Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-10-08-NJPW] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Isamu Teranishi

Loss

• 2 years later...

WWF Junior Heavyweight Champion Tatsumi Fujinami vs Isamu Teranishi - NJPW 10/8/81

Is it just me or does Fujinami kinda look like Japanese Marky Mark?

Never heard of Teranishi before this match, but he brought it here. Best I have seen Fujinami look in a single match. I really thought he was fierce throughout this. The early matwork was intense and hard fought. It was fast-paced, but without ever feeling like it was exhibition. Teranishi came to play with strong wristlocks and a combination of dropkicks. Fujinami actually looked outpaced by Teranishi in a kayfabe sense always one step behind. It felt like when an underdog team in sports has really come to play and overwhelms the favorite early on. Pride gets the best of Teranishi and he holds onto wrist control, but takes an incredible amount of punishment as Fujinami brutalizes his chest with strikes. Eventually, Teranishi nails him with a headbutt, but Fujinami fires back with his precision dropkick. He looks for the Dragon Suplex, big pop, but Teranishi uses a leg trip to block and goes to work on the legs. Great tease! Teranishi fucking starts wailing on the side of Fujinami's head so Fujinami just fucking unloads. That's what a strike exchange should be! That was brutal. Dragon leg whip by Fujinami and I thought he looked awesome working over the leg. Everything (toeholds, figure-4s) was intense and painful. Really, really friggin' good! Teranishi's comeback does ignore Fujinami's awesome legwork as he is throwing Fujinami around and using dropkicks. That was probably the biggest blight on the match. Fujinami rolls through an O'Connor Roll into a German Suplex to win the match. Move this man up to the Heavyweight Division!

Short, but explosive match. I just loved the perpetual motion of both men always attacking. I loved the strike exchanges and the mat work. Fujinami looked awesome here going just unloading his offense. Great finish, a little short and could have used some more selling, but badass match. ****1/4

• 9 months later...

This was a pretty good and heated junior heavyweight match, if not a little sloppy at times. I liked Fujinami working a little more aggressive against Teranishi, especially with some of those strikes. The legwork was largely ignored but when these two are going back and forth on their feet, it's a lot of fun to watch. Loved the finish too.

• GSR changed the title to [1981-10-08-NJPW] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Isamu Teranishi