Pro Wrestling Only

90s Addendum Recommendations

Loss

I'd also like some recommendations about how to organize this. I don't think a straight chronological approach is the best approach. I'm thinking something like this.

MONDAY NIGHT WARS

- Additional Nitro and RAW stuff from 1995-1999

WWF

- Bonus TV Matches (Pre-MNW feature TV matches, post-MNW B-show stuff)

- Coliseum Video Exclusives

- Handheld Matches

- PPV Oversights

- Additional promos and angles

WCW

- Bonus TV Matches (B-shows and non-Nitro stuff)

- Clash of the Champions Oversights

- Handheld Matches

- PPV Oversights

ECW

- TV matches

- Fancams

- PPV oversights

U.S. INDIES

- SMW Bonus Matches

- Additional Memphis Matches & Angles

- Random Indy Stuff

------

LUCHA LIBRE

- Bonus matches

------

AROUND THE WORLD

- Bonus matches from Australia, Europe, Canada, Puerto Rico, etc

-------

THE BIG TWO

- All Japan Bonus Matches

** Triple Crown Title Defenses

** Double Tag Title Defenses

** Missed Star Ratings

** Alternate Versions of Matches Already On The Yearbook

** Championship Carnival Revisited

** Real World Tag League Revisited

** Noteworthy

- New Japan Bonus Matches

** IWGP Title Defenses

** IWGP Tag Title Defenses

** IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title Defenses

** Missed Star Ratings

** Alternate Versions of Matches Already On The Yearbook

** G-1 Climax Revisited

** Noteworthy

GARBAGE WRESTLING

- FMW Bonus Matches

- IWA Bonus Matches

- W*ING Bonus Matches

- BJPW Bonus Matches

SHOOT STYLE

- RINGS Bonus Matches

- UWF 2.0 Bonus Matches

- UWFI Bonus Matches

- PWFG Bonus Matches

- BattlARTS Bonus Matches

HIGH FLYING

- Michinoku Pro Bonus Matches

- Hamada's UWF Bonus Matches

- Toryumon Bonus Matches

WOMEN IN JAPAN

- Interpromotional Feud Bonus Matches (1992-1995)

- AJW Bonus Matches (Including the magic of the TV edit for matches already on the yearbook)

- JWP Bonus Matches

- LLPW Bonus Matches

- GAEA Bonus Matches

- Jd' Bonus Matches

INDIES IN JAPAN

- WAR Bonus Matches

- SWS Bonus Matches

- Special Events & Memorials

What kind of length are we looking at for each individual category? One 4-hour disc? Has that even been discussed yet?

Well, anyway, some random stuff that comes to mind that was either missed or cut for time/importance reasons. I'm also going to try to gather up any major title change ("major" meaning U.S. Big Two, Japan Big Two, or ECW) that didn't get included. I suppose I'll simply go back to this thread as more come to mind.

WWF:

- Tugboat vs. Bob Bradley (8/18/90 Superstars). Tugboat gets taken out of SummerSlam/Jesse Ventura's final Superstars appearance.

- Big Boss Man vs. Barbarian (1991 Royal Rumble). Not a very consequential match but a good one.

- Hulk Hogan on Arsenio Hall (ca. 7/23/91). This is on Youtube, so presumably it's available out there somewhere. A truly infamous segment that sort of sets the stage for the scandals to come in the next year.

- Interview: Jake Roberts' Survivor Series team (11/24/91 Survivor Series Showdown). Yet another incredible Jake promo ("Elizabeth...he won't be home for Christmas, baby.") Also includes the complete and uncensored snakebite attack.

- Ted DiBiase vs. Virgil (11/24/91 Survivor Series Showdown). Repo Man repossesses the Million $ Title.

- Update (3/1/92 Superstars). Announcement of DiBiase & IRS' tag title victory, formation of Money Inc., Natural Disasters face turn.

WCW:

- Steiner Brothers vs. Anderson/Eaton (SuperBrawl II). I know the reluctance not to have the entire PPV out there, but...

- "The Paulie Awards" (2/1/92 Worldwide). Which pays off later in the show when Steamboat comes in to rescue Brad Armstrong from a post-match attack by Rude, until Madusa and Rude overwhelm him and attack him with their gold statuette.

- Ricky Steamboat vs. Bobby Eaton (4/4/92 Worldwide). Possibly an interesting comparison piece to their terrific WCWSN match from '91, but mainly for the post-match angle. After weeks of build-up, Steamboat finally clocks Madusa in self-defense. He's immediately remorseful and apologetic, but the Dangerous Alliance swarm him, brutalize him with a chair, and then rub his face into the exposed concrete and break his nose. One of the best WCW angles of the year.

