Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With the Past #2

goodhelmet

I just quickly listened to the Regal part as I was kind of the one who found Regal/Larry on Dailymotion during the Smarkschoice poll and I loved the Bret/Owen cage match and used to be a staunch defender of it in these circles, but I was expecting Loss to say something juicier.

I like Regal's television title reign in practice, but I don't know that it produced that many great matches. The Larry Z match is the high water mark. I need to re-watch that Arn match at some point as I remember liking it but not as much as Phil and Will. I agree that Windham was awesome in '93. He was awesome from '91-93 or at least up until his injury. Davey Boy Smith also had a strong series of matches against Vader around that time so I don't think that was an exceptional carry by Regal and it was only really quasi-British matwork with a Japanese influence. The best thing about Regal was that he was completely different from any other worker in the company or in the States, really, and I do think he deserves a lot of credit for getting a pretty foreign sort of style to work in a mostly TV studio setting, which I don't think he could have done without developing that aristocratic character. It was the perfect marriage between ring work and gimmick.

I just quickly listened to the Regal part as I was kind of the one who found Regal/Larry on Dailymotion during the Smarkschoice poll and I loved the Bret/Owen cage match and used to be a staunch defender of it in these circles, but I was expecting Loss to say something juicier.

I like Regal's television title reign in practice, but I don't know that it produced that many great matches. The Larry Z match is the high water mark. I need to re-watch that Arn match at some point as I remember liking it but not as much as Phil and Will. I agree that Windham was awesome in '93. He was awesome from '91-93 or at least up until his injury. Davey Boy Smith also had a strong series of matches against Vader around that time so I don't think that was an exceptional carry by Regal and it was only really quasi-British matwork with a Japanese influence. The best thing about Regal was that he was completely different from any other worker in the company or in the States, really, and I do think he deserves a lot of credit for getting a pretty foreign sort of style to work in a mostly TV studio setting, which I don't think he could have done without developing that aristocratic character. It was the perfect marriage between ring work and gimmick.

How much credit do we give to Bill Dundee?

I'm kidding. Regal's background in British comedy and what not is probably as much an influence.

Matt D trying to goad me and shoe into another Perez debate? I think he would have been a fine tv champion that could have been carried with some good fiery babyfaces.

88 JCP is a total blind spot to me. I just went to Graham's list and scanned for names that were there for any decent amount of time that would make sense. Brad Armstrong made some sense to me too. Or even Sullivan who could have had fun with it was an outlet for spreading his message. He'd want to keep the belt so he had TV time each week, etc.

Garvin would have been great for sure. Curious how his heel run would look.

I would have booked the turn that I'm a former World Champ. You don't boo World Champions. People said I was a closet champ . In fact people were afraid to face me. I won the title for you people and you thought I wasn't good enough. Something in that vain.