Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #3

Parv and James welcome back The Three Wise Men (Ricky Jackson, shoe and Johnny Sorrow).

Posted Image

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...e-to-july-1979/

Here is a visual aid for a portion of this show:

Posted Image

On the docket tonight:

06-09 TITO SANTANA vs MOOSE MONROE CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

06-23 TED DIBIASE vs PAT PATTERSON NORTH AMERICAN TITLE CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

07-79 JAY STRONGBOW PROMO WWF TV

07-21 JAY STRONGBOW vs GREG VALENTINE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

07-21 BOB BACKLUND/IVAN PUTSKI vs VALIANTS TAG TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

07-21 PAT PATTERSON vs TED DIBIASE NORTH AMERICAN TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

07-26 ANDRE THE GIANT/TED DIBIASE vs JERRY VALIANT/BARON SCICLUNA ATLANTIC CITY

Some other topics include:

- Bios for Tito Santana, Moose Monroe, Pat Patterson, Jay Strongbow, Baron Scicluna and Andre

- Yet more Gentleman Jerry Valiant detail

- More cheap innuendos than a Village People convention

- Some pretty major disagreements over a particular match

Guys, this is one of my favorite wrestling related podcast ever.

I was on the beach and a little buzzed (full disclosure) but I had numerous strange looks from people because I was laughing so much.

Highlights:

Parv asking Kelly to relate CFL to soccer

Parv trying to read Pattersons bio and building a deeper hole for himself

Sorrow's GMC impression

All the talk about the fat guy in the crowd

James declaring that we will see who will be on the next show at the end.

The discussion was also awesome and this is packed full of matches I have never seen so I can't wait to get to this disc.

Keep it up guys.

Chad glad you liked it. I so want you to watch the 30 minute Andre tag and throw some thoughts out there. I think I came across too negative of the match. It was just so long, and should have been booked for 8 minutes. Their are some cool aspects of the match. Though when you get 30 minutes you should be able to come up with some good stuff.

Actually, I just thought of a soccer analogy for the CFL for Parv. The CFL is basically MLS to the NFL's Premier League.

Also, if anyone cares, Lex Luger played for the Montreal Alouettes (at the age of 19) and Ron Simmons for the Ottawa Rough Riders (not to be confused with the Saskatchewan Roughriders), not the BC Lions.

• 3 weeks later...

Great disc of action.

06-09 TITO SANTANA vs MOOSE MONROE CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

Moose was so shitty and the highlight as Johnny put it was Bruno shitting on him on commentary. Tito looked good. *

06-23 TED DIBIASE vs PAT PATTERSON NORTH AMERICAN TITLE CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

Great studio style match with Pat squeaking out a contested victory much to the dismay of the audience. Ted showed some fire in his work and this got me anticipating the rematch very much. ***1/2

07-79 JAY STRONGBOW PROMO WWF TV

Pretty damn stoic

07-21 JAY STRONGBOW vs GREG VALENTINE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

This match even with my expectations raised from the podcast blew me away. Super heated brawl with Valentine being amazing with the juice job and selling and walking into Strongbow. They had such hatred and intensity in this match and it ended at the right time. Chaotic atmosphere with stuff around ringside being used as weapons. Countout ending was smart and this set up the Indian strap match. ****1/4

07-21 BOB BACKLUND/IVAN PUTSKI vs VALIANTS TAG TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

This match blew me away too. The Valiants again pushed the pace when on top and were cheating bastards. Backlund showed some fire and was a good partner. I didn't think he looked wimpy at all going to the back and coming back all stitched up to a huge pop. Putski looked way better here than in his previous appearance. Johnny V also should keep the beard because him as a bastard saying Going fly Now over the mic was a great heel move. Great fun match all around. ***1/2

07-21 PAT PATTERSON vs TED DIBIASE NORTH AMERICAN TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

Perfect 11 minute style match. Ted worked over the leg really well and Pat sold for him like a champ. Here is a match that I don't mind the babyface having 90% of the match because it played into the narrative that Ted had him, he just got a little overzealous on the big splashes and Patterson being the wily veteran immediately capitalizes for the victory. This was a great Spectrum show overall. ***3/4

07-26 ANDRE THE GIANT/TED DIBIASE vs JERRY VALIANT/BARON SCICLUNA ATLANTIC CITY

I am in team Parv/James on this one. Great tag match that I thought was going to be all schtick when it first started and it settled into a great southern tag structure. The hot tag to Andre was excruciating. I can see how it would be long for some but I never wavered on it since Andre kept trying to interject himself and Valiant was mixing in enough awesome stuff. Ted was a really good face in peril to taking a beating. The hot tag to Andre was as good as I expected it to be. ****

MVP of Disc: Ted Dibiase (3 solid matches although Valentine would be my 2nd choice getting a MOTYC out of Strongbow)

LVP of Disc: Moose (need I say more?)

I finally listened to this one as I haven't got to watching the third disc yet. For the prior two I went in having already viewed the matches - which definitely seems the way to go since most everyone else is enjoying them for the first time when they discuss.

Love that Johnny is defending my turf and putting over the Spectrum and the Philadelphia fanbase. I was six months old when these matches too place but good to know the crowds back then weren't too different.

And that guy with the 8mm camera was probably one of the founding fathers of tape trading. He was PWO 30 years too early. (the line about diabetes claiming both of his feet by now was $$$ Johnny. Literally laughed out loud there).