Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Results: Podcast and Discussion

goodhelmet

I am posting this here as a catch all for AWA results discussion as well as a discussion on the podcast...

http://placetobenation.com/good-will-wrest...s-of-the-1980s/

Will is joined by Dylan Hales of the Wrestling Culture podcast, wrestling statistician Chris Harrington from www.indeedwrestling.com and wrestling historian Kris Zellner to discuss the best matches of the AWA from the 1980s. Over three hours of audio enjoyment as we count down the Top 20 matches from the decade and discuss the greatness of wrestlers including Nick Bockwinkel, Stan Hansen, Curt Hennig, Rick Martel, Crusher Blackwell and Jumping Jim Brunzell!!! The matches discussed are a result of the DVDVR message board project conducted over the past year.

Mookieghana will follow with complete results not discussed in the podcast.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill just say that listening to the show the two things I was most disappointed about was that neither Hennig vs. Bockwinkel from 3/87 or Hansen vs. Leon White were in the top 20. I will hold off until Mookie posts the numbers but I do wish I kind of would have put Hansen vs. Leon at #2 because it is the match I have gone back and watched the most from a sheer entertainment standpoint.

To be honest there was very little about the top twenty five that I found disappointing. Obviously there was one match that I think got tanked (Martel v. Rheingans), but as with the other majorly polarizing match of that ilk (Wahoo v. Manny Strap) it floated almost exactly to the middle and I expected that. There were a few matches I thought should have been rated higher (Battle At The Bay Six-Man probably being the biggest one for me), but on first review of results there was nothing that I thought was absurdly low or absurdly high. Generally I was pretty happy with results.

You didn't like Wahoo v. Bock?

The number one pick shouldn't have surprised anyone who had followed the publicly posted ballots and discussion. If anything the biggest shock of the results to me was that it was as close as it was and that the number two match (which was my number one) actually had the lowest standard deviation.

I'll post my notes and other thoughts when I get a chance to listen to the show. I will say that I've seen the results and not much in the top 25 surprised me. Ditto with the bottom 10.

It was nice to follow the process and thought of everyone over the last year and change and to see appreciation for the AWA grow over that time.

Ken Patera, Jesse Ventura & Bobby Heenan vs. Hulk Hogan & High Flyers (3/13/83)

Loved it. The crowd heat. Heenan being such an asshole. Just thought everyone played their part in the match great. I had this as my immediate number one the first time I watched since it was on earlier discs as was just blown away by it. After multiple viewings it just solidified it's position and ended up being an easy decision for me at the top.

To me the most shocking result was how close the race for one was. Based on released ballots and chatter I figured Bock v. Hennig would win running away. It wasn't terribly close, in the sense that it would have taken one pretty big outlier ballot to shift things in favor of the 8/30/86 tag (my number one match), or a couple of ballots with the tag on top and Bock v. Hennig out of the top twenty (more likely, though probably not super likely). On the other hand it is possible that had the board not gone down and another five to ten ballots been submitted (which is what I think would have happened) that you could have seen 1 and 2 flip flop. I wouldn't say it is likely that would have happened, but it's not out of the realm and that shocks me based on the public statements and ballots that were released. The 8/30 tag match actually having the lowest standard deviation was a surprise too (though the difference there was marginal to be fair).

The other big stat that really jumps out at me which we touched on some in conversation, but I can't remember how much made air is the massive drop after the top four. After the top four matches, no match averaged a top twenty placement and only the top two averaged top ten placements. The top two were also the only matches on the entire set that didn't have a single vote below the half way mark for the set. Expanding a bit farther only the top nine averaged top thirty placements. I'm not sure offhand how those numbers compare to other sets and I'll check Chris' stats later, but going through the results those things really stood out to me