyatt

- Bad debut for Wyatt. The flames hurt the match, did not add to it and Kane basically squashed Wyatt until Harper and Rowan are able to get into the ring so Wyatt can get the win. Bad start to the show.

EDIT: The post match looked like it would be Kane getting his head squashed but it was apparent that Kane wouldn't even make contact with the steel steps. Lame.

I don't know if I'd take it that far, but it was bad. I figured it'd be more angle than match. I just wish Wyatt would've played it more vicious.

He needs to be more dangerous than his lackeys. Like, there's these big scary dudes, but you really don't want to mess with the boss.

Problem with that match is that unless you buy in to the match type, you just won't be into the match. And that match is about as limiting a stip as there is.

Prematch show was alright. Ambrose was a folly for all of RVDs offense and didn't really get to do much outside of his stooging early on. Which was awesome.

Cody Rhodes vs. Damian Sandow

- Really smart for Sandow to focus on the back early on inlcuding the nasty looking side Sharpshooter/Lion Tamer. By the time, Cody hits the muscle buster to change the tide, the crowd was in the match. Bonus points to Cody selling the back after the Disaster Kick. Shit, I didn't think they would let Cody win it but I enjoyed the match the short time it lasted. Nothing earth shattering but good way to get the crowd back into the show after that abortion in the opener and the shit DQ in the pre-match.

I've watched way too much ROH and NJPW this year to pretend that was the worst match of the year but it did suck. On the other hand I expected it to suck and the visual of the fire off the big bumps was at least impressive. I was largely indifferent to it, perhaps it would have seemed worse if I was paying closer attention.

I thought Sandow v. Rhodes was a pretty good match. I hate Cody winning but he pretty much has to, especially with Sheamus out with injury.

Really enjoyed Cody/Sandow. I was hoping to see Cody sell the knee after Sandow swept the leg, and while that was asking too much he sold the back for a decent bit. All in all very fun and probably the best reaction Cody has gotten so far as a face. Also very surprised to see him get a clean pin. On another night you might say Sandow is cashing in tonight, but probably a safe bet they're saving the title change(s) to close out the show.

Per Meltz

The black eye Del Rio wil come out with and all the bruises on his face were the result of a fight either last night or today. Apparently Del Rio and Drew McIntyre ended up a big fight, I think with other people, and as far as what happened I don't know other than both were all beaten up when they showed up back at the hotel.

I know they were at a soccer match last night so that makes sense.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian

- I thought this was great. I think I like watching Del Rio more than most 1. I don't watch SD every week so I am not tired of his offense 2. He has come through every single time I have seen him live. I thought the fact Del Rio worked over the arm all match and his offense seems to be about taking advantage of opportunities more than just setting up contrived spots, Christian sold the arm and the match ended with the arm work actually meaning something. Big Thumbs Up! I also prefer Christian more as a face but that's an old talking point.