- Rick Rude vs. Nikita Koloff (8/9/92 Main Event). The debut of Jake Roberts. The best WCW angle of the year.

ECW:

- Shane Douglas vs. Pitbull 2 (10/5/96, ECW Arena). Shane hits the single-arm DDT that broke Pitbull 1's neck. Pitbull 1 enters the ring to try throw in the towel for his partner, and Douglas grabs his protective halo and shakes it. One of the greatest moments in ECW Arena history.

WOMEN IN JAPAN:

(I'm simply going to gather a list of matches that Meltzer gave **** or more to that didn't make the first cut):

- Bull Nakano/Kyoko Inoue vs. Akira Hokuto/Mariko Yoshida (6/5/91). ****

- Bull Nakano/Akira Hokuto vs. Aja Kong/Bison Kimura (aired 8/9/91, can't find taping date). ****1/4

- Manami Toyota vs. Kyoko Inoue (8/18/91). ****1/4

- Akira Hokuto vs. Suzuka Minami (8/18/91?). ****1/4

- Manami Toyota/Etsuko Mita vs. Bat Yoshinaga/Yumiko Hotta (10/4/91). ****1/4

- Aja Kong/Bison Kimura vs. Toshiyo Yamada/Kyoko Inoue (10/4/91). ****

- Toshiyo Yamada/Kyoko Inoue vs. Esther/Cynthia Moreno (10/26/91). "Highlights ... looked to be four-stars-plus"

- Bull Nakano/Akira Hokuto vs. Manami Toyota/Debbie Malenko (10/26/91). ****1/2

- Takako Inoue/Mariko Yoshida vs. Debbie Malenko/Sakie Hasegawa (1/5/92). ****1/4

(more to come)

JAPAN MISC.:

- Weekly Pro at the Tokyo Dome, 4/2/95. I guess this wasn't actually much of a card from a pure quality standpoint, but a match or two, or highlights, need to be included. I've heard good things about the AJPW 6-man in a "fall out of bed" sense.

EDIT 8/27: I'll keep updating this, but I think I'll get all the title changes in a separate post.

Major title changes not in the sets. It doesn't seem like Japan was in the habit of skipping out on televising big title matches by the 1990's, but it's possible that some of this didn't make tape.

IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE:

- Riki Choshu vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (12/26/90)

- Big Van Vader vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (3/4/91)

- Riki Choshu vs. The Great Muta (8/16/92)

- Shinya Hashimoto vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (4/4/94)

- Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Shinya Hashimoto (5/1/94)

IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE:

- Akira Nogami vs. Norio Honaga (11/5/91)

- El Samurai vs. Ultimo Dragon (11/22/92)

- Norio Honaga vs. Wild Pegasus (9/27/94 tournament final)

- Norio Honaga vs. Koji Kanemoto (2/19/95)

- Koji Kanemoto vs. Sabu (5/3/95)

- Sabu vs. Koji Kanemoto (6/14/95)

- Jushin Liger vs. El Samurai (7/6/97)

- El Samurai vs. Shinjiro Ohtani (8/10/97)

More to come.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to post here because my plan is to crowdsource the match listing for the addendum as much as possible. If you've already listed something in the other threads, you don't have to list it here again. But the normal draft work I do for a set hidden from view, I'm going to use this thread to do in plain sight this time around to ensure that nothing is missed.

Because MOTY sets have already been released. Plus, those years don't interest me much because of the lack of good angles and promos. More the former than the latter.

Makes sense, the reason I mark my own lost years as ending in 2005 was because that is where I started getting wrestling comps again, including the 2005 MOTY set. Glad I will finally be able to bridge the gap in my wrestling knowledge.

• 3 months later...

From November 1997 on the Saturday Night show the day before World War 3, the main event is a Giant vs. Meng match that's short but entertaining. It ends with Barbarian running in for the DQ, followed by Curt Hennig and Vincent attacking the Giant. From there you get the Saturday Night locker room hitting the ring and a brawl just breaks out. You get people like Bobby Eaton, Disorderly Conduct, Villanos, Horshu, Norman Smiley, etc. just brawling. Giant tosses luchadores around, Regal's throwing uppercuts, Eddie Guerrero gets spanked by the Giant. At the end Flair comes out in street clothes and goes after Hennig. It's on Dailymotion if anyone wants to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...